pixeltracker

Books you feel could be made into a musical...- Page 4

Books you feel could be made into a musical...

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#75Tuck Everlasting and Dorian
Posted: 2/12/08 at 2:45am

"Ive also been thinking A LITTLE PRINCESS by Frances Hodgson Burnett would make a great musical.
anyone else think so?"

Andrew Lippa wrote it.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#76*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:10am

Ive also been thinking A LITTLE PRINCESS by Frances Hodgson Burnett would make a great musical.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/regional/sanfran/s520.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20040831/ai_n14584663

http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/20040818/stepout.html

Updated On: 2/12/08 at 07:10 AM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#77*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 8:10am

How about A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN?

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

husk_charmer
#78*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 8:55am

"A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" has been done to. In fact Encores! did a concert version in 2000/2001.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

HeddaG
#79*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 9:30am

"The one I've always had in the back of my mind, but will never lift a finger to pursue, is Ray Bradbury's"Something Wicked This Way Comes."

I LOVE this idea. It would be perfect - as long as they didn't Disney-ized it.

PUPPETMAN
#80*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 11:02am

Tree Grows in Brooklyn was already done as a musical starring Shirley Booth

#81*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 11:16am

crzyray, I also wrote a play based on the Shadow Children! Mine covered the first two books. I don't really know how it would work as a musical though... can you really imagine the Population Police singing? But then again... I like your idea of having Nina as an old woman.
Lately I've been thinking it would probably be best as a tv mini-series, just so each book could get the time it deserves. Good luck finishing it :)

gymdudeva
#82*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 4:15pm

It would be controversial, but maybe Lolita.

Some of John Irving's stuff might work...like Widow for One Year.

The problem is that most really good books go way beyond just plot and dialog to explore, through masterful use of narrative and language, nuances of thought and experience. That's why you don't often see Joyce, Faulkner, or Proust, for example, on stage or screen.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#83*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 5:29pm

It would be controversial, but maybe Lolita.

It's been done. A flop that closed on the road called Lolita, My Love.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#84*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 7:43pm

There actually was an aborted attempt at a musical of the Great Gatsby, instigated by producer David Merrick, with music by Lee Pockriss (composer of "Tovaritch") and lyrics by Carolyn Leigh ("Wildcat", "Little Me"). One of the songs they wrote for it (a big number for Daisy Buchanan), called "Sooner Or Later" is sung by Sarah Zahn on her "songs of Carolyn Leigh" album, "Witchcraft".

I would love to see (and hear) a completed "Gatsby" musical - it's one of my all time favorite novels.

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#85*
Posted: 2/12/08 at 11:12pm

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Idyll of Sarah Brown
The Diary of Adam and Eve
7 1/2 Cents
Tales of the South Pacific
The Ugly Duckling
Pride and Prejudice
and, for good measure...

Frankenstein.

laura is broadway Profile Photo
laura is broadway
#86*
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:06pm

Poisonwood Bible.

I kind of like the songs from that Dorian website...... anyone know any recent news about that?

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#87Wah Wah
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:18pm

While The Catcher in the Rye would be amazing, no JD Salinger book or short story will ever be adapted again. There was an adaptation of one of his short stories done when he was alive, and he detested it so much that he barred anyone from ever adapting any of his works again. And his estate has kept this as a clause. Wah wah.

I heard they were in talks to develop How I Paid For College into a musical, which would be amazing!

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#88Wah Wah
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:21pm

"The 5 People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom

TheaterAddict7652
#89Wah Wah
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:30pm

Agree to Ella Enchanted as long as whoever writes it stays true to the book and doesn't go for cheap laughs like the awful movie verison.

I'm surprised that with the success of Wicked no one has tried adapting another Gregory Maguire novel. I think Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister could work with the right composer/writer/director.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

Allshowsrock
#90Wah Wah
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:16pm

this is gonna seem strange...but what about the book "Night" by that one man who survived the holacuast (I think I didnt spell that right) its pretty violent, and prolly would be disturbing

What about "The Pearl"?

laura is broadway Profile Photo
laura is broadway
#91.
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:29pm

Strong disagreement about The Pearl. No no no no

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#92.
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:32pm

i dont agree about Night by Eli Weissel(sp), it is too disturbing to be a musical. Maybe, an this is maybe, it could be a play.

#93.
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:35pm

I completely disagree about Night. (It was written by Elie Wiesel by the way.) I think that a musical set in Auschwitz... well, I couldn't sit through that.

Allshowsrock
#94.
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:37pm

I didnt say it would be a good idea, I said right away it would be disturbing. Though, they BETTER make a movie out of it, its a great book. And The Pearl I picture more of a off broadway, one act show.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#95Books made into musicals?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:25pm

"And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie

(Also known as "Ten Little Indians")

I think that, with the recurring poem in the book, it could be INCREDIBLY interesting if done well.

That said... who knows how many ways it could be done wrong...

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#96Books made into musicals?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:57pm

i strongly disagree about "Night" as well. that would be really disturbing. if you do want to make a musical about the Holocaust, i would recommend turning "Life Is Beautiful" (the film) as this sort of takes things into a lighter hearted fair.

i think a "Catcher In the Rye" musical seems laughable as well and NOT a good musical.

the book i have ALWAYS dreamed of addapting to stage is "Dancer From the Dance" by Andrew Holleran. it's about a young gay boy who comes to NYC in the era of the Disco and gets used up by the gay community and the men in clubs. there's a drag queen who sort of teaches everything to him and people recounting the "book" after they've already stepped up and out of the picture. it just seems "classic" if you ask me.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#97Books made into musicals?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 3:00pm

An off the beaten path suggestion but I read this biography recently called "Candy Girl", and it's the biography of a stripper, and I thought it would make a fantastic Off-Broadway musical, it could be done REALLY well.

Shrug.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#98Books made into musicals?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 3:54pm

"the book i have ALWAYS dreamed of addapting to stage is "Dancer From the Dance" by Andrew Holleran. it's about a young gay boy who comes to NYC in the era of the Disco and gets used up"

A beautifully written book full of rich characters and situations, could be an incredible night of musical theater. Now go and write it!

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#99Books made into musicals?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 3:57pm

The Giver by Lois Lowry. Now THAT would be spectacular.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Videos