ANASTASIA Reviews

VintageSnarker
#75ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:35pm

Butter Broadway said: "(When I saw it, a second-act kiss was greeted with deafening shrieks of approval.)"

Oh Lord. I'm trying to avoid the actual reviews but I wanted to get a sense of the reception. The show seems to be selling well enough that I can wait out the first few months of superfans and hopefully go when there's less screaming. Christy doesn't have a red wig, right? I wonder if the Ivanka comparison might have been avoided if she wasn't blond. But then that seems an odd thing to mention anyway unless there was something relevant in the plot. 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#76ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:36pm

I've learned to stop trying to understand how Ben Brantley works, but even for him that seemed way harsher than it needed to be. Also, I feel like Trump references in any written piece nowadays is super lazy and reaching for relevance, but that's just me. Overall, some good reviews, some mixed, and a few not so great, but like Wicked before it, this was never going to be a critics darling of a show. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ForB4
#77ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:39pm

adamgreer said: "If Laura Osnes picks up good reviews when Bandstand opens, I would say there's a strong possibility that she, not Altomare, nabs the last slot for Leading Actress in a Musical (with the other four going to Bette, Patti, Ebersole, and Denee Benton). 

"

I mean Altomare is getting praise so I'd say she's still a contender. I don't know about Benton getting the nom tho..

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#78ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:41pm

Super happy that Christy got praise that she deserved! So proud!

JVJ93
#79ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:42pm

ForB4 said: "adamgreer said: "If Laura Osnes picks up good reviews when Bandstand opens, I would say there's a strong possibility that she, not Altomare, nabs the last slot for Leading Actress in a Musical (with the other four going to Bette, Patti, Ebersole, and Denee Benton). 

Ya'll

"

I mean Altomare is getting praise so I'd say she's still a contender. I don't know about Benton getting the nom tho..

"

Ya'll, don't sleep on Eva Noblezada. She's magnificent 

disneybroadwayfan22
#80ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:43pm

adamgreer said: "If Laura Osnes picks up good reviews when Bandstand opens, I would say there's a strong possibility that she, not Altomare, nabs the last slot for Leading Actress in a Musical (with the other four going to Bette, Patti, Ebersole, and Denee Benton). 

"

Yeah, with Laura getting standing ovations every night, I can easily picture Laura getting the fifth slot.

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#81ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:47pm

We also can't forget Phillipa Soo, although there's no doubt bad reviews are going to hurt Altomare, Soo, and even Noblezada. I think Benton and Osnes get in.

RW3
#82ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:48pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "adamgreer said: "If Laura Osnes picks up good reviews when Bandstand opens, I would say there's a strong possibility that she, not Altomare, nabs the last slot for Leading Actress in a Musical (with the other four going to Bette, Patti, Ebersole, and Denee Benton). 

"

Yeah, with Laura getting standing ovations every night, I can easily picture Laura getting the fifth slot.

That's happening? Hm. #TheMoreYouKnow

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#83ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:48pm

Butter Broadway said: "We also can't forget Phillipa Soo

"

Yes, we can. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#84ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:50pm

Phillipa Soo is one of my favorite working actresses, but she's not getting a Tony nomination this season.

I still think Altomare has a solid shot at a nomination. Again, think about Wicked: mixed critical reception for the show itself, but praise for its stars. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#85ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:51pm

JVJ93 said: "ForB4 said: "adamgreer said: "If Laura Osnes picks up good reviews when Bandstand opens, I would say there's a strong possibility that she, not Altomare, nabs the last slot for Leading Actress in a Musical (with the other four going to Bette, Patti, Ebersole, and Denee Benton)."

"I mean Altomare is getting praise so I'd say she's still a contender. I don't know about Benton getting the nom tho..
"

"Ya'll, don't sleep on Eva Noblezada. She's magnificent 
"

I don't mean to beat a dead horse again, but the Lead Actress in a Musical category for the last two years has been filled with performers from productions that were nominated for Best Musical and/or Best Revival.

