AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#75AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:25pm

I actually agree Whizzer.  I think Brantley's take was actually more on target than Green's this time.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#76AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:30pm

Isn't Alice Ripley in the show anymore?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#77AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:32pm

Yes, Ripley plays a few small roles. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#78AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:49pm

Time Out (Feldman) is super short and is mixed:

"Rupert Goold’s production looks terrific; the attractive cast is the meat in Es Devlin’s set, the world’s hippest minimalist abattoir. Fans of Bret Easton Ellis’s gruesome 1991 novel, and especially of Mary Harron’s less explicit 2000 film version, will scream with delighted recognition, and there are sharp performances: Heléne Yorke as Patrick’s girlfriend, Jennifer Damiano as his secretary, Theo Stockman as a nasty friend. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa’s adaptation emphasizes (perforce) humor over gore and tries to hint at a sensitive soul behind Patrick’s sleek facade. But numbness sets in. American Psychois about an idea of a person doing an idea of very bad things, as seen from a safely stylish and ironic remove. Neither the violence nor the satire can cut very deep when its targets are so thin. For all its splatter, the show feels bloodless."

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/american-psycho

nolanativeny
#79AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:56pm

I'm not surprised about the complaints regarding tone. I mean Glee was one of the most unfocused tone-wise shows I've ever seen. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the uneven tone just works for whatever reason. 

Oh well. Critics were mixed. Doesn't stop me from loving it and going back 1 or 5 more times. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#80AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:57pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Yeah, I don't think the Tony nominators give a fig about reviews. They're going to nominate what they liked plain and simple. 

The Visit didn't get particularly nice reviews last season, save for Chita, and the box office was dead-still the committee as a whole must have loved/respected it because it got quite a few nominations including Best Musical.
"

I think we all knew that unless The Visit was panned by the critics, there was still gonna be a lot of respect for it because it was the final Kander & Ebb musical to have made it to Broadway as well as the long journey it took to get there.

massofmen
#81AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:58pm

jesse Green is a horrible reviewer. Its like he takes musicals personally when they aren't up to his lofty standards. He is pretentious and his reviews are mainly about him and not the show. 

I think Matt Windham from AMNY is one of the best reviewers we have today. I wish he was with a bigger paper. even when he dislikes something he always seems to try to find something positive about it. 
actually this gives me an idea for a post:

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#82AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:05am

ethan231h said: "I wonder what will happen with the tonys.... the reviews haven't really said anything about Helene York in which i really hope get at least a nomination..."

Actually, almost every time she was mentioned, it was along with good things.

"Eye-rollingly entertaining."

"Vivid."

"Hilarious."

"There are sharp performances: Heléne Yorke as Patrick’s girlfriend."

I say she has a fighting chance. She really deserves it. She's incredible in this show.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Wilmingtom
#83AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:14am

The Tony nominating committee and voters take pride in having their own, often very strong thoughts about the shows they see and are not influenced by the reviews.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#84AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:16am

^Though they sometimes do agree with each other.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#85AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 12:56am

Best pull quote-----'Gives you a killer buzz'.

Wilmingtom
#86AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 1:09am

Yes Jeffrey, they do sometimes agree with each other just as we all sometimes agree with certain critics on certain shows. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#87AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 1:39am

ethan231h said: "It's almost like the critiques didn't understand the show, but then there is the regular theatre people that go often to show that totally understood what the show was trying to do. Such a shame that the reviews are what they are. the show is really a masterpiece"

Couldn't it be that they understood the show and none of them thought it was a masterpiece?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#88AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 1:54am

I was there tonight for opening night. The show was good. Not amazing, but good. And after following Brantley's reviews this season (and meeting him in person) I think he need to retire. 

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#89AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 4:49am

Positive http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-american-psycho-review-20160423-column.html

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#90AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 4:58am

Ben Brantley is hot!

songanddanceman2
#91AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 4:58am

Mixed to negative http://www.northjersey.com/arts-and-entertainment/theater/making-a-killing-in-the-self-absorbed-1980s-1.1550873

i have to say that the oddest thing is to hear things like 'it's not scary' or 'why the need for this show' and 'he's not sympathetic'.....are they kidding?

its like they are trying to push it in to a traditional theatre mould that they would want to see and clearly that's not what it is, it's the total reverse. As for the 'why?' Well why does any musical exist? 

Very odd night though, I don't think I've seen such a mixed set of reviews in a long time. 

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#92AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 5:08am

songanddanceman2 said: "But did they really think a musical would do that kind of gore and sex? And if it's a heavily stylised piece and that's something they like then how else would they possibly do the violence?

SADM2 I'm sure you've read the original book, (I really hated its misogyny), but the thing is, if you use that source material, you ought to be true to it.

This adaptation (in London) was a Disnification of the book and the time- which is why I found it so bloodless.

I expect you can recall that production of Titus Andronicus at the Globe a couple of years ago where people were fainting in droves.  American Psycho- if you're really going to do American Psycho- ought to have them heaving into buckets.  This show- not its subject matter- is too superficial.

songanddanceman2
#93AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 5:35am

Of course I've read the book and I think this is very true to it, more so than the film. The book was hilarious and every other moment was a ridiculous dig at the 80s Regan Greed is good. It would appear that some think the book is this dark thing so the musical fails where as others think it's a satire that drips with comedy so think the musical nailed it. In reality I don't think most the critics read the book. This adaptation to me is a perfect way to take on this material, it's glossy, flashy, fun and oozes style, just like it should be. It's not about heart, it's not about love, it's not about redemption like so many other musicals, it's mean spirited and a satirical look at shallow. 

Lets be honest if they had made this darker, sicker and more disturbing as some as the critics seem to want then those same critics would have complained about that as well. 

I didn't hate the misogyny in the book, that was these guys world, just like the constant using of the word f****t, it's part of that culture 

Eliva1
#94Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 5:37am

Everyone made this musical to be best thing since sliced bread. It is not. You made me thing this might even be the best musical ever it is not. Its far far from anything good

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#95Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 5:48am

I'm sure you're right that critics would have been uncomfortable if the musical was as graphic as the book (I'm thinking coat hangers and rodents) but my reaction to the show is that it falls into the trap of glorifying/ revelling in the thing it was meant to hate- rather like the way the novel's satirical use of Les Mis as a commodity has turned this show into... a commodity.

I feel the same way about Tarantino's alleged "ironic" use of extreme violence.

songanddanceman2
#96Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 5:56am

The best review they have that they should use on the marquee is that Mr Ellis liked it when he watched it the other night, if he thinks it's done right and he wrote the book then that's the main thing.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#97Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 6:12am

Oh come on!  That's a press release and a writer talking on the record.  It's no indication of what he really thinks at all.  He is receiving money from this production after all.

songanddanceman2
#98Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 6:17am

He skipped the London production because he had no interest, he was seen at the theatre looking nervous about the show and overheard talking before the show that he was not sure if it would work. Ellis has NEVER said a 'line' producers want him to say, he openly said he didn't like the end of the show because they softened it, I'm pretty sure producers had zero to do with that. He enjoyed the show so much that he accepted their invitation to last nights show (one he ignored in London). 

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#99Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 6:20am

"Showbiz.  It's all showbiz"

Videos