News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#8752024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/19/24 at 8:12am

inception said: "Was the footage shown on screen during big wins of production teams off stage all waving to the camera also pre-recorded?"

No, they lined up all the co-producers when it was time for the category and then shuffled the winners onto a platform. Jackson McHenry of Vulture took this video:

https://x.com/McHenryJD/status/1802688234217972074

MezzA101
Peter Barker
#8772024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/19/24 at 10:07pm

CurtainsUpat8 said: 

Raise your eyebrows all you would like. Why would using the word "disgusting" make me racist? lol The word fits the situation. Two superstars taking away the song of a 21 year old girl on the biggest night of her life... the night she WON the Tony. That is disgusting.

I'm not getting into the fray of accusations. I just find it odd to have a musical performance described in such a way. Unnecessary, maybe. Overreaching or even out of line. But you've made your position quite clear.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#8782024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/19/24 at 10:28pm

TheQuibbler said: "
No, they lined up all the co-producers when it was time for the category and then shuffled the winners onto a platform. Jackson McHenry of Vulturetook this video:
Thank-you for this.  One of the conspiracy theories going around on reddit was that the winners were known before the envelope was opened because people came and asked just the winning producers to come out of the main audience.  This proves is was producers from all the shows, and then only the winners filmed.

MadsonMelo
#8792024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/19/24 at 10:28pm

Just my 2cents because I really followed this race, but while last year was amazing, this year was ok for me. Not really different aside from the fact that DeBose (whom I love) was really lackuster. The camera work could be better, but most shows simply didn't have great numbers.

I think even with papers, most speeches were absolutely PERFECT. Groff, Young, Branden and many others.

Danya was the only shook of the night for me (I got really good winner predictions), and somehow that made me happy because I wasn't really into a jukebox winning Best Musical.

''Illinoise'' had the best performance of the night BY FAR, but the ''The Rumble'' part of ''The Outsiders'' was the highlight of the evening - sad if the show it's not on that level.

Strong, Paulson, Groff, Young, Radcliffe, Kecia... all my hopes were listened and people that I loved won.

I was very very sad for Kelli, but then again, you can't just win all.

Next year host: Rannells and Gad, please!

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#8802024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/24/24 at 1:53pm

I just found out the orchestra for the performances were pre recorded.  How embarrassing!  How could this be??

Videos