pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 42

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

hanabana
#1025SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:38am

Wow, $6,000 is impressive!  When I saw the show two Sundays ago, they had auctioned off Glenn's purple gloves that she wore during the show (which she autographed on the spot), and threw in a picture with her and her dog backstage, and that went for $2,200.  The auction process was very entertaining to watch.

I am so glad many here have mentioned Michael Xavier's performance, because when I saw it, I also thought he was definitely one of the highlights of the show!  Glenn Close was of course, phenomenal, but I was pleasantly surprised by Michael Xavier (having never seen him before).  His voice is amazing (as is his interpretation of the character), and I loved his rendition of "Sunset Boulevard" so much, I wish I could hear it again live.  I think the two main reasons I would love to have a cast recording for this production are: the beautiful orchestrations, and to hear Michael Xavier's Joe on a cast recording.  Hopefully it will happen!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1026SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 12:27pm

morosco said: "Glenn sounded rusty, even flat at first, but she nailed the money note at the end of "With One Look"

There has been some online speculation that her money note at the end of that number is pre-recorded.
"

It definitely wasn't pre-recorded when I saw the show; I know, because she cracked.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#1027SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 12:42pm

morosco said: "Glenn sounded rusty, even flat at first, but she nailed the money note at the end of "With One Look"

There has been some online speculation that her money note at the end of that number is pre-recorded.
"

Having seen the show three times, I'd put money down that it is not pre-recorded. They definitely pump the mics up for certain notes of With One Look, Sunset Boulevard, Greatest Star and As If We Never Said Goodbye. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

MizMamie Profile Photo
MizMamie
#1028SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 1:16pm

Daddy Warbucks said: "I was at the show on Saturday and Glen auctioned off some shoes that she was wearing on stage. They ended up going for $6000!"

The auction that was held on her birthday raised $10,000! Long video here, if anyone is interested: https://youtu.be/fRlwfEh07Xk

At the Saturday matinee, they auctioned off her autographed "vintage GAP" Sunset Blvd. denim jacket from the original production, her fake eyelashes, and her gloves, which went for $3300.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1029SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 2:51pm

MizMamie said: "The auction that was held on her birthday raised $10,000! Long video here, if anyone is interested: https://youtu.be/fRlwfEh07Xk"

WOW! yes

lczvera
#1030SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:24pm

chernjam said: "lczvera - watched most of it on Facebook and posted a question asking ALW the same question but didnt see it get asked... Did you have an opportunity after the event?

"

You and me both, chernjam SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved? I posted the question three times but never got picked. But if they ever read the messages afterwards, they will see that people are interested in a new cast recording.

I'm 99% sure that there is no plan for it yet. I emailed them and got a reply pretty much saying "no plan for anything regarding this new production for now, but you can always go and buy an old CD". Of cause there are still two months left, and they can announce a new recording at the very end of the run just like SITPWG. But I personally don't think there are as many fans asking for a new Sunset Blvd cast recording as there were for SITPWG, so let's hope the producers will preserve this amazing cast & orchestra no matter what.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1031SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:15pm

lczvera said: "You and me both, chernjam I posted the question three times but never got picked. But if they ever read the messages afterwards, they will see that people are interested in a new cast recording.

I'm 99% sure that there is no plan for it yet. I emailed them and got a reply pretty much saying "no plan for anything regarding this new production for now, but you can always go and buy an old CD". Of cause there are still two months left, and they can announce a new recording at the very end of the run just like SITPWG. But I personally don't think there are as many fans asking for a new Sunset Blvd cast recording as there were for SITPWG, so let's hope the producers will preserve this amazing cast & orchestra no matter what.

"

Well at least you got a response!  I wrote RUG and didn't hear back.   When I was at the matinee a week ago Saturday, I asked the guys selling merchandise if they heard anything about a new recording and they said they hadn't - and added "we literally just got these (as they pointed to the American Premiere recording/remaster) in a few days ago since we were sold out of them.  Which is kind of amazing to me.  And like I said, even on Amazon, that recording isn't as readily available - which makes me wonder if they AREN'T making a new recording, why isn't the old one being promoted/sold more?

10086sunset
#1032SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:05pm

Sunset raised the most money during this recent BC/EFA collection period.

"This year's top overall fundraising award went to Glenn Close and the company of Sunset Boulevard, which raised a jaw-dropping $509,246."

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1033SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:21pm

10086sunset said: "Sunset raised the most money during this recent BC/EFA collection period.

"This year's top overall fundraising award went to Glenn Close and the company of Sunset Boulevard, which raised a jaw-dropping $509,246."

