pixeltracker

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread- Page 41

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1000The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/18/21 at 10:23pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Ha! Listen, I agree about the representation and colorism. I’m Southeast Asian and saw all of the complaints about the predominantly East Asianvoice cast of Raya. I am one to agree with all the people saying they should have done better while also celebrating and amplifying the representation that did happen. And with that said, the people creating absolutely need to do better and learn from this. But I still lovedthe moviesfor what they are."

This was basically how I felt too. I have a lot more in common with Jon Chu than anyone else involved in the film (or any of the characters). (Chu and I are about the same age, and both Chinese Americans from the Bay Area.) And I really enjoyed the movie — it's possible to do that, celebrate what was accomplished, AND acknowledge missteps along the way! 

Also, it's well past time for people to retire using "woke" in a derisive manner.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#1001The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/19/21 at 11:41am

Neither Cruella or A Quiet Place 2 were available for free to anyone with an HBO Max sub or a friend/family member with a login. And new data published in Variety indicates that AT&T, who made the shockingly poor decision to release WB's whole slate straight to streaming, were lying that the ITH box office numbers reflect the streaming reception. A lot of people are watching and nobody wants to own what a short-sighted decision this was.

Updated On: 6/19/21 at 11:41 AM

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#1002The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/19/21 at 12:00pm

Bill Maher commented onthe whole controversy last night on his show. If you have a chance look up the clip. I totally totally agree with him. I saw the film for the third time last night in a movie theater. Restrictions are gone. Theater was packed. I am hoping the film gets a box office bump. It very well deserves it.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#1003The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/19/21 at 12:06pm

https://amp.tmz.com/2021/06/19/bill-maher-lin-manuel-miranda-bullies-in-the-heights/

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#1004The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/19/21 at 12:09pm

I was looking to see how the films box office was during the week but doesn't appear they reported any daily grosses. Not sure if a good sign that they didn't report any.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

jo
#1005The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/19/21 at 12:38pm

Check out Deadline, which has a report on the weekend & year-to-date

‘The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard’ Seizes $4M In First Day & Previews – Deadline

New movie at the top is Ryan Reynolds adult comedy (Hitmans' Wife...)

" 6. In the Heights (WB) 3,509 (+53) theaters $1.375M (-73%)/3-day est. $4.5M (-61%)/Total: $19.9M/Wk 2 "

Updated On: 6/19/21 at 12:38 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#1006The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/19/21 at 12:45pm

Thanks jo

Figures were posted after I posted. :) 

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

sherie_worshipper Profile Photo
sherie_worshipper
#1007The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/19/21 at 12:46pm

Scarywarhol said: "Neither Cruella or A Quiet Place 2 were available for free to anyone with an HBO Max sub or a friend/family member with a login. And new data published in Variety indicates that AT&T, who made the shockingly poor decision to release WB's whole slate straight to streaming, were lying that the ITH box office numbers reflect the streaming reception. A lot of people are watching and nobody wants to own what a short-sighted decision this was."

Why is it so difficult for some people to accept that audiences largely ignored this movie? I read the article and found no evidence that WB lied about the poor numbers on HBO Max. It’s just one small measurement firm claiming it did better.

From Variety:

One caveat: the panel size of TVision is smaller than some other third-party measurement firms. For instance, Samba TV recently reported that the three-day HBO Max viewership of “In the Heights” was much lower than previous Warner Bros. day-and-date films like “Mortal Kombat” and “Tom and Jerry.”

Updated On: 6/19/21 at 12:46 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1008The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/19/21 at 1:37pm

I’m sad about this movie underperforming. The movie musical that’s not a franchise or a remake that’s made by BIPOC writers and director about an underrepresented community… This is why we need to show up for movies like this: studios will say there’s no interest and think twice before greenlighting movies starring people like this or made by filmmakers like this. BIPOC artists usually have one shot to make their mark while white people get so many passes for making flops.

