broadwaygal3
#102Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/21/11 at 4:46pm

Movin' Out and The Drowsy Chaperone
The revivals of Kiss Me Kate and Wonderful Town

CromTO
#103Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/21/11 at 4:53pm

Dear God! I believe mine would have to be 'Grease'--I still think the movie is better.

The 2010 revival of 'Promises, Promises.' Loved the cast but the music sounded dated, the song additions were unnecessary and 'Turkey Lurkey Time'-by FAR my favorite song/number-was completely butchered in every aspect, most glaringly the choreography.

Also 'Beauty and the Beast'--thank you Disney for turning into George Lucas and raping my childhood! This is the #1 worst show for me. A Disney Production of one of their most acclaimed and beloved films--not to mention my favorite--what could go wrong? Everything, but I'll leave it to the thing that pissed me off the most about that damn show, the song additions. I absolutely hated them and spent the entire show rolling my eyes.

Now with the rumors that Disney is trying to make almost all of their movies musicals I certainly hope that they're half as good as 'The Lion King' and/or 'Mary Poppins' because BATB sucked.

P.S. I appreciate, respect and love Alan Menken's work-shaped my childhood-but he owes a huge debt to Howard Ashman who's lyrics were the real genius.

Gothampc
#104Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/21/11 at 5:12pm

What was that steaming pile of stink about the Tourette's syndrome guy that was written by that dirty old man who wrote You Light Up My Life?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 3/21/11 at 05:12 PM

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#105Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/21/11 at 5:44pm

Of anything that's been on Broadway, Starlight Express. Hot Feet would be up there, but I walked out of it at intermission (to this date the only Broadway show I've ever walked out on) so I'll mark it as an incomplete.

Of all musicals I've ever seen, the clear loser is Idol: The Musical. I couldn't gracefully walk out because I was in the front row, but it was still tempting. The audience barely even applauded at the end.

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#106Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/21/11 at 6:14pm

I don't hate any shows, BUT I greatly dislike with a passion

The Lion King- You basically pay to see Circle of Life... disappointed
Billy Elliot- just no...
Mamma Mia- Not even a good high school production
Wicked- didn't dislike with a passion, but if you paid me to watch it again, I probably would, but I would just take a nice nap
Side Show- Loved it, until the song about the Siamese twins singing about never leaving each other... really?

Honorable Mentions
Fela!
Grease (2008 Revival)
Cats

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#107Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/21/11 at 6:16pm

Tango Argentino was an "incomplete" for me, Cal.

On Broadway, I would say Raggedy Ann: The Musical. And Titanic: The Musical.

A recent disappointment (meaning the last 5 years): Mary Poppins

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 3/22/11 at 06:16 PM

wonderland01
#108Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/21/11 at 9:10pm

Memphis. Painfully bad, and the only reason I didn't walk out was because we were with a group. It was a free ticket and I still left feeling like I wanted my money back.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#109Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/21/11 at 10:45pm

"I'm curious about all of the Blood Brothers hate, myself. Anyone want to give their reasons for disliking the show? Just curious."

? I'd like to answer truthfully
About why I hate this show;
Instead, here is one more reprise
Of "Marilyn Monroe":

And we went dancing!
We went dancing...?

(repeat 500 times)

LitesofBway89
#110Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/22/11 at 1:59am

Grease and Annie......hate them.....

#111Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/22/11 at 3:17am

"
The worst musical I have seen is Ashman & Menken's "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater."

Your Most Hated Musical

Gothampc
#112Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/22/11 at 9:25am

I like Blood Brothers but I can understand the dislike for the show. I remember seeing it for the first time and thinking that they really overdid the Marilyn Monroe motif. When the mother compares her son's troubles to Marilyn Monroe, I thought that was a really low point in writing. If she had compared a daughter to Marilyn, I might have gone with it, but not the character that was portrayed in the show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

soubrette
#113Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/22/11 at 11:17am

Legally Blonde
A Catered Affair
The Phantom of the Opera
The Wedding Singer
Victor/Victoria
Leap of Faith

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#114Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/22/11 at 11:19am

EricMontreal22: Do you like "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater"?

The director loved it apparently and wrote a love letter to Menken in the program.

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#115Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/22/11 at 6:06pm

Jimmy
and
Nick and Nora

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......
Updated On: 11/14/11 at 06:06 PM

#116Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/22/11 at 8:43pm

ErinDillyFan--to be fair, I know better than to come into a thread like this and complain about people's choices--it's all relative and personal, but I was surprised to see God Bless You, Mr Rosewater listed. Partly cuz it's still pretty relatively unknown it seems-- But I admit I love the score. That said, while I read the original novel way back in Jr High, I've never read the libretto or seen it performed--but I think the music is vintage Ashman/Menken and would love to have a legit recording of it at some time.

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#117Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/22/11 at 9:08pm

American Idiot
Women on the Verge
The Music Man

Hank
#118Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/23/11 at 10:34am

Tie: Next To Normal and Grey Gardens.
Also, the first act of Caroline Or Change, I didn't stay for the second act.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#119Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/23/11 at 10:51am

Of anything that's been on Broadway, Starlight Express.

I loved it back in 1988 when it was new. It was flashy, fun, exciting and different. When I finally saw the production in London in 1999, it was an absolute chore to sit through. The entire cast phoned it in and the audience chatted loudly amongst themselves until there was a song they could clap along with. The set was still fantastic, but it was clear nobody involved with the show cared about it any more or even made an attempt. It was just about showing up and picking up a paycheck. That same year I saw Cats in London for the first time and the entire production still seemed fresh and it was enchanting.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

wexy
#120Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/23/11 at 11:12am

The Civil War was near the top as was Nick and Nora

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

wexy
#121Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/23/11 at 11:15am

The Civil War was near the top as was Nick and Nora

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

voteforsaraberry Profile Photo
voteforsaraberry
#122Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 11/13/11 at 10:10pm

I can't stand Cats or Phantom. One was just bad, the other is WILDLY overrated.

I'm normally the kind of person who likes the musicals that don't do well/everyone hates/has a small fan base. Like The Wedding Singer. A lot of people seem to hate on that one, when I find it to be highly enjoyable. :)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#123Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 11/13/11 at 10:19pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

I'm totally unmotivated to check if I answered this already.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bernadettelupone17
#124Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 11/13/11 at 10:25pm

I have to say that my most hated musical would be Starmites. It has the most awful book of a musical that has ever been written. All I can remember about the show is some comic book comes to life and the pet lizard turns out to be the evil Shak Graa (That is seriously the plot). I have see many bad shows but none can even compare to Starmites. I also thought Working was awful.

Videos