"

Not going to lie, was great to see them smoke every other show... including Hamilton.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1034SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 9:18am

chernjam said: "Not going to lie, was great to see them smoke every other show... including Hamilton."

Particularly Hamilton. (Can you tell that I'm growing quite weary of Hamilton-Mania?)

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#1035SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:32pm

By the way, I finally got around to seeing this show and it was phenomenal.  I mentioned this in the Tony Predictions thread, but I think this is a sleeper pick for Best Revival of a Musical.  I was really surprised at how much I liked the show and watching the transformation and decline of Joe and Norma.  

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1036SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:45pm

Daddy Warbucks said: "By the way, I finally got around to seeing this show and it was phenomenal.  I mentioned this in the Tony Predictions thread, but I think this is a sleeper pick for Best Revival of a Musical.  I was really surprised at how much I liked the show and watching the transformation and decline of Joe and Norma.  

I feel the same way you do

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1037SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:54pm

Daddy Warbucks said: "By the way, I finally got around to seeing this show and it was phenomenal.  I mentioned this in the Tony Predictions thread, but I think this is a sleeper pick for Best Revival of a Musical.  I was really surprised at how much I liked the show and watching the transformation and decline of Joe and Norma.  

"

Especially since the reviews for Hello Dolly were enthusiastic for Middler but not as ravenous about the rest of the production.  The Tony Voters seeing Close revisit and remake this role might indeed be drawn to support Sunset (add the great will of Sunset topping fundraising for BC/EFA won't hurt)

A Director
#1038SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 7:05pm

Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "Not going to lie, was great to see them smoke every other show... including Hamilton."

Particularly Hamilton. (Can you tell that I'm growing quite weary of Hamilton-Mania?)

I 'm growing quite weary of the Sunset fanboys going on and on about this show.

"

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#1039SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 7:30pm

Sunset Blvd will not be winning best revival.  It may barely get nominated.  Close has her Tony, so to "honor" her work by giving the production a Best Revival Tony is absurd.  The reviews for Bette Midler and the production were both ecstatic and has clearly paved the way for Hello, Dolly! to be the frontrunner for the award.  This production is truly nothing special in my eyes.  Close is wonderful, but her voice isn't in the shape that it was once in and the orchestra is lovely, but I didn't care for the rest of the cast or for much of the design.  I have never been much of a fan of Sunset (I mean there are huge problems with the score and book), so I wasn't head over heels with the material to begin with and then you took away the beautiful sets, so there wasn't anything to distract me from those issues, and so I was left feeling like I was seeing another commercial ALW show with poor lyrics and sappy melodies without the spectacle to make up for it.  I just don't understand why some of you believe that this is a brilliant production and everyone loves it.  I mean the reviews were lukewarm and aside from a small group of people on here, I don't hear a lot of people freaking out about it.  This production will certainly not be creating an upset at the Tonys.  You can forget about that right now.  And yeah, I'm definitely sick and tired of the Sunset fan boys on here.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1040SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 7:33pm

icecreambenjamin said: "...And yeah, I'm definitely sick and tired of the Sunset fan boys on here.

"

Can't imagine why you'd subscribe to a thread like this then... But I suppose some people simply need something to complain about

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#1041SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/26/17 at 7:36pm

I thought I'd see what was happening in this thread since I haven't visited in a while and I thought that I'd express my opinion on the show.  Especially since some of you (especially muscle) enjoy visiting threads of shows they didn't like and will proceed to sh!t all over it.

Updated On: 4/26/17 at 07:36 PM

10086sunset
#1042SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/28/17 at 1:22pm

Michael Xavier to start with MTC's Prince of Broadway, August 4th.

https://twitter.com/ShentonStage/status/857972891505352706

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1043SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/28/17 at 6:02pm

10086sunset said: "Michael Xavier to start with MTC's Prince of Broadway, August 4th.

https://twitter.com/ShentonStage/status/857972891505352706

"

Was happy to see this... but disappointed as it seems that the rumors of Sunset extending post June 25th with a new Norma / or transferring to Los Angeles at the Ahmanson Theatre were untrue/not happening

M.O.A.I. Profile Photo
M.O.A.I.
#1044SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/28/17 at 6:28pm

It does look like they're not extending, at least not for long, but they could still very easily transfer to the Ahmanson. Prince of Broadway will need to finish its Friedman run by December for The Children to begin. The Ahmanson's TBA slot is between January and April.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1045SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/29/17 at 12:33am

Saw the revival again tonight. I'm a huge Sunset fan but will admit that it's not the best book or score. That being said there is something magical happening on stage. Everything has come together in a way that audiences to. Glenn is largely responsible. She's such a remarkable actress she is elevating the work. It's a legendary performance. 

