The Drowsy Chaperone: A
The Threepenny Opera: B-
The Pajama Game: A-
Sweeney Todd: B+

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#76re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 5:06pm

Harry's Opening: D (he looked uncomfortable and that medley was not helping much)
Jersey Boys:B+ would have been an A if joe pesci didn't give almost the identical into that jly did, and if they did the walk like a man ending that works so well
The Color Purple: C well done but should have shown off lachanze more
The Wedding Singer: A+ The performance of the night in my opinion
The Drowsy Chaperone: A well done, bob martin's opening bit was spot on
The Threepenny Opera: D- well sung but bizarre
The Pajama Game: B- if megan rolled kelli off and did her solo part of hernando's hideaway i would have given it an a, but she was in no way "featured" in that performance
Sweeney Todd: B- i thought the transitions were a little rushed (take a bite...of your razors?) and my god alot of spit came out of michael's mouth near the end.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#77re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 5:08pm

Drowsy - A

Sweeney - A-

Jersey Boys - B

Threepenny - B+

Wedding Singer - B

Pajama Game - B+

Color Purple - C+

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#78re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 5:08pm

Jersey Boys: A
The Color Purple: B
The Wedding Singer: B
The Drowsy Chaperone: B+
The Threepenny Opera: C
The Pajama Game: A-

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Villiy
#79re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 8:03pm

Jersey Boys: B-
The Color Purple: C
The Wedding Singer: B+
The Threepenny Opera: D-
The Pajama Game: B

SeptemberKel
#80re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 10:03pm

Jersey Boys: B
The Color Purple: B-
The Wedding Singer: C
The Drowsy Chaperone: A-
The Threepenny Opera: C-
The Pajama Game: B+
Sweeney Todd: A

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#81re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 10:18pm

In no order.

Sweeny: A- (fantastic performances, odd selections)

Pajama Game: B- (My basic feeling about the whole show)

Wedding Singer: C+ (Fun enough song. Stephen Lynch is so wasted in this, if this number is any indication)

The Color Purple: C+ (Meh...I haven't seen this one yet either, but none of the music in their little piece was the least bit memorable. I think some lady said "Hell, no", but I don't remember anything else.)

Drowsy Chaperone: A+ (Wonderful! I liked the number even better than when I saw the show. Also clever how he was watching the Tonys on the tube)

Threepenny Opera: B- (I loved the show, this number wasn't the best choice, though. Very nice performances.)

Jersey Boys: C+ (I just really don't like this music. When I saw the show, I kept waiting for a dramatic scene every time a song started. It irritates the hell out of me. The cast is undeniably tallented)

billygoatgirl300
#82re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 10:31pm

Jersey Boys: A( my favorite of the night)

The Color Purple: B (I want to see it now)

The Wedding Singer: B (Very fun number had the sog stuck in my head all da )

The Drowsy Chaperone: B- (I set my expectations to high however I did love Bob Martin)

The Threepenny Opera: D( I almost fell asleep watching it)

The Pajama Game: B+ ( I LOVE Kelli O'Hera but she was only in the first part, but I did enjoy the second half)

Sweeney Todd: A- (It was kinda choppy in places but other than that it was good)

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2

me3 Profile Photo
me3
#83re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 10:49pm

THE WEDDING SINGER A+
THE DROWSY CHAPERONE C+
JERSEY BOYS C
THE COLOR PURPLE F { OMG JUST PAINFUL TO SIT THROUGH!! }
THE THREEPENNY OPERA D-
THE PAJAMA GAME B-
SWEENY TODD F { I JUST HAVE NO INTEREST WATCHING A GUY CUT PEOPLE UP AND MAKE THEM INTO PIE FOR TWO HOURS! }

THE WEDDING SINGER <3

Scarywarhol
#84re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 10:53pm

Thank God for the caps lock button, otherwise we'd never know that your opinion was so much more important than anybody else's!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#85re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 10:58pm

Drowsy- A
Wedding Singer- B
Jersey Boys- B
Pajama Game- B-
Color Purple- C+
Sweeney Todd- C
Threepenny- F

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Scarywarhol
#86re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 11:09pm

Why all the hate for Threepenny from everyone?

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#87re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 11:18pm

Based not on performances but on how I think the performances will convert to ticket sales:

Drowsey A
Wedding Singer C
Jersey Boys A
Pajama Game B
Color Purple C
Sweeney Todd C
Threepenny Opera D

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#88re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 11:23pm

Based not on performances but on how I think the performances will convert to ticket sales:

Drowsey A
Wedding Singer C
Jersey Boys A
Pajama Game B
Color Purple C
Sweeney Todd C
Threepenny Opera D

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#89re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/12/06 at 11:21pm

Drowsey A
Wedding Singer C
Jersey Boys A
Pajama Game B
Color Purple C
Sweeney Todd C
Threepenny Opera D

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
#90re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:53am

1. The Wedding Singer (A)
2. The Drowsy Chaperone (A-)
Sweeney Todd (A-)
3. The Color Purple: Hell No! (B+)
The Pajama Game: Kelli O'Hara (B+)
4. Jersey Boys (B)
5. The Threepenny Opera (B-)
6. The Color Purple: Title Song (C+)
7. The Pajama Game: Harry Connick Jr. (C)

theatregrl0456
#91re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/15/06 at 10:38pm

Jersey Boys: B
The Color Purple: B+
The Drowsy Chaperone: A-
The Threepenny Opera: B-
The Pajama Game: B+
Sweeney Todd: B

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#92re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/15/06 at 11:03pm

The Wedding Singer and Drowsy Chaperone rocked (I expected DC to do well, WS was a surprise).

