pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 40

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#975SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 12:36pm

castlestreet said: "You have to keep in mind though that to that era of screen star, Chaplin was a God.  I always thought the scene in the movie demonstrated how desperate she was to keep Joe engaged and his mind from wandering."

I do understand Chaplin's stature in the silent film pantheon, and Norma was certainly desperate to keep Joe's attention, but I guess I don't see her Chaplin shtick do anything to further her romantic aims - it was not a flattering look for her! cheeky

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#976SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 1:01pm

Lot666 said: "castlestreet said: "You have to keep in mind though that to that era of screen star, Chaplin was a God.  I always thought the scene in the movie demonstrated how desperate she was to keep Joe engaged and his mind from wandering."

I do understand Chaplin's stature in the silent film pantheon, and Norma was certainly desperate to keep Joe's attention, but I guess I don't see her Chaplin shtick do anything to further her romantic aims - it was not a flattering look for her! cheeky

"

True-which just goes to further show how out of touch she really was.

sassylash3s
#977SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 10:57pm

castlestreet said: "There are a lot of "A List" actors I can imagine would be great in the role- I just wonder about that whole "replacement" stigmata that still bugs certain actors of that caliber. "

To be fair, I think even C-list actors would be hesitant to replace Glenn Close if it meant experiencing bodily manifestations of the wounds of Christ. 

As much as I'd love to see Betty Buckley in the role, I don't think she'd be enough of a draw to keep the show running.  I think Meryl would be great, but I doubt she'd do it--she's stated in the past that she's not interested in revivals.

castlestreet
#978SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:47am

I'm one of the biggest Buckley fans I know-but she is not a draw in a major production.  Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, she hasn't done a full scale Broadway Production of anything since Triumph Of Love-and that was an outright flop.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#979SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/14/17 at 11:26am

sassylash3s said: "As much as I'd love to see Betty Buckley in the role, I don't think she'd be enough of a draw to keep the show running.  I think Meryl would be great, but I doubt she'd do it--she's stated in the past that she's not interested in revivals."

Imagine, for a moment, what would happen if Madonna took over from Ms. Close.

evic
#980SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/14/17 at 12:44pm

LOL...how much more can they lower the keys to Norma's songs?  Madonna CANNOT ACT!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#981SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/14/17 at 1:12pm

castlestreet said: "I'm one of the biggest Buckley fans I know-but she is not a draw in a major production.  Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, she hasn't done a full scale Broadway Production of anything since Triumph Of Love-and that was an outright flop.

"

I think you're right... Buckley isn't a major draw.  But last time she took over for Glenn in Sunset, she did very well (or else the production was simply selling well... since it did have a 37.5 million advance ticket sale on opening night) - https://www.broadwayworld.com/grossesshow.cfm?show=SUNSET-BOULEVARD&year=1995 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#982SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/14/17 at 2:01pm

evic said: "LOL...how much more can they lower the keys to Norma's songs?  Madonna CANNOT ACT!"

That may be true, but I do believe you'd nonetheless see enormous ticket sales for such spectacular stunt casting.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#983SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/15/17 at 5:49pm

So I finally made it back to 100086 Sunset Blvd this afternoon for my second visit (first being in February during previews).   

As I'm leaving today it struck me that I've seen this show between original, tour and this revival about a dozen times... have every recording... listened to it countless times... so yes, it's my favorite musical of all time (decided today it finally edged Aspects of Love) but what struck me is how I'm still able to be moved and enthralled by it.  From the first moments of that overture - which this revival will forever spoil me in having a 41 piece orchestra -- there's no comparison -- to Norma's final note as the curtain comes down, I'm just drawn in to the dramatic rollercoaster that is by twists and turns - sad, funny, romantic, tragic and heartbreaking.

I saw Sunday in the Park with George (which I also loved, btw) and one of the critic tag lines was something like "years from now people will be bragging about having been able to see this."  I'd argue the same is very, very true about this revival of Sunset Blvd.  The mix of a new directors vision, with the original Tony award winning star taking a fresh and different take with an amazing cast and glorious orchestra - well, all I can say, if haven't seen it yet, don't wait and don't miss this.

carnzee
#984SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/15/17 at 9:37pm

I'm seeing both of those shows Wednesday, Chernjam!  I'm beyond excited. You are referring to Brantley's quote about "misty-eyed bragging rights."

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#985SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/16/17 at 10:42am

chernjam said: "So I finally made it back to 100086 Sunset Blvd this afternoon for my second visit"

So glad you finally got to see it again! I bought a cheap seat for April 28, so will be seeing it two more times when we head up to NY at the end of the month, for a total of four.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#986SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:15pm

Hey folks... so after Saturday's matinee, I'm more convinced that we need to have this revival preserved either in Audio or video form (preferably both) The American Premiere Recording is great in its own right - (and was a proper recording after a cut and paste job for the World Premiere recording where half of it was from ALW's sydmonton workshop -- can't believe they had done such a shoddy job at the time... anyway) that was still done 23 years ago.  

Now that ALW has done new orchestrations, and you have a new cast and a spectacular orchestra -why not record this?  Even if it's a live recording (that might even be preferable as the audience brings a whole other dimension)

Anyone who's in agreement - join me in pestering @OfficialALW on twitter (add @Sunsetblvd and if you tag @MichaelxavierUK and @siobhandillonuk they seem to want it as well and will probably like/retweet your message)  Maybe we can grassroots kick start them doing this?

