pixeltracker

Now is Our Time, Ragtime: The Official Ragtime Love Thread- Page 5

Now is Our Time, Ragtime: The Official Ragtime Love Thread

sgv123
#100listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/17/09 at 6:34pm

Though not this production, I found this 6 part making of documentary from 1997 featuring clips of the obc and alot of really interesting information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x506UI10IM&feature=related

RentBoy86
#101listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:04pm

I saw it last night, and it seemed pretty full. Anyways, not to hijack the thread, or call the show out, but I just wasn't that impressed. I liked the direction. I thought what she did was great, except for the Model T. If they're going to do Poor Theater techniques and whatnot, why then have a replica of a scaled down version of a Model T? Why not be more inventive with it? Other than that, I thought she did a great job. I loved the set and the way it worked, and the costumes were fine.

The show itself was kind of hit or miss. I think the book is terrible. The whole talking in the 3rd person is ridiculous especially when they refer to themselves as "Younger Brother" etc. The score was okay. One too many power ballads, but they were okay. I think I expected some of the "bigger" songs to be better than they were so I was a little let down, but I loved the girl who played Sarah.

The performances all lacked that spark to me with the exception of Sarah and Mother's Younger Brother. Coalhouse had a great voice, but he just didn't transform for me. And Mother's "Back to Before" didn't quite do it for me.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#102listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:20pm

Rentboy, Ragtime the musical is based on E.L. Doctorow's novel of the same name. The characters in the musical (Mother, Father, Mother's Younger Brother) are all referred to as such in the book.

I thought Terence McNally did a wonderful job of adapting the novel into the book for the musical. There are direct passages from the novel that are used in the show.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 12/17/09 at 10:20 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#103listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:32pm

The funny thing about Ragtime for me: when I first left the theater...I liked it. Maybe even liked it a lot. But the more I thought about it and both the story and the produciton sunk in, the more I really fell in love with it.

Going back next week. Can't wait.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Oldschool
#104listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:32pm

Rentboy, thank you for a well rounded review. I don't mean to come off patronizing, but it is infrequent around these parts that we get such balanced and unimpassioned commentary. It's refreshing. And while I'm sorry the production didn't grab you, thanks for the commentary. We need more like that around here even if some don't agree with it.

RentBoy86
#105listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:46pm

DottieD'Luscia: I totally understand that and the source material. But I would think while that works for literature, it doesn't work for the stage. I'm not saying he needed to give them names, but don't make them refers to themselves as such. Plus, I don't think past tense drama really works for the stage. Like with Irena's Vow last season. It's that old saying of show me don't tell me.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#106listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/17/09 at 11:09pm

Rentboy, I wasn't sure if you knew that, which is why I mentioned it. I guess it's a case of apples and oranges. I happen to like the way the story was told, but understand where you're coming from. Then again, I'm partial to this show (music, book and performances) as it's my all-time favorite.

Glad you kept an open mind though.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

RentBoy86
#107listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/17/09 at 11:52pm

Yeah. I mean, would I see it again? Totally. But I just thought it had its flaws. For once I actually wish they had taken more liberties with the source material. And there parts that were not needed. Like the Model-T number and the baseball number. But when the show worked, it worked. I loved Sarah's song about her son. It was so beautiful.

bwaybabe2
#108listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/18/09 at 3:41am

This was the magnificient production that they raved about in DC! Sooo glad I got to finally see it! If ever a show has it, this one does! I found absolutely nothing bad to say about it. The sets, costumes, acting, especially the high caliber acting here, props, etc...all well done, effective and enduring in any theater goer's memory.
And the music...well, the music just will not leave my mind since I saw this show. Captivating, to say the least.

This is THE one to see, if you visit NYC in December, and then we shall see what they'll do with the show, if it will close, or stay. IMHO, if they close, it will be the greatest mistkake in closing a show they would have made. This show is going to be pulling people in for a while. When I went...full house!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#109listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/18/09 at 10:49am

FYI, in case anyone missed them on GMA this morning, they didn't perform. It was only a two minute plug and showed them helping with the coat drive.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#110listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/18/09 at 1:21pm

Well THAT'S stupid.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#111listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/18/09 at 1:46pm

Yeah, and Quentin taught Sam Champion how to do his two-step that he does in the opening number... :P

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#112listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/21/09 at 2:08pm

Mamie Parris will be on as Mother on Jan 9 for both shows and January 10

Oldschool
#113I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 3:39pm

And the Little Engine that could: Ragtime's grosses up 11%, seating up to 75.5% up from 64.5% with a gross of $540,830 up from 517,741 last week. Keep it going! Surprisingly, Finian's dropped from $603,814 down to $518,196 this week.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#114I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 3:41pm

The 11.0% is their attendance increase, not their gross increase.

Oldschool
#115I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 3:52pm

Quite right. They had a 4.5% increase in weekly gross. Still, every little bit helps.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#116I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 4:25pm

Yay! It's still not amazing, but every little bit helps, I'm sure.

taylorPHENOMENON2
#117I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 4:36pm

Good to see SOME improvement

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#118I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 10:38pm

Crap, I bought my ticket for the 9th just to see Noll. She's not above the title is she?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#119I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 10:40pm

I believe everyone is below the title. Sorry.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#120I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 10:54pm

Are you able to go to the box office? If you explain the situation to them nicely, they might be willing to allow you an exchange. It all depends on who you get at the window at that day, since the tickets state "no refunds, no exchanges."

ashley0139
#121I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/21/09 at 11:29pm

Can we discuss a little bit the differences between the original production and this production? I didn't see the original, and knew most of the music before I saw this revival.

There are some definite differences, even between the cd and what they sing onstage. Most interesting to me is that they cut the first scene of the second act (the dream?) from this production. Does anyone know why? Did it not work in the original? Also, are there any other major changes between the two productions?

EDIT: Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but well, I haven't seen it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 12/22/09 at 11:29 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#122I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/22/09 at 12:04am

Saw it for the fifth time tonight - outstanding. I was lucky enough to win the lotto and seeing this from the front row was incredible. Tears were in my eyes practically the entire show - and the audience LOVED it. Can't wait to see it again!

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#123I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/22/09 at 12:14am

just saw it tonight and loved it. I want to see it again

taylorPHENOMENON2
#124I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/22/09 at 2:38am

Also won the lotto again tonight. Definitely some good vibes and good energy

Videos