Anyway, watch the movie based on the musical no one has heard of starring a white man, the other movie based on the musical no one knows with Hallmark songs and starring a white man, and a remake of a movie musical about Latinx people made by and written by white men all do well in the theatres.

bear88
#1009The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 4:40am

I don’t think anyone is kidding themselves about In the Heights being a bust. We all know how to read box office numbers. What’s clear is that the movie simply never generated any interest. It’s not even much of a judgment about the quality of the film itself. You can’t make people go to the theater to see something they don’t want to see.

The rapid dropoff doesn’t suggest any positive word of mouth, despite the favorable critical and audience reviews. I do think the film was hurt by the greater concern about COVID-19 in urban areas where it needed to do well, but I’m just speculating. The movie was always going to be hard to sell.

It didn’t help, of course, that all the publicity surrounding the movie was negative - box office disappointment, colorism controversy, apology by its highest profile co-creator. But It’s hard to have a backlash to a film that didn’t interest anyone in the first place.

As for other musicals, I hope a few of them succeed this year. Otherwise, the lesson for Hollywood will be obvious: Don’t make musicals, unless it’s a Disney live action remake.

Updated On: 6/20/21 at 04:40 AM

Nocredits
#1010The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 9:27am

...I just want to politely point out...that the lack of representation on the screen was NO WHERE NEAR the lack of any kind of representations behind the scenes of this movie....and that is where the REAL problem lies...sure they want us to believe that this is a progressive movie that celebrates diversity based on the way they are promoting Lin and John Chu...but that's where it all ends. If you think the cast was white washed...I would challenge folks to look at ALL of the creative department heads of this movie. Not. One. Of. Them. Was Dominican. What's up with that... 

JasonC3
#1011The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 9:43am

If you had the chance to create your ideal behind the scenes staffing for this movie,

What are your selection criteria?
What is the representation mix?

Nocredits
#1012The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 10:21am

JasonC3 said: "If you had the chance to create your ideal behind the scenes staffing for this movie,

What are your selection criteria?
What is the representation mix?
"

It's not a criteria its common sense if you say you want to be a progressive film that represents diversity. There's no "representation mix" formula..it's what August Wilson said about black people that applies to this too; "let (our) people tell (our) story."

As a person of color myself who is both African American and Afro Latino I was annoyed  by the representation on the screen but then very hurt by the lack of representation behind the scenes.  I would have started with director of Latino descent even pushed for a Dominican. Jon Chu is talented no doubt...but Warner Brothers gave him a shot to tell an adapted story about his people and culture with Crazy Rich Asians which is great...I wish Warner Brothers would have given that same opportunity to a Latino director to tell their story about their people on the screen. But fine...if they felt Jon was the director to go with, it is what it is...But then I would have least tried to put SOMEONE of Dominican descent on the creative team with Jon. This movie about a Latin neighborhood...Cinematographer white, choreographer white, production designer, costume designers, casting directors etc, were all white white white.  Hell, even the Key Grip and Gaffer were white men. So sure it's cool that Lin, Jon and Quiara are getting their shine...but when the rest of the producers(the one's making all the real decisions) and the creative department head/crew members are deliberately and intentionally white...then to me this has been a failure. 

#1013The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 10:47am

Nocredits said: "As a person of color myself who is both African American and Afro Latino I was annoyed by the representation on the screen but then very hurt by the lack of representation behind the scenes."

Well, I have great news for you. No studio executive is going to touch a big-budget Latino-centric story with a 10-foot-pole for years and years after this colossal failure. So as long as you can make it through this difficult period of annoyance, you should be safe for a while.

