Dames at Sea Previews

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#75Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/1/15 at 10:42am

Has anyone rushed this show recently? Wondering how the seats are and what time to get to the box office...so glad people are loving it!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#76Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/1/15 at 12:06pm

Jshan, I reported my experience at the rush earlier in the thread:

"For those curious about rush: I got there are at about 9:40 or so, and was about 5th or 6th in line. Side orchestra row C - marked as partial view, but I didn't miss a thing."

That was less than a week ago. I doubt it's gotten much more crowded since then. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#77Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/1/15 at 1:10pm

Here's a good, brief piece about the original development of Dames: http://unsungbroadway.com/bway-bound-dames-at-sea-makes-a-star-of-bernadette-peters-opening-off-bway-in-1968-video/

I've seen 5 different productions, and worked on another; to me, it always seems to work best when it's at its smallest and cheapest. The point behind the spoof is that these six performers are trying to do the equivalent of an old Warner Brothers musical on a budget of about $50. The old Caffe Cino, where it started, had no set (except for mirror tiles on the wall), an 8x8 foot stage, thrown together thrift-store costumes, very few lights, glitter, and an audience of 50 (at most), mere inches from the actors.

Perhaps, though, it might be best to cut the spoof/satire element for today's audience - the thing that made Peters' performance work so well originally is that she knew that the audience remembered Ruby Keeler from those films. It wasn't so much that Keeler couldn't act, it was that she just didn't act. Her performances are models of dead-inside deadpan. If a modern audience, particularly the kind that go to Broadway musicals, wouldn't be able to recognize a satire (something most Broadway audiences can't do anyway), perhaps a glossier version of the show, with extended dance sequences that do little more for the show than give the cast more exercise, really is the way to go. But I just can't work up much enthusiasm for it...

Updated On: 10/1/15 at 01:10 PM

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#78Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/1/15 at 1:30pm

JBroadway-didn't see that in the thread, but thanks for reposting! :)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#79Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/1/15 at 1:40pm

I saw this last night. It's a fun and cute show, but I can't say that I loved it.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

cc5916
#80Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/1/15 at 3:58pm

I adored it. Two hours of great singing and dancing makes for a very fun and enjoyable show. It may not change your life but it will put a smile on your face. And what's not to love about that? 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#81Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/1/15 at 6:16pm

Jshan05 said: "Has anyone rushed this show recently? Wondering how the seats are and what time to get to the box office...so glad people are loving it!

"

I got there around 6:15pm last night for the 8pm show, and got E11 in the orchestra. Definitely partial view but not horrible. 

What at a fun, charming little show. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#82Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 7:55pm

We caught the Saturday matinee and absolutely loved every minute of this show. We are subscribers to Encores! at City Center so this type of show is our favorite.  The choreography is the star.  I also really loved Davi and Bolton.  My fingers are crossed that Davi is recognized come Tony nominations. She really was delightful.

i was in the rear Mezz in a TDF seat and had a good view but I will need to go back to see this again from a closer vantage point. I heartily recommend this show as I know it will be one of my favorites for the season.

Updated On: 10/4/15 at 07:55 PM

Trish2
#83Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 8:13pm

Hey Melissa25, Just curious about your TDF seat. Was it in the last few rows of mezz? I'm considering going thru TDF, but was curious of seat locations via that venue. It's interesting that the show is opening in three weeks and there hasn't been much press about it. It's always been a favorite of mine, but would like to have a good view of course. Thanks.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#84Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 8:19pm

Last week my TDF seat was row E of the mezz but in the center. It was a great seat.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#85Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 8:29pm

Trish2- we were in the center of row H.

Last week I noticed that they were running commercials frequently for DAS during the morning news shows.

Golenboybway
#86Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/5/15 at 12:00am

My TDF seat was Row C in the Left Mezz but I was on the aisle and it was a great seat

mamaleh
#87Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/5/15 at 12:13am

I never saw the original production that catapulted Bernadette Peters to fame.  I'm assuming Ruby is supposed to be the star of the piece.  In the current production, however, Lesli Margherita is so hilariously over the top -- besides being an excellent tapper, something I didn't know from seeing her in MATILDA -- that, for me, she became the central character.  Eloise Kropp, et. al. (especially the very funny John Bolton) were very able performers and fabulous dancers, but the focal point became confusing. It's one joke stretched pretty thinly, but still upbeat fun and not a bad way to spend two hours. 

Brian07663NJ
#88Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/5/15 at 8:40am

Thought it to be dull, drab and barely able to call itself a show. It appeared to be a cross between Anything Goes and 42nd Street with neither the melody of Cole Porter nor the pizzazz of Gower Champion's Chorepgraphy. Lesli Margherita (as Mona Kent) was great but too many times I was thinking she was channeling Patti LuPone in her acting. The only other stand out performer was Eloise Kropp (as Ruby). Eloise truly made you believe she was naive and she had the best number in the entire show at the end of act 2. Unfortunately, that one wow tap number wouldn't be the reason to go. The audience loved the show and was very reactive. Although this wasn't a hit for me it was nice to see that so many really did love it. 

