News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

OhHiii
#8252024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:18pm

Oh I agree entirely that the execution of HK was horrid. Same page there. It’s those that are bemoaning the entire conceit of celebrities performing with the cast that I’m referring to as clueless. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#8262024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:41pm

Cabaret winning set was definitely for the theatre renovation. The whole idea of this production is that it’s immersive and its cabaret at the Kit Kat klub even tho it’s not really a set

BamaEd
#8272024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:43pm

Overall I thought it was a good show. I know the show should be about the awards, but some of those speeches went on too long and it started with the first one. They have stuff to say, yes, but it can be a bit much at times. Plus, it caused performance clips to be cut for other categories (and it still went over). But at least they were mostly heartfelt.

My favorite speech moment was from Appropriate author Branden Jacobs-Jenkins. He was talking about want to share the award with Ossie Davis for Purlie Victorious because he said he wouldn't be there without Davis. He said how Ossie could come and haunt his bedroom and tell me his secrets (loved that!). He ended with "For those of you worried about Henrik Ibsen, he's been dead for over a hundred years and he's already won this twice." haha, I cackled. A seemingly uncomfortable moment, or just British reserve, when Merrily won for revival and producer Sarah Friedman brought her sister/director Maria up, it seemed like lingering resentment that she lost the Best Director award. Or else I just wanted drama.

The secondary group of producers being held offstage in some soundproof room looked odd on TV.

But still it was a good show. I put my performance thoughts on that thread, but I didn't mind the opener. As I said there, it's never high art, but it was entertaining. Chita should have had a bigger tribute. Nicole sounded GREAT but we need to open up the Broadway songbook to choose a few other songs. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#8282024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:45pm

Broadway Flash said: "Cabaret winning set was definitely for the theatre renovation. The whole idea of this production is that it’s immersive and its cabaret at the Kit Kat klub even tho it’s not really a set"

True but with cocktails starting at $29, a very very expensive Kit Kat Klub!!!!!! lol

MadsonMelo
#8292024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:49pm

Question: how many times a show won Book AND Score but lost Musical against a show that was also eligible in three categories?

I remember Into the Woods, Ragtime and Millie, and now Suffs. Did we had any other show that also did that?

I think ''The Outsiders'' is the first winner in the century not to win, score, book or an acting award.

KarenValentine'sheadband
#8302024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:54pm

I liked the two performance wins for HK but the rest of the show is a horror show of mediocrity. Thrilled it didn't win anything else. That performance was not very good last night. I do feel bad for Kelli though. 

The Cabaret moment would have been great if they'd just delete Eddie's part. He's the most over hyped actor/performance this season. Terrible and annoying to watch.

Happy The Outsiders won. It's great! 

Thrilled for the Suffs wins too. Wonderful music. She deserves the win. 

Peter Barker
#8312024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:57pm

"I think there should be a rule that only members of the cast can appear in any musical performance for the nominated shows. It's very misleading. And let's face it, Keyes' and Jay-Z's fanbases weren't ever going to be tuning in to the Tonys."

I am a fan of theater, the Tonys, musicals, and music. Right now Alicia Keyes represents all four. Your comment regarding fan bases is insensitive on many, many levels. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8322024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:16pm

The Tonys have a long history of performances by musical artists associated with - but not performing in - Broadway shows of that season. Marvin Hamlisch, Elton John, Dolly Parton, Sara Bareilles, Bret Michaels, Pete Townshend, Billy Joel......the list goes on. It makes for a much more interesting telecast and is a coup for the producers of the telecast and of the individual productions.

Not dissimilar to Hillary Clinton and Angelina Jolie introducing their respective musicals' performances, or a performer winning a Tony after they already left that production (Shalhoub/Band's Visit).

If any buyers have questions about who actually appears in the production on Broadway, it is their job to do their due diligence by visiting the show's website prior to buying tickets.

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 01:16 PM

ChiDoc Profile Photo
ChiDoc
#8332024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:19pm

MadsonMelo said: "Question: how many times a show won Book AND Score but lost Musical against a show that was also eligible in three categories?

I remember Into the Woods, Ragtime and Millie, and now Suffs. Did we had any other show that also did that?

I think ''The Outsiders'' is the first winner in the century not to win, score, book or an acting award.
"

I assume you meant Urinetown in that trio.  Otherwise, those are the only three that I could find that fit the parameters.

And The Outsiders is indeed the first.  Even Contact picked up two featured acting awards, because that would have otherwise been the most likely candidate.

broadfan327
#8342024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:26pm

ChiDoc said: "MadsonMelo said: "Question: how many times a show won Book AND Score but lost Musical against a show that was also eligible in three categories?

"

I assume you meant Urinetown in that trio. Otherwise, those are the only three that I could find that fit the parameters.

And The Outsiders is indeed the first. Even Contact picked up two featured acting awards, because that would have otherwise been the most likely candidate.
"

Spamalot was close.  Sara Ramirez won for Featured Actress, but did lose book and score.  Like The Outsiders, it also just won direction and best musical.  Seems in both cases they awarded the production, but didn't think the book or the score were the best...