"Alas, In the Heights is an old-fashioned box office bomb, at least in North America. The critically-acclaimed musical melodrama earned $1.375 million on Friday, plunging 73% from its lousy $5 million opening day. It should earn around $4.35 million (-62%) in weekend two for a $19.8 million ten-day cume. As was often the case pre-Covid, the biggest drops were often from low openers, since what little demand existed had already been extinguished. There will be no Greatest Showman (or even Mama Mia)-style legs for this one. It’ll be lucky to top $35 million, which is where some more optimistic folks hoped it would open last weekend. Warner knew that the Film Twitter hype wasn’t translating into the real world, even if the film’s controversies relating to light-skinned casting seemingly has. What a mess."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/06/19/friday-box-office-in-the-heights-godzilla-vs-kong-quiet-place-conjuring-cruella-peter-rabbit/

KFC1991
#1014The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 11:42am

ctorres23 said: "Nocredits said: "As a person of color myself who is both African American and Afro Latino I was annoyed by the representation on the screen but then very hurt by the lack of representation behind the scenes."

Well, I have great news for you. No studio executive is going to touch a big-budget Latino-centric story with a 10-foot-pole for years and years after this colossal failure. So as long as you can make it through this difficult period of annoyance, you should be safe for a while.

Not true at all. A " big budget latino centric story" could come out of left field at any time in the next few years and be a hit. Prognosticating as you are based on the failure of ITH is silly. 

#1015The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 11:56am

KFC1991 said: "Not true at all. A " big budget latino centric story" could come out of left field at any time in the next few years and be a hit. Prognosticating as you are based on the failure of ITH is silly."

Come out of left-field? If it has a big budget, it would need to be greenlit by a studio. After this disaster, what studio exec would stick their neck out for a genre that, last time out, made no money and also became a lightning rod for controversy? That would be an idiotic risk to take.

I'm not saying some indie, small-budget Latino film couldn't somehow catch fire, but you're not going to see a summer tentpole anytime soon.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1016The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 12:01pm

You have to wonder why this didn’t generate a lot of interest. You have a world-famous creator, a director of a movie that was a worldwide success, colorful and energetic ads… colorism and representation aside, how did this not excite people? (Besides one obvious answer, but is that the answer?)

BwayLB
#1017The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 12:06pm

This is not fair in spite of the Pandemic not being over. I still have yet to see it and i still want to. I waited since 2010 for this moment!

Nocredits
#1018The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 1:13pm

ctorres23 said: "KFC1991 said: "Not true at all. A " big budget latino centric story" could come out of left field at any time in the next few years and be a hit. Prognosticating as you are based on the failure of ITH is silly."

Come out of left-field? If it has a big budget, it would need to be greenlit by a studio. After this disaster, what studio exec would stick their neck out for a genre that, last time out, made no money and also became a lightning rod for controversy? That would be an idiotic risk to take.

I'm not saying some indie, small-budget Latino film couldn't somehow catch fire, but you're not going to see a summer tentpole anytime soon.
"

This is wild what you are saying a very small minded of you which is the real problem in this industry. ONE movie does bad and it's the end of the world. Blaming a movie's failure based on the race of a cast and whom it's about is ridiculous. I can name countless movies that bombed at the box office staring white people about white people...hasn't stopped Hollywood from making big movies with white people about white people. Also this weekend coming up alone will have a move with one of the most diverse cast in history make a crap ton of money. So lets not play the game that movies that stars latinos don't make money because they are about latinos. 

Your other points about the negative press around it is fair.   

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1019The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 1:35pm

This is where my naïveté about the film industry shows, but... were there a lot more screeners out there of ITH than other movie musicals in the past? Could that have put at least a bit of a dent in the box office? It felt like people I knew who normally didn't get to see a screener did. (I purposely didn't enter any contests/sweepstakes/etc to try to win a pass because I wanted to pay.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#1020The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 1:55pm

Nocredits said: "So lets not play the game that movies that stars latinos don't make money because they are about latinos."

To be clear, I didn't say movies that star Latinos won't make money. I said Hollywood will think twice before making big-budget Latino-centric movies, by which I mean movies that center around the Latino experience.

I'm sure Hollywood will be more than happy to make generic movies with generic characters where they can slot in actors of any ethnicity, Latino included, but In the Heights was reasonably unique in that the story itself was focused on non-white culture, not just that the actors were diverse.

