So--who will replace Bernadette?

REALstr8
#100So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 8:43am

LISA VROMAN from Phantom

REALstr8
#101So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 8:45am

If you like Peters try Lisa Vroman.... I have seen her in Kiss Me Kate she was AMAZING!!! I think she is equally as emotional thrilling as Peters.

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#102So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 9:12am

Hold that phone, people. How did we not think of Lisa Vroman?
CALL OFF THE SEARCH.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#103So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 9:28am

I saw Lisa in Phantom (around 2002?). Her voice is incredible, but she's not going to sell reams of tickets in Los Angeles.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#104So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 9:29am

Yeah, Lisa Vroman will sell the house out. They'll be lining up at the box office, shrieking for tix to the Lisa Vroman show. The stage door will be require a SWAT team to keep Lisa Vroman's hordes of fans from tearing down the theatre.

Ditto Julia Murney, Marin Mazzie, Florence Lacey and a few others discussed herein.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#105So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 9:36am

They don't need an all-star cast, but they need a "Bernadette Peters"-type name or two in the roster to guarantee some box office. I'm sure they'll find someone, too.

And not a "where are they now?" name, like Lesley Ann Warren. Someone who's in the public eye (TV or film).

Kim Cattrall would be great if they could get her for Phyllis. Then they could cast a "theatre person" (Lisa Vroman, Victoria Clark, etc.) opposite her. And one of the guys should be fairly well-known, too. And hopefully, Carlotta as well (I like the idea of Stockard Channing).

Updated On: 12/23/11 at 09:36 AM

random person 112
#106So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 10:06am

best12 warren is currently on television playing jinx shannon on In plain sight on the USA network, the theater follies will be doing the show at previously worked with warren and the run did do quite well.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#107So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 11:01am

The idea of Stockard Channing (much as I love her) murdering "I'm Still Here" could induce nightmares.

Perhaps she could dandle Matthew Risch on her lap, as paid boytoy, while Joe Mantello directs...

snookyookums
#108So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 11:19am

I've heard that the majority of the cast is planning on transferring, as of now. Granted, a lot can happen between now and May... Also, Victoria Clark is the frontrunner.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#109So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:11pm

Great to hear about Clark, and my apologies to Ms. Warren. Shows you how much I follow TV anymore. But I'm glad to hear she's on a show, and I do think she's talented.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#110So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:17pm

L.A., hmmm....

Here's some ideas

Michelle Pfeiffer and Karen Allen

or

Blair Brown and Patty Duke

or

Brooke Shields and someone less, or hardly, known who can really sing the $%^& out of Sally, like the great Patti Cohenour

henrikegerman
#111So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:22pm

And, yes, OMG, Leslie Ann Warren, would be absolutely wonderful as Sally!

By the way, anyone know whatever happened to Sophie Hayden? She might be very good.

Updated On: 12/23/11 at 12:22 PM

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#112So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 5:10pm

As for Carlotta, I was thinking while on a walk today...

Cybill Shepherd
Adrienne Barbeau
Karen Black

Each one of these women has seen it all and they're "still here!"

Last time I checked, they were all in good vocal shape. They might be a little old, but they can still pass for 50's under the right lighting.

henrikegerman
#113So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 5:14pm

ComingupRoses, there is absolutely no one better suited for Carlotta than Karen Black, if she could still pull it off. (btw I've mentioned her as my number one choice for the role before)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#114So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 6:38pm

I'm still HEEEEEEERRE! Look who's HEEEEEEEEERE!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#115So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 6:48pm

I would pay good money to see Ebersole as Sally. I think she'd knock it out of the park. And just imagine Losing My Mind. Ugh. That would be inspired casting.

random person 112
#116So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 8:45pm

Since we've strayed into Carlotta i think Carrie Fisher might be interesting, i heard her mentioned in another thread and i think she'd be great. Or Joanna Gleason for Phyllis. But big question Martin Short as Buddy?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#117So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 8:56pm

It seems like a trend on here to suggest actors completely out of the age range for these characters. The only reason it works with Bernadette is because she legitimately passes for 49-years-old.

random person 112
#118So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 9:00pm

LJ in all respect to bernie she does not look like a woman in late fourties or even early fifties.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#119So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 9:03pm

I disagree

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/23/11 at 09:03 PM

random person 112
#120So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 9:13pm

It's not a crack against her i mean she is a very gorgeous woman but fourty nine. Then there is stage makeup i truly believe the stuff truly does work miracles.
(not in regards to Bernie just in general.)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#121So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 9:33pm

If they got Ebersole as Sally, I might legitimately be looking into cross-country flights.

Martin Short as Buddy also seems like a great idea (and one that could conceivably happen, too).

staunchcharacter Profile Photo
staunchcharacter
#122So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 10:27pm

Who doesn't want Faith Prince singing Broadway Baby?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#123So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 10:39pm

Just as an example:

Bernadette at 63.

Actress/reality star Kim Richards at 47.

Yes, Bernadette can easily pass for 49/early 50s. Some women in their late 40s look ten years older than Bernadette.

Updated On: 12/23/11 at 10:39 PM

bwayfan7000
#124So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 10:50pm

Bernadette is, to my mind, utterly believable as 49. I think it's less important for an actress to be 49 than to look 49. Hell, people have been suggesting Chenoweth for the role in 10-15 years, but I'm pretty sure she's 43 now. Would we be suggesting her for this role in 6 years?

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos