pixeltracker

110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07- Page 4

110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#75re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/19/07 at 12:10am

Indeed! At least I know where to wave at "Gypsy." re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#76re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/19/07 at 12:11am

Indeed indeed.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 4/19/07 at 12:11 AM

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#77re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/19/07 at 2:48am

Calvin, how's the view from the mezzanine. I'm seeing it in Row FF in the center, so I'd be a few rows back from where you sat.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#78re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/19/07 at 4:20am

I was in the front row center last night and the show was simply brilliant!

They gave us towels during intermission, because you will get wet if you sit in row A. (Not too bad, but worth it--true environmental theater! LOL!)

Audra--beyond brilliant. Christine should still win this year;
yet, Audra is giving the best performance of her career. It's only fair to leave some room on Audra's shelf for a later date...

Steve was in perfect voice tonight as Starbuck—as were the rest of the cast. I was shocked at how well balanced the orchestra sounded from my seat; as well as the rest of the sound design.

This show is in such good shape this early in previews; the only fixes should be minor and would only require tightening up the transitions and maybe the blocking of the final scenes. Just "simple little things"...

I'm really looking forward to seeing it again.

Don't miss this show; one of the best scores ever written with a dream cast and production. The true production that this gem deserves.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

fengshuihellnyc
#79re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/19/07 at 1:37pm

Did anyone notice if the show had Merchandise.... I want a poster (did they have posters?)with Audra... I love the Photo of her in the rain Its a 110 degrees HOT!
So what did they have.. did you catch a price?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#80re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/19/07 at 1:39pm

They did have posters...probably $20 each.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#81re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/19/07 at 2:04pm

TheActr, I really like the front mezz in Studio 54. There's a gap after row DD, but you should be near the front of that section, so it should be fine. The only pain is when there's action in the orchestra aisles, and you can't see squat. Fortunately, the only time it's really an issue is Starbuck's first entrance.

Hey, since Studio 54 seats the orchestra in the side boxes, does that technically make the mezzanine the orchestra level? re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07

Papa_Burgundy_NY Profile Photo
Papa_Burgundy_NY
#82re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/21/07 at 11:55pm

Just wanted to say that I got back from the show today and I am in LOVE with this show and it's stellar cast. Audra WAS Lizzie, she brought that part to life! I had tears in my eyes so many times during Act I because of her (well, probably b/c I love her so much too). Also, I thought Christopher Innvar was divine. He was like a suave Tennessee Ernie Ford...he played File so well. Loved the Currys as well. The orchestrations were beautiful, just so romantic...this musical reminded me so much of the old movie "The Long Hot Summer" with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. You can feel the chemistry pouring off the stage. Just a wonderful production!

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#83re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 8:11am

papa, i agree with your review to a tee.

i saw the matinee performance yesterday, audra's voice was divine...and she was lizzie curry...from the mezz, you could believe she was 'plain' (but we all know better of course). christopher innvar gave such a nuanced performance, and was perfectly pained and lovable at the same time as "file". steve kazee was slightly sleazy, uber nice and showy as starbuck; his voice was strong and masculine, and the chemistry between the three leads was palpable.

i loved the show; the plot twist at the end was a surprise (to me). i loved the production sets; the turntable that turns many ways was interesting because it really fit into the show seamlessly. the setting & rising sun was striking. i loved the curtain call because everyone looked like they were having fun; bobby seggart (the younger curry brother) even slipped on the wet stage and fell on his butt during his single bow! it literally looked like it was planned, but he looked sooo embarrassed. just continued to add on the charm of the show.

i can't wait to get back to the show after opening night. the drought has ended, audra has come back on broadway & the show is quite refreshing!

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#84re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 8:34am

Mint, unless the slip has been added since last week, Steggart's falling during the curtain call was an accident.

Trivia: during the original run of the show, Inga Swenson (the original Lizzie) slipped during a curtain call because of the wet stage, broke her ankle and was out of the show for three months.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#85re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 8:35am

D2, I know it was an accident...but it fit so perfectly with his personality in his character, it almost looked planned!

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#86re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 12:00pm

Besides window cards, did they have anything else for sale?

Thanks!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#87re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 12:01pm

I noticed a coffee mug, T-shirts, magnets and Audra's solo CDs.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#88re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 1:37pm

Ummm, wow! I just got back from the show last night and all I can say is wow. Audra is beyond unbelievable and the production itself is breathtaking. This season is really turning out to have some fantastic musicals (original and revivals).I really need to make an effort to go back and see it agian since I was bawling uncontrollably durig the 2nd Act. Such a fantastic performance, Audra IS Lizzy Curry!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#89re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 2:51pm

Sorry if I am being a jerk, but could anyone tell me what the coffee mug and t-shirt look like? Are they black with the 110 logo in orange? Orange with the 110 logo in black? Do they actually have Audra's face on them? I'm guessing the magnet is Audra's face and the 110 logo.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#90re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 3:04pm

I'm really excited about seeing it now. I go 5/4...row DD in the front mezz. I knew virtually nothing about it other than I've heard Aurda's voice before and wanted to see her. So I'm glad to hear it's so good!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#91re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 3:11pm

Oh and how about Paul Gemignani conducting?! That was so amazing to see!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#92re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 3:30pm

re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07

This is the only production photo I have seen. I got it in an email from HipTix.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#93re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/22/07 at 3:34pm

I have one (from "Raunchy") that I posted on my blog. See the link below.
http://tsnob.blogspot.com/2007/04/110-in-shade.html

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#94re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/24/07 at 8:07pm

Another HipTix email.

I wish Roundabout would post high quality production photos on their website for people to look at.

Look, a frequent customer making a request... :)

re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07 Updated On: 4/24/07 at 08:07 PM

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#95re: 110 IN THE SHADE - FIRST PREVIEW - 4/13/07
Posted: 4/24/07 at 8:20pm

Based on these fantastic reviews, I hope the show extends at least another two weeks. I will probably be in New York from July 24-27, and I might like to see this.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Videos