I know it's a long shot, but considering how many friggin recordings they have of some shows (how many Joseph's out there and you know for the 50th anniversary one there will be a new one of that... or look up how many Jesus Christ Superstar recordings there are...) this one definitely needs to be made

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#987SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 9:24pm

You know chernjam has an excellent point. With all the Superstar and Joseph's, Cats, Les Mis's, Fiddlers, etc, they could definitely do another Sunset recording. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#988SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:43pm

I would like a new cast recording if only to get Norma's vocal be easier to hear. Some of the songs in the OBC I can barely hear her because she's barely whispering. Surrender and With One Look in particular could use the treatment they were given during the Royal Albert Hall production.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

hanabana
#989SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:48pm

A new cast recording would be a dream come true.  I saw the show yesterday and was just mesmerized!  The performances were stellar, and the 41-piece orchestra was superb.  It would be a shame not to preserve the performances and orchestration for this production.  I cannot say enough good things about this show, it was simply an incomparable theater experience.  I really hope that they decide to at least do a new cast recording (or better yet, capture it on video - I know it most likely won't happen though...)

lczvera
#990SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:52pm

I need a new cast recording with this orchestration!!! But the hope seems slim, and the official social media account never replies to any fans asking questions about a cast recarding.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#991SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/18/17 at 1:12am

lczvera said: "I need a new cast recording with this orchestration!!! But the hope seems slim, and the official social media account never replies to any fans asking questions about a cast recarding.

"

Just make sure you tag Michael and Siobhan - they seem to be liking and retweeting stuff a lot - especially when people ask about a recording.  They seem like they're definitely on board.  I wrote ALW via the Really Useful group tonight too.  Figure if fans could get them to record Elena Rogers in Evita TWICE (in what a 5 year period I think?) then maybe we could do the same for a much better reason

MizMamie Profile Photo
MizMamie
#992SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/18/17 at 8:38am

hanabana said: "A new cast recording would be a dream come true.  I saw the show yesterday and was just mesmerized!  The performances were stellar, and the 41-piece orchestra was superb.  It would be a shame not to preserve the performances and orchestration for this production.  I cannot say enough good things about this show, it was simply an incomparable theater experience.  I really hope that they decide to at least do a new cast recording (or better yet, capture it on video - I know it most likely won't happen though..."

I totally agree! The entire cast is amazing, and Glenn Close is phenomenal. I'd love to see this production of Sunset Boulevard appear on PBS' Great Performances.

castlestreet
#993SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/18/17 at 9:46am

Sunset & Sunday in the Park With George, in my opinion both deserve to be preserved this year.  I was really hoping for a BroadwayHD stream, or PBS Great Performances, but both of those options are beginning to seem hopeless.  

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#994SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/18/17 at 10:09am

Sunday would be great for a BroadwayHD stream, but the closing night's 5 days away. I doubt we'll get it. Sunset is still possible.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#995SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/18/17 at 4:54pm

chernjam said: "Anyone who's in agreement - join me in pestering @OfficialALW on twitter (add @Sunsetblvd and if you tag @MichaelxavierUK and @siobhandillonuk they seem to want it as well and will probably like/retweet your message)  Maybe we can grassroots kick start them doing this?"

Done.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#996SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/20/17 at 1:41am

I saw the matinee and was raptured. First off, this is my one guilty pleasure score. I just love it. So to hear it with a full orchestra, I was thrilled. Glenn Close was in fabulous voice. There were no weird notes, no anything. She nailed it vocally. And of course her acting was incredible. Lonny Price did an incredible job. I think this is a "concert production," but I felt the actual visual design was gorgeous. I loved the subtle touches - the house lights being used for Norma's mansion, the projectors playing all around the theater.

The only place I felt they missed the mark was with Joe. I don't think Michael Xavier's performance was bad. His vocals were actually better than I was lead to be believed. But I just felt like his whole character was thrown away. "Sunset Blvd" - opening Act 2 - was kind of wasted and felt more like a chance to showcase the actor rather than the intent. Joe is actually a complex, interesting character, but I never felt like his story was front and center. Even though it is. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#997SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:10am

RippedMan said: "...this is my one guilty pleasure score. I just love it"

If you love it, why do you feel guilty for enjoying it?

SteveL2
#998SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:26am

My wife and I saw the last show in London, and for my first visit to NY we went last night, she wasn't looking forward to it particularly, I couldnt wait, tickets purchased months ago. I thought once again it was theatre magic, almost an event rather than just a show, and the whole thing was brilliant. Michael Xavier who was rarely off stage for us at least did a great job, Glenn Close was incredible, and though the orchestra size has dropped 20% from London, it's a smaller stage and they created a beautiful sound. Wonderful night, and as some others have said on here, wouldn't it be wonderful if this show's legacy could be preserved somehow?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#999SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/20/17 at 11:06pm

The orchestra and those soaring melodies with the strings sounded beautiful (I can't imagine what they must have sounded like in London). Glenn Close also had incredible moments of acting - watching her flip from delusional happiness, to emotionally upset, to complete crazy (see: final scene) was something fine. The scene after she cuts her wrists and then basically rapes Joe was chilling. This has been a great season for musical acting indeed.

Having only listened to the 'good' songs on repeat for a few years now though, the score is even worse than I remember it to be. When I heard the line "Shut up I'm rich not some platinum blonde bitch" I couldn't stop cackling with laughter. It almost sounds like they stole it from somewhere in the original "Carrie".

Would be interested in a television recording but think a cast recording seems a bit unnecessary to me...Glenn can't sing it any better now.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/20/17 at 11:06 PM

Videos