pixeltracker

WHO ARE THESE TONY VOTERS!!!!!!!!!- Page 4

WHO ARE THESE TONY VOTERS!!!!!!!!!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#75Yay for Jersey Boys, JLY, and Christian Hoff!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:27am

"Am I the only person who thought "The Wedding Singer" was robbed for Best Coreography?"

I agree, but I knew it was gonna happen. Kathleen Marshall has gotten so much hype. Personally I don't think she should have won, seeing as she only choreographed two numbers ("Once a Year Day" and Hernando's Hideaway"). Her associate choreographed most of "Steam Heat". Rob Ashford choreographed at least 6 (that's how many come to mind immediately) separate numbers.

#76Yay for Jersey Boys, JLY, and Christian Hoff!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:28am

I think it's great that people are this passionate about these show. Sure awards show are kind of silly, but it's nice to see something/someone who you admire get honored.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#77Yay for Jersey Boys, JLY, and Christian Hoff!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:32am

I must concur with the two posts above mine (orangeskittles and Margo at the time I write this).

Watching the awards this year with people who are highly educated in theatre and have many years working in the industry, and have seen the entire season, the awards matched what I've heard from them as they called me walking out of these shows.

That Sweeney Todd was amazing; that Pajama Game was the best production of any show he's ever seen; that Jersey Boys was written so well to integrate the pre-existing songs and the newly written storyline; the list goes on and on.

While I realize that the awards are never based purely on artistic merit, I do believe, looking over this year's winners, that they came pretty close with this one.

Just my opinion.

ETA: Um, I'm sorry, but Pajama Game requires choreography of MUCH more than just 2 numbers. You wouldn't think it, but as someone who just choreographed this show a few months ago, it's actually choreography (though not intense dancing) for the opener, for Her Is, Her Is Reprise, movement in There Once Was A Man, movement in I'll Never Be Jealous Again, any movement in I'm Not At All In Love, Hernando's, Steam Heat, Once A Year Day (which is about 21 pages of music, a good 2/3 of which is dance break), any movement in Think of The Time I SAve, 7&1/2 Cents...you see where I'm going with this.

Just cause it's not full out dancing and craziness doesn't mean you don't still have to choreograph it. Though I was told that TWS choreography was fairly incredible, I do have a lot of respect for Ms. Marshall, and I don't consider his loss a snub at Mr. Ashford's talent.

How quickly "it's an honor just to be recognized with a nomination" is tossed out the window, eh?

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?
Updated On: 6/12/06 at 12:32 AM

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#78Yay for Jersey Boys, JLY, and Christian Hoff!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:33am

I agree the Kathleen Marshall's choreography was overrated, and the THE WEDDING SINGER should have won for choreography. It was actually my favorite thing about the show.

broadway_freak2
#79re: WHO ARE THESE TONY VOTERS!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:46am

I thought Sweeney Todd was an absolutely astounding show. I thought it was going to take many of the awards. (Heh, lost some bets tonight!re: WHO ARE THESE TONY VOTERS!!!!!!!!! ) I personally thought Manoel deserved the Tony. Even though I love the Pajama Game, I believe Sweeney deserved the Tony a little more, IMO. I was upset when Drowsy lost to Jersey Boys. (Upset is a bit of an understatement.) When I saw Drowsy take Score and Book, I thought it was almost certain for it to take Best Musical. I am not exactly a fan of Jersey Boys and was almost certain (and happy) that Drowsy was going to win. I am just upset at the politics, I guess. I honestly thought the Tony's were to honor the best of theatre and not the most profittable, as some on the board are saying. Well, I guess I owe congratulations to both Pajama Game and Jersey Boys.

AlexandraDecker
#80JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:01am

So, I'm a west coaster, but I was so throughly disgusted ny how this is going that I got online and checked to see if there was any point to me watching....

JERSEY BOYS? JERSEY-M****r-****ing BOYS? WHAT IS THIS??? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!?!?!

What about Sweeney, What about Threepenny? What about a musical that isn't just a dressed up tribute concert? AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I have so much more to say, but it may take me awhile until I can say it comprehensively.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#81JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:11am

A) Do you realize that Sweeney and Threepenny were not in the same category as Jersey Boys, and thus they weren't competing with each other?