Nocredits said: "Also this weekend coming up alone will have a move with one of the most diverse cast in history make a crap ton of money."

It might be diverse, but does it have Afro-Latinos?

Updated On: 6/20/21 at 01:55 PM

Wayman_Wong
#1021The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 3:45pm

CNN.com: Why Rita Moreno's 'In the Heights' Comment Was Terribly Wrong

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/17/opinions/rita-moreno-in-the-heights-colorism-alford/index.html

Updated On: 6/20/21 at 03:45 PM

Trish2
#1022The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 6:33pm

Nocredits said: "...I just want to politely point out...that the lack of representation on the screen was NO WHERE NEAR the lack of any kind of representations behind the scenes of this movie....and that is where the REAL problem lies...sure they want us to believe that this is a progressive movie that celebrates diversitybased onthe way they are promoting Lin and John Chu...but that's where it all ends. If you think the cast was white washed...I would challenge folks to look at ALL of the creative department heads of this movie. Not. One. Of. Them. Was Dominican. What's up with that..."

If you dig a bit deeper you’d find that yes, the lead choreographer Christopher Scott is white and a hip hop dancer. He’s choreographed for Chu before (“The LXD: The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers,” and the some of the STEP UP films).

BUT he hired associate choreographers who are a mix of ethnicities. Co-choreographer Eddie Torres, Jr. was responsible for the Latin dances, with his assistant Princess Serrano. Ebony Williams did the Afro, Contemporary, and ballet sequences. Then there’s Puerto Rican popper Emilio Dosal who brought additional hip hop elements to the film. Lastly, to work with the principal cast on their movement was Dana Wilson. 

It took this gifted, diverse team of dance-makers to give this musical film its dance pulse. I applaud them for the massive task of flawlessly interweaving all of their distinct styles and giving the movement such an organic feel. For me, their unique contributions resulted in a thrilling and celebratory film.

Nocredits
#1023The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 6:58pm

Trish2 said: "Nocredits said: "...I just want to politely point out...that the lack of representation on the screen was NO WHERE NEAR the lack of any kind of representations behind the scenes of this movie....and that is where the REAL problem lies...sure they want us to believe that this is a progressive movie that celebrates diversitybased onthe way they are promoting Lin and John Chu...but that's where it all ends. If you think the cast was white washed...I would challenge folks to look at ALL of the creative department heads of this movie. Not. One. Of. Them. Was Dominican. What's up with that..."

If you dig a bit deeper you’d find that yes, the lead choreographer Christopher Scott is white and a hip hop dancer. He’s choreographed for Chu before (“The LXD: The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers,” and the some of the STEP UP films).

BUT he hired associate choreographers who are a mix of ethnicities. Co-choreographer Eddie Torres, Jr. was responsible for the Latin dances, with his assistant Princess Serrano. Ebony Williams did the Afro, Contemporary, and ballet sequences. Then there’s Puerto Rican popper Emilio Dosal who brought additional hip hop elements to the film. Lastly, to work with the principal cast on their movement was Dana Wilson.

It took this gifted, diverse team of dance-makers to give this musical film its dance pulse. I applaud them for the massive task of flawlessly interweaving all of their distinctstyles and giving the movementsuch an organic feel. For me, their unique contributions resulted in a thrilling and celebratory film.
"

That's all beautiful and legit for sure, and Im glad these dancer are getting their shine. And the work is GOOD no doubt. But at the end of the day the head of an entire department was a white man, meaning the buck stopped with him. Im not saying it should not have been white person to choreograph this film, I'm saying that way to many(mainly all) of the creative department heads were white leadership and white creative control. To me that is absolutely ridiculous for a movie about a specific culture of people. 

BWAY Baby2
#1024The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/20/21 at 7:42pm

With the Republican Party resolved to end democracy- the unrelenting attacks on this movie seem tiresome and nit-picky.

Updated On: 6/20/21 at 07:42 PM

Videos