ForB4
#86ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:51pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "I've learned to stop trying to understand how Ben Brantley works, but even for him that seemed way harsher than it needed to be. Also, I feel like Trump references in any written piece nowadays is super lazy and reaching for relevance, but that's just me. Overall, some good reviews, some mixed, and a few not so great, but like Wicked before it, this was never going to be a critics darling of a show. 

"

Yup this def feels like another Wicked. I really hope that Christy gets the nomination!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#87ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:52pm

Wicked was/is a cultural phenomenon. Anastasia is not. 

djoko84
#88ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:53pm

So these bad reviews seals the four nominees: DEH, CFA, TGC, and GD.

disneybroadwayfan22
#89ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:54pm

RW3 said: "Yeah, with Laura getting standing ovations every night, I can easily picture Laura getting the fifth slot.

"

Aren't people saying that on the Bandstand forum?

ForB4
#90ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:54pm

adamgreer said: "Wicked was/is a cultural phenomenon. Anastasia is not. 

"

Ok

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#91ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:56pm

JVJ93 said: "ForB4 said: "adamgreer said: "If Laura Osnes picks up good reviews when Bandstand opens, I would say there's a strong possibility that she, not Altomare, nabs the last slot for Leading Actress in a Musical (with the other four going to Bette, Patti, Ebersole, and Denee Benton). 

Ya'll

"

"

Ya'll, don't sleep on Eva Noblezada. She's magnificent 

Eva Noblezada did not get particularly good reviews, with most comparing her very unfavorably to Lea Salonga. I suspect she gets Elena Rogers-ed this year. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#92ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:57pm

adamgreer said: "Wicked was/is a cultural phenomenon. Anastasia is not. "

Exactly. Some of these posters might be too young to have followed the 2004 Theater and Tony season. Wicked was an unstoppable phenomenon, the entire country was buzzing about the show. The many nominations were expected, but the major losses and Idina win were jaw dropping at the time. The show didn't need awards to thrive. Anastasia doesn't have the buzz or cultural significance to have a long life and impact like Wicked. 

Updated On: 4/24/17 at 10:57 PM

Jarethan
#93ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:58pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "adamgreer said: "If Laura Osnes picks up good reviews when Bandstand opens, I would say there's a strong possibility that she, not Altomare, nabs the last slot for Leading Actress in a Musical (with the other four going to Bette, Patti, Ebersole, and Denee Benton). 

Now, that's a real barometer.  When is the last time you saw a show that DIDN'T get a standing ovation?  They are meaningless, unlike years past when they were rare and well deserved.  

"

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#94ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:59pm

Well we still have to wait for Bandstand reviews as well. Denee Benton shouldn't get in either. It should be Annaeligh, Laura, Bette, Patti, and Christine. 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#95ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:03pm

I just want to clarify my comment about Wicked - The only comparison I was trying to draw was the critical reception and how both shows were never going to be critical darlings. I'm well aware of the cultural phenomenon that is Wicked as someone who is a big fan of the show.

Also, Annaleigh is not up for nomination, Butter.    

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/25/17 at 11:03 PM

RW3
#96ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:05pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "RW3 said: "Yeah, with Laura getting standing ovations every night, I can easily picture Laura getting the fifth slot.

"

Aren't people saying that on the Bandstand forum?

Oh. I haven't read that forum since the show started previews. 

SeattleTraveler
#97ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:06pm

djoko84 said: "So these bad reviews seals the four nominees: DEH, CFA, TGC, and GD.

"

If that ends up being the case, I'm going to feel exceptionally smart and/or prescient. Those are the exact 4 musicals I chose to see on my birthday weekend trip earlier this month. My goal was to finally see a best musical winner before it wins best musical. Booked all of them in October/November. To think, at the time of the trip I was disappointed I had booked GD instead of Anastasia based on some early word at the time.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#98ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:08pm

Butter Broadway said: "Well we still have to wait for Bandstand reviews as well. Denee Benton shouldn't get in either. It should be Annaleigh, Laura, Bette, Patti, and Christine."

I think Benton is getting in based on the strength of The Great Comet.

Willie4316
#99ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:14pm

I think the nominees as of now are Bette,Christy, Patti, Christine, and Phillipa. Maybe Laura to swap out Phillipa

Updated On: 4/25/17 at 11:14 PM

Videos