B) Do you realize that both Sweeney and Threepenny couldn't win, considering they are in the same category?

C) Do you realize Threepenny SUCKS?!

AlexandraDecker
#82JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:30am

Sorry, I realized afterwards I switched my categories up in a fury of posts on multiple sites.

I admit, Threepenny was aimed for a certain audience.

But my hatred for Jersey Boys still stands. I disliked Drowsy but would have rather seen it win...because you know, it was a musical, not a glorified tribute concert.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#83JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:34am

Did you see Jersey Boys? I am just puzzled by anyone, and this isn't an attack at you, that says Jersey Boys is simply a tibute concert. It is incredibly written, and would have won Best Book if Drowsy weren't around.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#84JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:36am

I nearly lost my dinner in the third mezz tonight after "Sweeney" lost Best Revival, and then it just got increasingly worse with Michael Cerveris losing, and then Patti?!?!

WHY was "Sweeney" treated so unfairly?! It's BRILLIANCE! I just don't understand what the Tony voters were looking at...

AlexandraDecker
#85JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:38am

I saw it, I liked Jersey Boys infact, it was well written, but it really stood out to me as a glorified tribute concert...Drowsy stood out to me as Throughly Modern Millie's long lost twin...

I'm pretty much unsatisfied with alot of Broadway right now, and the Tony winners...

Dot2
#86JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:40am

Well, I just read this entire thread and really need to burn off some personal steam and respond.

First off, I'll issue a caveat: I am from Wisconsin. I have only been to NYC twice, meaning the total number of bway shows I have seen in my life is 9. I was there last week and saw "Sweeney", "Doubt" and "Spelling Bee". Bway shows are egregiously expensive, and as much as I may have liked to see every single nominated show, that wasn't possible. I don't think, however, that this makes my opinions unwarranted.

I would agree that "Sweeney" was robbed. In my opinion, a revival is to be a reimagining, a recreation. I've seen the taped version of the Prince staging, and while I agree that's it's wonderful and lush, this pared-down version brought out themes that I had never considered. As an usher at the theater told me the night before I saw the show, "This isn't a Broadway show. This is theater." It's about doing something new and inventive. That doesn't mean "PG" wasn't a great revival, but did it stray away from what has been done before in productions of the show? I think that's what determines a great revival.

As for my other big disappointment (I did want all the nominated "Sweeney" stars to win but can't judge them against the victors), yes, I'm sad that a "jukebox musical" took the prize. Not because I think it isn't theater but because of the message it sends to bway producers. "Chaperone" was the only show on bway this season that was not a revival, an import, or derived from a book, film, history etc. Originality is dying on bway. Producers are terrified to take risks because the show might not be a hit, which I feel is leading to pandering and a decrease in quality of theater. And by giving the award to a show for with a pre-written and pre-adored scre adds to that tradition, which I think is a danger. And as individuals who share a love of theater or theatre, I think most of us can agree on that.

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#87JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:45am

Jersey Boys rocks!!!!!!! Sweeny was boring!!

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#88JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:49am

"Jersey Boy rocks!!!!!!Sweeny was boring!!"

Oh good LORD. You must be kidding.

Or, of course, you could be a Tony voter. UGH.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#89JerseyBoys? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:58am

"It's about doing something new and inventive. That doesn't mean "PG" wasn't a great revival, but did it stray away from what has been done before in productions of the show? I think that's what determines a great revival."

While I see where you are coming from, and think that "thinking outside the box" is important, I would argue that a "great revival" is not determined solely by this, but also by the quality of the production. Sweeney's concept was great, but it wasn't executed nearly perfectly. For example, the instruments were a mess (check the reviews if you don't believe/agree with me). I am all for thinking outside the box, but I think quality is more important than originality. Both would be preferable though.