However, the real revelation of the night was, of course, the commercial for Dreamgirls, which left me in a pool on the floor. The choreography was awesome. Beyonce's spins, with the elevation on the left foot at the end of each was etherially dreamy and matched with the one spotlight, WOW. If the whole show is that good - in other words if Eddie Murphy stuns everyone and totally revives his career as James Thunder Early - this could be huge for Broadway. I see the show opening again about 12 months after the movie opens and featuring as close to a recreation of the original choreography as can be had from the existing footage (have you SEEN the stuff available on Youtube?).

It was as if big sister, all grown up and woman-like came back and crashed the prom....

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#93re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/15/06 at 11:26pm

Jersey Boys: A+
The Color Purple: B-
The Wedding Singer:A
The Threepenny Opera: C
The Pajama Game: B
Sweeney Todd: C

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

EltonJ
#94re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/16/06 at 8:03am

Jersey Boys: First song D Second A
The Color Purple: A-
The Wedding Singer: C
The Drowsy Chaperone: B+
The Threepenny Opera: A
The Pajama Game: C

Sweeney Todd: Stands ALONE as always A+++

SporkGoddess
#95re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/16/06 at 1:05pm

The Wedding Singer - A- Good energy, but "It's Your Wedding Day" has kind of become the "American Dream" of the show. It's ALWAYS done and I was hoping for something different.
The Drowsy Chaperone - C+ - I wasn't very taken with the Drowsy Chaperones number. Sutton did very well, but I thought overall it was a dumb song. Sorry; I'm sure I'm in the minority, on this.
Threepenny Opera - D - It bored the hell out of me. My sister loves this show, and she assures me that was a bad example of it. I'll trust her.
The Pajama Game - C - I was switching back and forth between the History Channel's American Revolution miniseries and the Tony's. I actually turned back to the special because after the first duet between Babe and Sid I got bored.
The Color Purple - It was decent, but I didn't like the song choices. I haven't heard all of the score, but I know there are better songs than that.
Sweeney Todd - A- - I thought it crammed in too much. But I love "My Friends," so it gets props for that.
Jersey Boys - C - I love "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You," but it felt more like a concert performance than a musical one.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#96re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/17/06 at 2:23pm

I love how biased some responses to this thread are.. :P

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

best we know x
#97re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/17/06 at 2:33pm

Jersey Boys: C...I was unimpressed by it, honestly.
The Color Purple: C-...Also very unimpressed. The song choice was not the best...although, I don't know the show, so I can't judge too much.
The Wedding Singer: A...The cast was so full of energy, and they all seemed just really excited to be there.
The Drowsy Chaperone: B...I am not a fan of Sutton Foster, and I was not impressed by this performance either.
The Threepenny Opera: B-...It intrigued me to see the show, in spite of the awful reviews they've been getting.
The Pajama Game: B...I was not a fan of the way that they did "Hernando's Hideaway", but "There Once Was A Man" sounded very good. Harry Connick Jr. sounded off, though, for both songs.
Sweeney Todd: A-...The - is mainly because the splicing was really oddly done. The cast was fantastic, though. I understand that they only had 4 minutes, but they would've been better off just doing "Ballad", and perhaps some of "Worst Pies"...plus, using "My Friends" was a really odd song choice, because out of context that song is just really weird and creepy. Even in context it's a creepy song, haha.

Some of the shows, I was very impressed by...some of them, not so much. The Drowsy Chaperone performance only made me want to go because of Bob Martin...he's been hilarious in every performance I have seen them do.

You're a writer...write me a letter.

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#98re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/17/06 at 2:50pm

Jersey Boys- (Least favorite Best Musical Nom.) A
The Color Purple- (Favorite Best Musical Nom.) C+
Wedding Singer- (Have not seen the show) B+
The Drowsy Chaperone- (Liked but didn't LOVE the show) B+
Threepenny Opera- (Have not seen the show) C
The Pajama Game- (Don't love this show, but LOVE KELLI) B
Sweeney Todd- (Favorite Revival) B+

It turned out my least favorite nominated show of the season gave the best performance in my opinion.

rentlover123
#99re: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
Posted: 6/17/06 at 10:22pm

Jersey Boys: A+
The Color Purple: B+
The Threepenny Operare: Grade the 2006 Tony Award musical performances
The Pajama Game:A
Sweeney Todd: A

Videos