Trish2
#89Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/5/15 at 3:21pm

Thanks, Melissa25! Those mezzanine seats don't sound too bad. I work days so haven't  seen any morning commercials, but will keep an eye out for it and any other press that comes out.

Brian07663NJ
#90Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/5/15 at 3:59pm

Trish2 - it is a really small theater - no matter where you sit you will have a good view.

Traci Profile Photo
Traci
#91Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 10:38am

For those who have gotten the student rush tickets, did the Box Office ask for your student ID? After seeing the shows first preview and friends missing out the chance to see it last week I really want them to see it this coming weekend while they are in town again. I can't recall a single theater that's actually asked to see my ID when it's been listed as a 'student rush' and was wondering if it would be worth it to bring my friends to get tickets despite their not having student ID's. 

~Avatar: Alan ming~

~Official Member of GFU~
~Member of C...FU, whose official color is cat blue, which is quite different than royal blue!~
~Because no one puts Mary in their signature~

~"OMG I Peed!" -Anthony Rapp (His reaction to the 'Everybody Has AIDS' song from Team America

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#92Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 10:53am

Not sure about this show itself, but both times I did the student rush for 'The Visit' they did ask for my ID. I know it's not the same show obviously, but I do think some shows are a little more strict than others...

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#93Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 12:28pm

Yes, some shows are indeed more strict than others, but Dames at Sea DID ask for my student ID, as well as the person I was with. 

Jeremy12
#94Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 12:51pm

http://www.innewyork.com/blog/daily-nyc/entertainment/tap-centric-%E2%80%98dames-sea%E2%80%99-sails-broadway

Has anyone seen this review? Glad to see this show is getting some good buzz... I absolutely loved it when I saw it on Friday night!

Trish2
#95Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 6:20pm

Brian07663NJ said: "Trish2 - it is a really small theater - no matter where you sit you will have a good view.

Thanks, Brian!

"

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#96Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 6:22pm

Well, they typically don't want press to be reviewing it until it opens, so that review is only rare at this point since it shouldn't have run yet...

#97Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/6/15 at 8:19pm

fantastic reviews so far! Cant wait to see it!!

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#98Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 10:14am

Count me in on the plus side. Amazing performances all around and some great tap dancing. How can you not be drawn in by that talented cast who are all giving 110% ? It’s the perfect theatre for the show and I loved the clever opening. Nice full house and very receptive audience. The numbers are so catchy, clever and just plain fun. I enjoyed all of the cracker-jack cast and thought they each uniquely fit their roles. Skinner gave them some pretty intense tap choreography, and you’re not going to find just any great singer to pull off that material. You hear every delicious, syncopated sound. In STAR TAR, Eloise Kropp did some of the best tap dancing from a female lead on Broadway since I can remember. Fantastic!

For Trish2, there are several articles out there on the show. I’ve included some below.

The director:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/BWW-Interview-Broadway-DirectorChoreographer-Randy-Skinner-Gets-Tap-Happy-with-DAMES-AT-SEA-20151007

The show:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/theater/dames-at-sea-embraces-those-happy-days-and-corny-jokes.html?ref=theater&_r=0

The cast:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-DAMES-AT-SEA-Company-Talks-About-The-Tap-Dancers-Who-Influenced-Them-20151006

Trish2
#99Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 2:42pm

CukorLover said: " Count me in on the plus side. Amazing performances all around and some great tap dancing. How can you not be drawn in by that talented cast who are all giving 110% ? It’s the perfect theatre for the show and I loved the clever opening. Nice full house and very receptive audience. The numbers are so catchy, clever and just plain fun. I enjoyed all of the cracker-jack cast and thought they each uniquely fit their roles. Skinner gave them some pretty intense tap choreography, and you’re not going to find just any great singer to pull off that material. You hear every delicious, syncopated sound. In STAR TAR, Eloise Kropp did some of the best tap dancing from a female lead on Broadway since I can remember. Fantastic!

For Trish2, there are several articles out there on the show. I’ve included some below:

The director:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/BWW-Interview-Broadway-DirectorChoreographer-Randy-Skinner-Gets-Tap-Happy-with-DAMES-AT-SEA-20151007

The show:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/theater/dames-at-sea-embraces-those-happy-days-and-corny-jokes.html?ref=theater&_r=0

The cast:
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-DAMES-AT-SEA-Company-Talks-About-The-Tap-Dancers-Who-Influenced-Them-20151006

Thank you so much for that great review and all the info!

I just got my tickets for next week!  Dames at Sea Previews

"

Videos