NEXT TO NORMAL:

Diana: Kate Winslet
Dan: Robert Downey Jr.
Natalie: Lea Michele
Gabe: Lucas Gabreel
Henry: James Franco
The Doctors: Philip Seymour Hoffman

more to come.

"I'm afraid this offer comes off the table... at midnight tonight." "...maybe the worst bluff I've ever seen." "Even the members of GOBIAS could agree on that one."

heo1128
#52re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:57am

I feel like Kate Winslet is a little too...regal for Diana. I love the idea of Toni Collette, though. And Michael C Hall as Dan? Best. casting. ever.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#53re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 1:08am

I disagree about Winslet. Watch her performance in Little Children. She's definitely able to play Diana.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

On_Avenue_Payt Profile Photo
On_Avenue_Payt
#54re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 1:15am

"Regal?"

Oh god no. Please tell me you've seen her performances in Holy Smoke!, The Reader, and especially Revolutionary Road & Little Children. Winslet has shown time and time again that she's one of, if not the most versatile actress of her generation, and she absolutely strives at playing the struggling suburbian housewife, which she has done more than once.

"I'm afraid this offer comes off the table... at midnight tonight." "...maybe the worst bluff I've ever seen." "Even the members of GOBIAS could agree on that one."

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#55re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 1:19am

On_Avenue,

I'm kind of in love with you for suggesting Robert Downey Jr. as Dan. that is so brilliant I can't take it.

heo1128
#56re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 1:20am

I've seen Revolutionary Road and Little Children, and I LOVE her as an actress, I just don't really see her as Diana. Not sure why, maybe 'regal' was the wrong word. It would definitely be interesting to see her in the role, though.

On_Avenue_Payt Profile Photo
On_Avenue_Payt
#57re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 1:30am

thank you! As soon as I saw this thread, that one came to me instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QRrkZA0KyQ

He's got a pretty good voice, deffenitly good enough for a film.. and he could act the pants off of Dan. He's fantastic.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#58re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 1:47am

Yeah I've been watching his season of Ally Mcbeal like all week in awe, he's brilliant. [ my favorite clip being the following- albeit he's 'dancing' and not singing..]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk68y2m5ZEk Updated On: 6/22/09 at 01:47 AM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#59re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 2:02am

RDJ is effing brilliant.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#60re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 6/22/09 at 5:08pm

it makes me sad that he doesn't plan to work on a 2nd album :/ his 1st was so great..

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#61re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/14/09 at 12:39pm

Everyone seems to agree on Jack black as Lonnie in ROA, but I recentely found out that Black's bandmate, Kyle Gass of Tenacious D, was the original Dennis. Teamign the two of them up would immediately bring in a large crowd for this movie.

Pennywise2 Profile Photo
Pennywise2
#62re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/14/09 at 12:41pm

K-age & JB would be awesome. I don't even like Rock of Ages but will see it for them.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#63re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/14/09 at 11:44pm

And as the corrupt mayor of LA, I can see Bill Hader doing a small, scene-stealing cameo for ROA.

AndAllThatJazz22
#64re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/15/09 at 8:32am

So are we going to cast Toni for Diana or Kate?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

claudioislove Profile Photo
claudioislove
#65re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/15/09 at 1:43pm

RDJ FANGIRLING? haha. RDJ as Dan is the most brilliant casting I have ever heard. The first time I heard him sing I legit sat there like :O. I adore his album haha. I adore HIM. Like asbfhlebhfwevbhfbwehfwbefhew haha. okay fangirling over.

anyway, they really need a not crappy film version of Hair. Casting would be difficult, because really no one comes to mind. I think it could totally work with "unknowns", but studios like names. I could see Jonathan Groff being Claude in a movie though.

Because I look different you think I'm subversive.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#66re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/16/09 at 8:46am

I truly don't think N2N would make a good movie at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#67re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/16/09 at 10:22am

It's a show that would open up beyond a bare stage fairly well. You've got a house in the suburbs, a school, two doctors' offices, a concert hall, a supermarket, a nightclub, the ECT wing of a hospital, the highway, a parking lot, a waiting room and an imaginary ballroom, plus numerous flashbacks to other locations, especially the hospital.

And its style is VERY close to the tone, characterization and writing of Alan Ball's "Six Feet Under." This television show could similarly have been done with a small cast on a bare stage, but didn't feel excessive in its style and scope. Granted, it was a different medium, but I only bring this up because, should N2N become a film, the comparisons would be inevitable. Someone would scream ripoff.

timesquare01
#68re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/16/09 at 11:22am

Kate Winslet as Diana would be pure beauty. Just thinking of her I Miss the Mountains is breathtaking.

And as far as visually working, I can so see parts of the film looking like an orange juice commercial and othe parts of it looking like the ring. you know? that drastic differance between the "perfect loving family" world and the reality of it all.

And James Franco as Henry is slowly growing on me.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#69re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/16/09 at 3:26pm

^I like that!

Also, really playing up the "Music Video" moments of Diana's inner life- notably "I'm Alive," and the cut numbers "Feeling Electric" and "Open Your Eyes." One of the trademarks of SFO was its surreal, half-reality, half-fantasy musical numbers that burst out of nowhere in its characters heads, from a hair-metal rendition of "And I Am Telling You" to a "Journey To The Center Of The Mind" that ends with a mad sniper.

claudioislove Profile Photo
claudioislove
#70re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/16/09 at 3:30pm

James Franco would be young enough to play Henry on stage, but I'm not sure in a movie.

Because I look different you think I'm subversive.

katie2
#71re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/16/09 at 5:19pm

After Tom Kitt tweeted that there was a next to normal movie in the works, I started thinking about casting and how well it would translate to the screen.

While I think it would make as good a movie musical as any, I don't think casting non-broadway would work for me.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#72re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/16/09 at 5:46pm

Did I miss the memo that says James Franco can sing?

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#73re: Film versions of CURRENT musicals
Posted: 7/16/09 at 6:22pm

My dream cast for Rock of Ages:

Drew: Constantine Maroulis
Sherrie: Reese Witherspoon
Lonny: Brad Pitt
Dennis: Kevin Bacon
Stacee Jaxx: Adam Lambert
Justice: Jennifer Hudson
Corrupt Mayor: Dennis Hopper