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 01:26 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8352024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:33pm

The following shows won Best Book and Best Score but did not win Best Musical:

• The Drowsy Chaperone (Jersey Boys won Musical)
  • Urinetown (Millie won Musical)
  • Parade (Fosse won Musical)
  • Ragtime (Lion King won Musical)
  • Falsettos (Crazy For You won Musical)
  • Into the Woods (Phantom won Musical)
  • Woman of the Year (42nd Street won Musical)
  • On The 20th Century (Ain't Misbehavin' won Musical)

So it has happened not-infrequently, but this is the first time since 2006.

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 01:33 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#8362024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 1:35pm

I bought a ticket for July 15, when Marty Lauter is playing the Emcee. There were more tickets, they were cheaper, and after seeing him last night, I think I dodged a bullet.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#8372024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 2:27pm

Regarding box office...

I think The Outsiders will shoot into the stratosphere for awhile and settle into a solid run. Maybe not to a DEH/Hadestown run but def way longer than Kimberly or Strange Loop.

I think Hell's Kitchen and Cabaret will be just fine for quite awhile but I do think they might burn out quicker than some might think.

Water For Elephants will probably have a good summer but will struggle in the fall and close up around the New Year. Same for The Great Gatsby and BTTF.

I think Suffs will struggle to make it past the summer along with Tommy and The Notebook and of course Heart of R&R but who knows with that one.

Broadway Flash
#8382024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 2:38pm

Back to the future and great Gatsby are fully expecting to run well into 2025.  

chrishuyen
#8392024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 2:45pm

I do think Gatsby will continue to run for as long as Jeremy/Eva are in it.  BTTF grosses have softened a bit but it's still doing pretty well and I don't think the lack of Tonys will impact their audience that much, so I think it'll at least run through the end of the year but also probably longer.

I'd put Water for Elephants in more danger than Suffs simply because of how much their weekly running costs are (though I don't know how much it is for Suffs), but I think their performance would've intrigued a few people.  The Suffs performance seems to have gotten a mixed reception and I get that they probably would've wanted to perform something inspirational for the Tonys but I do wish they had picked more of a plot-driven number like Find a Way (which could've also segued nicely into a feature for Nikki M. James in Wait My Turn) to show more of what the show is about.

MezzA101
#8402024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 2:47pm

Daniel Radcliffe, Pete Townshend and Sarah Paulson Party for the Tonys

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/17/style/tony-awards-after-party.html?unlocked_article_code=1.0U0.BmJ4.qwIi6UbrzkaE

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8422024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 3:08pm

For any show doing well, the tide can change quickly. If the landlords have other tenants knocking, they can and will encourage shows to close if they are treading water or losing money, even if not technically in stop-clause territory.

GREAT GATSBY, WATER FOR ELEPHANTS, and BACK TO THE FUTURE are big and expensive, and hovering around the $1.1 mil mark means they start burning money IF their grosses drop by 200-400k. Not every producer wants to pour money into a sinking ship.

THE OUTSIDERS and HELL'S KITCHEN will be fine into 2025.

TOMMY and NOTEBOOK are the two I would expect to close around Labor Day if they drop much more (and HEART OF R&R before that).

I've never been able to predict how SUFFS will do, and it has exceeded my expectations financially and creatively. But I don't know if it will crack one year on Broadway.

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 03:08 PM

Broadway Flash
#8432024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 4:42pm

I heard they’re gonna be using the election as a way to market their show.  I’m sure Hillary will be talking about the stakes in the election and promote the show at the same time.  Back to the future had an amazingly successful partnership with the New York jets, I wonder if they will do more stuff like that this fall. And Gatsby is always doing new stuff to market themselves.  I hear Eva is leaving the show after her contract is up in March and Jeremy might extend.  They will then start to stunt cast.

hearthemsing22
#8442024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 4:51pm

Broadway Flash said: "I heard they’re gonna be using the election as a way to market their show. I’m sure Hillary will be talking about the stakes in the election and promote the show at the same time. Back to the future had an amazingly successful partnership with the New York jets, I wonder if they will do more stuff like that this fall. And Gatsby is always doing new stuff to market themselves. I hear Eva is leaving the show after her contract is up in March and Jeremy might extend. They will then start to stunt cast."

Do you think any other shows will try to stunt cast before throwing in the towel?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#8452024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 5:04pm

I've always loved to watch the marketing change at the theaters following award season. If anyone happens to grab pics of new marquees, posters, etc. I'd love to see them!

Zeppie2022
#8462024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 5:46pm

"I think there should be a rule that only members of the cast can appear in any musical performance for the nominated shows. It's very misleading. And let's face it, Keyes' and Jay-Z's fanbases weren't ever going to be tuning in to the Tonys."

Going by your statement, then Sara Bareilles could not have performed at Tony awards years ago when "Waitress" was nominated even though she wrote the music.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8472024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 5:48pm

As expected, viewership plunged down to 3.5 million viewers, a 14% hit from last year. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Zeppie2022
#8482024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 5:57pm

Sad to read TV ratings were down 14% from last year.

sppunk
#8492024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/17/24 at 6:01pm

One bonus with the decreased viewership is less people watched that trainwreck of a telecast. Maybe they’ll come back next year after hearing how bad this one was and whoever the new host will be. 

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 06:01 PM

Videos