News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Virgin Megastore Times Sq- 'Must Close Soon'- Page 3

Virgin Megastore Times Sq- 'Must Close Soon'

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#50virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 12:07am

Unfortunate. I think it was perfect for its location, drawing the passerby, and had an amazingly wide selection. I just don't think a clothing store will fit well...

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#51virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 1:03am

I am wondering if ours will be closing in Denver. They have been doing the $10.00 sale for a while. I went in last week and couldn't believe the sales they were having. Jersey Boys and Wicked for 10 bucks. I saw a few others for cheap. Lot's of 50 percent off stuff. I need to get in there and take advantage of these sales. our store is a bit annoying because they change everything around like every other week. Which is one reason I stopped going. I go in to get something, it has been moved and you can't find someone to help you.

Just give the world Love.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#52virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 2:14pm

I think that something like Disney Quest would work well in Times Square. I did some reading about the one that was in Chicago. And, I found out that the reason why it didn't do so well was because of lack of advertising. I think that with Disney being in Times Square with their shows I think that this would be a good addition.

Hell,the one in Downtown Disney is still going strong.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#53virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 2:31pm

The one in Downtown Disney is "going" but hardly "strongly". There has been talk about it closing for a while due to flat attendance.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#54virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 4:25pm

I checked out DisneyQuest in Chicago just before it closed. The first problem with it was poor exposure. It was just off North Michigan and easily missed by tourist traffic. The concept was interesting, but poorly executed. It really boiled down to nothing but an overpriced video arcade. A few variety of solo games and some family-oriented "virtual reality" games such as rowing a raft in virtual rapids or working on a virtual pirate ship. They were the sort of things you would expect to see stuck in the middle of Navy Pier or at the top of the Empire State Building. It was just one building with a bunch of these attractions, each with its own price. Or you could get some sort of all-day pass, I believe. The only thing I liked was the actual 80s video arcade that featured unlimited plays on 80s video game machines. That was all I did when I was there. The rest was unimpressive.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

OSUBuckly
#55virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 4:30pm

Also, don't forget there is a Dave & Buster's a few blocks away on 42nd St, which is essentially the same thing as DisneyQuest.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#56virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 5:05pm

It would be good if they opened another Starbucks, but this time one you can get a seat!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#57virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 5:10pm

DisneyQuest is really just an overpriced, marginally higher-tech Dave & Buster's. Just with really dated virtual reality attractions.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#58virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 5:28pm

Dave and Buster's is far superior to DisneyQuest.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#59virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/23/09 at 5:59pm

The only arcade that I liked in Times Square was on 42nd street called Broadway City. However, I have noticed that 42nd street itself attracts a different kind of crowd of people the then the rest of times square does and it can be a problem. It closed a few years back after there was a shooting there and the BBQ resturant took its place.

The problem with a place like Dave and Buster's or the ESPN zone for that matter is that yes, you can enter if your 18+ or with someone who is. But, they give you strange looks the entire time.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#60virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 7:14pm

The Rumors have come true...The mouse has returned to Time Square. Now the question remains is the Theater in the lower level apart of Forever 21, MAC, Swarovski,or Disney? I snapped this on my phone as I walked by today sorry for the quality.

virgins must report to times sq

Updated On: 1/5/10 at 07:14 PM

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#61virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 7:58pm

wait..its going to be a broadway theater..or a store?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#62virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 8:05pm

The only reason the Downtown Disney Disney Quest is still open is because they have nothing to put into that mammoth building. Most of Downtown Disney is a ghost town these days to begin with- Pleasure Island is closed and the old Virgin store is closed. They do not want another large, empty building. It'll remain open for the time being.

wait..its going to be a broadway theater..or a store?
It's a store, but a Disney Store, not a World of Disney store. World of Disney stores are operated by the Parks and Resorts division, Disney Stores are not.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#63virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 8:08pm

Does this also mean that the Charmin Restrooms are going to be gone forever? I know they were there for the holidays only, but it was a fun place.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#64virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 8:21pm

The Disney store on 5th and 55th is closing and moving there.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#65virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 8:36pm

Give me Virgin anytime.

Poster Emeritus

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#66virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 8:50pm

The Disney store on 5th and 55th is closing and moving there.

Not entirely true. The store on 55th and 5th was a World of Disney store, which was operated by the Parks and Resorts Division. The new store is going to be a Disney store, which means it will be much smaller, not feature parks merchandise, and not be run by Parks and Resorts. There will surely be some merchandise overlap, but it's not as if the store is just moving.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#67virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:00pm

Damnit, so neither of these stores will offer park merchandise??

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#68virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:03pm

The one on 55th and 5th did, but the new one will not, no.

stee Profile Photo
stee
#69virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:58pm

Also, in the article...

"The new Disney store will feature technological advancements, as inspired by Steve Jobs of Apple Inc., including a new theater, where visitors can see Disney movies, TV and publishing in a “new way,” Disney's Mr. Fielding said. “We have projection televisions in all of our stores, but this will be presenting things in a new, immersive and experiential way that's never been done before.”

So I guess they are taking the theater in the basement.

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#70virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/5/10 at 10:43pm

Thank you stee for finding that! Im am excited to see this coming in, of course I would prefer Virgin. But working in the past with Disney and growing up with it at least Ill have something to occupy that time I need to kill when im downtown. Maybe get to see Pocahontus and Hunchback on the big screen again? I guess we will see...

Fanb
#71virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/6/10 at 2:49pm

I agree that this particular store was an ear-ache, but it is really sad in general that music stores are going away for good. I miss the Union Square Store and the Tower Records Store that was at Lincoln Square

metoog Profile Photo
metoog
#72virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/6/10 at 3:07pm

Another article...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10425166-92.html

"Perhaps trying to emulate the retail magic of Apple stores, Mickey Mouse & Co. will be transforming an old retail space in New York's Times Square into an interactive store with theme park attractions and children's exhibits.

Hoping to attract young consumers and their parents, the store will conjure up an interactive princess castle and a kids' theater offering animation and storytelling for the younger crowd. Also on display will be specific activities for kids, special events, and even celebrity guest appearances timed with major Disney film releases."

"there are people in our lives who change us in a way that nobody else can, and it's not necessarily the people you expect," Menzel

stee Profile Photo
stee
#73virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/6/10 at 4:20pm

I'm going to miss the old Virgin because it was a great place to kill time, but I also didn't spend much money there... so I guess I'm partly to blame for its demise!

I'm eager to see what Disney will do to the space... the times they are a changing, and to be honest I think a Disney store now makes sense in Times Square. Better that than the empty space it has been for years... and those Charmin bathrooms are convenient but only for one month out of the year.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#74virgins must report to times sq
Posted: 1/6/10 at 4:28pm

"I'm going to miss the old Virgin because it was a great place to kill time, but I also didn't spend much money there... so I guess I'm partly to blame for its demise!"

Trust me, you aren't alone. Their regularly-priced CDs were generally overpriced, but their sales were killer... not conducive to good business.

Videos