LucyVanPelt
#90Hey - I'm one of those "old people"!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:59am

First of all, I am so tired of people thinking that if you do a revival of a show with basically no set and the actors in black leather and pasty white makeup it's "revolutionary".(hmmm, "Cabaret"? "Chicago"?) Since when did Sweeney Todd become a neo-Nazi skinhead? That's what he looks like to me in his black leather coat, shaved head and boots. And does Mrs. Lovett come from Jersey, because she has no cockney or any other kind of British accent in this "revolutionary" production. Thank goodness the Tony voters had the brains to see through all the bull****.
I don't see it as a knock on Sondheim (who is a genius as far as I'm concerned!). After all, the ORIGINAL production of Sweeney Todd won the Tony! It was just a knock on this production. As for the comment "the voters must be old folks", well I'm 50 so I guess that makes me old. It seems to me that what you "youngsters" seem to like is nothing but pretentious bull****!

#91Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:10am

bjh- What reviews are you talking about in reference to the instruments. I honestly don't remember any reviews that singled out the instruments as being poorly play. I'm honestly confused by that statment. Unless you are talking about the Tony performance.

Lucy-I don't think the reason you mentioned are why people find this production of Sweeney Todd so exciting. I think it's possible to love both the original and the revival.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#92Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:13am

I remember reading many articles very early on (in November or December) about how the concept was GREAT, but the execution was sloppy. However, they have been playing those instruments for 6 months now, so it has probably improved since then. But I know at first the instruments were out of tune and didn't fit together. Sorry I have no specific references, as it was long ago.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#93Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:21am

Michael Cerveris is bald. It's not a pretentious costume design decision, it's a fact of life.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#94Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:23am

OK Drowsy was so robbed of best musical. And I can't believe Patti didn't win. Eh these voters.

LucyVanPelt
#95Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:47am

Hey Orangeskittles! I didn't know black leather coats and skinny black leather ties, mini skirts and stockings with garter belts hanging out for the world to see, and short bobbed hair were "facts of life" in England in the mid-to-late 1800's!!! Michael Cerveris may be bald, but last time I checked, very expensive, human-hair wigs are used extensively on Broadway! Hmmm, I think both Len Cariou and George Hearn wore wigs when they played Sweeney. Guess this time the barber shaved his own head! Good thing he didn't cut himself! Oh well, we wouldn't have seen any blood anyway, as in this production nobody bleeds! LOL

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#96Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:49am

CONGRATS JERSEY BOYS!!!! Updated On: 6/12/06 at 02:49 AM

wickedobsessed Profile Photo
wickedobsessed
#97Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 6:42am

SWEENEY WAS ROBBED! WHO REALLY WHERE THE TONY VOTERS? NOTHING FOR MANOEL, PATTI, MICHAEL, OR BEST REVIVAL? AND MY MOUTH LITERALLY DROPPED WHEN JULIE ANDREWS ANNOUNCED JERSEY BOYS AS THE WINNDER....THATS ALL I CAN SAY!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#98Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 8:33am

"That doesn't mean 'PG' wasn't a great revival, but did it stray away from what has been done before in productions of the show? I think that's what determines a great revival."

Why? Pajama Game was not a recreation of the original. There were new sets, costumes, choreography, orchestrations, etc. While some shows are more open to a more highly conceptual stylized production, others are not, but reconceptualizing a show does not automatically make it a better production. How do you think A Chorus Line would work if it was entirely rethought and restaged as a huge spectacle starring television child stars? Would that automatically make it a better production than say, a more conventional revival of a classic musical comedy?

"'Chaperone' was the only show on bway this season that was not a revival, an import, or derived from a book, film, history etc. Originality is dying on bway."

In My Life was completely original as well. Totally original musicals have always been rare. There is no evidence that originality is dying on Broadway, only that is has never been the norm.

"I'm sad that a 'jukebox musical' took the prize. Not because I think it isn't theater but because of the message it sends to bway producers."

Strong book + great music x intelligent direction = successful show

What's wrong with that message?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

HughE2030 Profile Photo
HughE2030
#99Hey - I'm one of those 'old people'!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 8:38am

I agree Patti was robbed, I think it was paybacks to Oprah. I would've have like to see Felicia from the Color Purple win instead of LaChaze if that was the case. I have posted photos from the afterparty. Not surprising no one from Sweeney showed up.

www.ConfessionsofaPaparazzi.com

Videos