pixeltracker

Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?- Page 4

Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#75Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/1/11 at 6:46pm

I finally saw Book of Mormon this afternoon and I honestly loved it. I was apprehensive that I would be let down because of all the hype, but I tried to forget all of that and I had a really great time. No, it's not profound, but it's very good and, imo, very funny. I also loved the score.

That said, The Scottsboro Boys remains one of the best things I have ever seen in a theater and if it were up to me, I would vote for them. But there is a 99.99999% chance that Book of Mormon is going to win, and I don't think it's undeserved at all.

bwayfan7000
#76Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/1/11 at 7:01pm

I still really love the fact that we're in a season where any of at least three shows could have a legitimate argument for winning the prize. Usually it's only one or two. Last year, it was none, really.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#77Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/1/11 at 7:10pm

I loved the score to scottsboro boys and I was listening to that up until I saw BOM. Since then all I listen to is BOM. I think it's the most brilliant original score this season. But if Catch me or Scottsboro win Best Musical I will not be upset, just as long as BOM gets best score.

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#78Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/1/11 at 11:53pm

bwayfan7000: Amen to that. Last year was an oddly weak season.

I think the decision should be a mix of merit and box office results. Although, since the critics are no longer Tony voters, I think the box office component will be the stronger criterion, which is sad. For me, the downside of awarding the Best Musical Tony to Scottsboro Boys is that it's not gonna help the theater industry as much as awarding it to BoM (assuming Tonys have a positive effect on sales). The award will not resurrect the Scottsboro Boys production, so no theater jobs are created/maintained (that's under the assumption that SB isn't having a tour). Whereas, if the Tony is awarded to BoM, it might help the show run longer and possibly increase ticket sales when it goes on tour (i.e. creating/maintaining jobs in the theater). Now, a similar argument could be said that BoM will have a good long run and high ticket sales without a Tony (because of hype, etc.), so might as well award it to the more deserving show.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.
Updated On: 6/2/11 at 11:53 PM

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#79Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/2/11 at 12:23am

A show that got rave reviews and is sold out through the summer and posting great grosses every week like Book of Mormon does not need a Tony win to help boost sales. People are already interested and snatching up any available tickets at outrageous prices. I honestly don't believe that a Tony win for best musical will extend their run any longer than it will be anyway. I think a Best Musical win for The Scottsboro Boys would be an excellent way to honor a show that I believe truly deserves every award it's nominated for (and more). I know it won't happen, but I'll hold out a little bit of hope until June 12th!

viola13
#80Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/2/11 at 2:04am

Finally saw Book of Mormon today. I enjoyed it, but count me on the Scottsboro Boys train. I've made my peace with BoM winning though. lol

binau Profile Photo
binau
#81Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/2/11 at 2:13am

Plus, a best musical win of SCOTTSBORO BOYS could help its life outside of NYC....so it's not like there would be *no* commercial value..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#82Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/2/11 at 8:08am

Has a show that's closed ever won best musical? Especially one that's been closed for as long as Scottsboro Boys?

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#83Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 6/2/11 at 8:38am

Hallelujah, Baby!

It was, however, the best show in a crap season.

Videos