Also Brittany Coleman was on as Betty. Great to see her and she did a nice job. She's soooo tiny next to Xavier though. Great to see an African American Betty. 

Also I was front row far aisle seat. Xavier is definitely not wearing underwear during Sunset Boulevard. SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1046SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/29/17 at 1:20am

Bettyboy72 said: "Saw the revival again tonight. I'm a huge Sunset fan but will admit that it's not the best book or score. That being said there is something magical happening on stage. Everything has come together in a way that audiences to. Glenn is largely responsible. She's such a remarkable actress she is elevating the work. It's a legendary performance. 

Also Brittany Coleman was on as Betty. Great to see her and she did a nice job. She's soooo tiny next to Xavier though. Great to see an African American Betty. 

Also I was front row far aisle seat. Xavier is definitely not wearing underwear during Sunset Boulevard.
"

I had noticed that Siobhan had posted on twitter being at an airport earlier today, so I wondered if she was out for the weekend...glad to hear that her understudy did well.

I disagree with you about Sunset not having the best book or score - but that's just personal preference.  I will agree though, Close and this production has definitely created something magical here.  When I saw it again a few weeks ago, I was amazed that I was still moved and drawn into a story and score I've heard countless times and seen live over a dozen times now.  

lczvera
#1047SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/30/17 at 6:50pm

I guess it's official- there will not be a new cast recording and they will not perform on Tony.

I stagedoored on Friday, talked to a handful of cast members (Glenn, Michael, Fred, Katie, Mackenzie, David, Kristen the conductor, etc). Everyone gives me a definite "no, it's not happening". Michael said "it's too expensive to make one," which I doubt it's the reason, and Glenn just said "oh, I have to chat w/ the producers soon about that." But now I'm sure it's not gonna happen.

David told us that the show was going to extend for another 4 weeks with a new Norma, but that plan got cancelled. The producer is talking about taking the whole company to Australia for tour in Oct/Nov, but the cast also isn't expecting that actually works. They are not performing at Tony, b/c "there are too many shows this year".

So guys, I strongly encourage you to catch it before June 25. The orchestra alone is worth to go. Both Glenn Close and Michael Xavier are astonishing. Lottery is quite easy to win, and the seats are mostly orch.

Updated On: 4/30/17 at 06:50 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1048SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/30/17 at 7:26pm

lczvera said: "I guess it's official- there will not be a new cast recording and they will not perform on Tony.

I stagedoored on Friday, talked to a handful of cast members (Glenn, Michael, Fred, Katie, Mackenzie, David, Kristen the conductor, etc). Everyone gives me a definite "no, it's not happening". Michael said "it's too expensive to make one," which I doubt it's the reason, and Glenn just said "oh, I have to chat w/ the producers soon about that." But now I'm sure it's not gonna happen.

David told us that the show was going to extended for another 4 weeks with a new Norma, but that plan got cancelled. The producer is talking about taking the whole company to Australia for tour in Oct/Nov, but the cast also isn't expecting that actually works. They are not performing at Tony, b/c "there are too many shows this year".

So guys, I strongly encourage you to catch it before June 25. The orchestra alone is worth to go. Both Glenn Close and Michael Xavier are astonishing. Lottery is quite easy to win, and the seats are mostly orch.

"

Not going to lie... kind of bummed reading this.  Had hoped for a minor extension with another Norma (always neat to see different interpretations) and some recording especially since the new orchestrations and new cast really dwarf the original recording (although maybe Glenn can convince them).  I suppose LA is completely out of the question too.   Damn Michael Riedel getting hopes up.  Part of the problem is that it has been a crazy busy season.  Sunsets run has been impressive financially but with a little less competition, it would've been even harder ticket to get.  

Will be back at least two more times (a third if it does extend)

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1049SUNSET BOULEVARD -can we get this preserved?
Posted: 4/30/17 at 7:26pm

lczvera said: "I guess it's official- there will not be a new cast recording and they will not perform on Tony.

David told us that the show was going to extended for another 4 weeks with a new Norma, but that plan got cancelled. The producer is talking about taking the whole company to Australia for tour in Oct/Nov, but the cast also isn't expecting that actually works. They are not performing at Tony, b/c "there are too many shows this year".

"

Not going to lie... kind of bummed reading this.  Had hoped for a minor extension with another Norma (always neat to see different interpretations) and some recording especially since the new orchestrations and new cast really dwarf the original recording (although maybe Glenn can convince them).  I suppose LA is completely out of the question too.   Damn Michael Riedel getting hopes up.  Part of the problem is that it has been a crazy busy season.  Sunsets run has been impressive financially but with a little less competition, it would've been even harder ticket to get.  

Will be back at least two more times (a third if it does extend)

Videos