Pippin Tour?

RW3
#100Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:56pm

Still no reason for Kyle Selig's departure?

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#101Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:09pm

According to an article here Kyle Selig was ordered on vocal rest by his doctor for the rest of the tour.

I don't agree that Pippin can be too pretty. The lead player and his (or her) band travel the countryside looking for attractive young men to play Pippin, and then drive them to suicide.

"This is his first time playing the role". And last if the LP has their way!!

Updated On: 10/30/14 at 02:09 PM

keb2 Profile Photo
keb2
#102Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:14pm

To me, Lewis is the pretty, dumb one, whereas Pippin is more normal in general (except for his academic background). He's ordinary and strives to be extraordinary.

ETA: To me, Pippin is the "boy next door." Updated On: 10/30/14 at 02:14 PM

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#103Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:15pm

I'm so happy! Seeing Matthew James Thomas tonight for the second and final time & next week Kyle Dean Massey. This touring show has been the most luckiest thing to happen to us theatre goers here in L.A. Getting to see the original Pippins John & Matthew, Andrea Martin, & NOW Kyle who we saw doing all those broadway.com vlogs. Touring shows never really get well known actors for roles. This is a treat!

RW3
#104Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:26pm

Direct from Pippin Twitter account:
"Kyle Dean Massey is joining the PIPPIN tour for a limited time only! Get tickets here: http://bit.ly/1wJUxht"
So, is Kyle Selig going to join the tour afterwards?

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#105Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:30pm

I was reading a Fosse bio last night. The Pippin chapter is utterly fascinating.

John Rubinstein wanted to add more depth to Pippin, but Fosse told him "no". "Just be wide eyed and naive the whole time." Fosse wanted Rubinstein to play the actor playing Pippin.

The battles between Fosse and Schwartz are so interesting. On the one hand, the show was Schwartz's baby and Fosse changed the entire conception. On the other hand, without Fosse's changes, there is no way it would've run 1,944 performances and been so acclaimed.

Fosse's caricature of Schwartz in the movie All That Jazz is really nasty, too.

Updated On: 10/30/14 at 02:30 PM

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#106Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:23pm

I really wish they'd be more specific and tell us just how long a "limited time only" actually is.

The tour is playing in Pittsburgh in just less than 3 months time and I'm hoping I can see Kyle in this role. Fingers crossed!

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 10/30/14 at 03:23 PM

Justin_
#107Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 4:35pm

I'm going to assume he's officially out of the tour for good. He used to list Pippin in his bio on his twitter, but it's not there anymore (https://twitter.com/kyleaselig).

Also, I find the vocal rest part of it interesting if he is well enough to be out auditioning (https://twitter.com/mikeschwitter/status/525321612594528256), but there is definitely a difference between a few auditions and 8 shows a week.

Either way, KDM sounded great in the show when I saw it this summer!
Updated On: 10/30/14 at 04:35 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#108Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:07pm

I know KDM is with the tour through Las Vegas(Nov. 30) at least. After that is unknown.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

neonlightsxo
#109Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 10:06am

Justin, yeah, I don't buy the vocal rest thing either. It seems he's just been let go.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#110Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 11:44am

Well now he's with it through the holidays. I'm sure KDM is making bank off of the tour.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#111Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:27pm

At the stage door last night I talk to Kyle Dean Massey he was already there. One day after his last Broadway performance. Seeing him next week, cant wait.

I asked Matthew James Thomas what are his plans after the show and he said that he has a big project that he can't talk about right now. Then I asked musical or pay, and he said musical.... YAY! BTW,He's super nice.

Second time seeing it last night and Andrea Martin didnt stage door again? I dont think see likes to.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#112Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 12:51pm

Poor Kyle Selig. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I got to see Matthew James, but it had to have been heartbreaking for Kyle. I wonder what the deal was? Just not hitting the notes? Frankly, I don't think Pippin is really that much of an acting challenge.

Poor kid. There really is a broken heart for every light on Broadway...

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#113Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 2:18pm

I saw Kyle Selig as Elder Price in the Book of Morman at the Pantages- he blew the roof off the place. His voice was incredibly good. I had also seen him in other local performances when he was younger and he was never less than fantastic. It is a shame he didn’t get to perform Pippin. I thought that could be a star making performance for him.
If I couldn’t see Kyle at the Pantages I was thrilled to see Matthew James Thomas again. I saw the Broadway production in July of 2013 from the balcony. This time I saw the show from the 2nd row. Matthew has definitely grown in the role. I also noticed a lot of subtle elements to his character sitting so close. Being in the 2nd row was cool. Andrea was right in front of me for the opening. I gave her a thumbs up when they were greeting the audience. She gave me a wink and later pointed to me. That was great. Matthew came through the audience at one point and tried to startle the woman at the end of the row, a few seats from me. She didn’t react at all. He said, “nothing? Really nothing”.
By a chance occurrence I found Matthew and Porridge right in front of me when I arrived early at the theatre. I talked to him a minute. Such a nice guy. I took some pictures of Porridge. He signed a message for the student cast of a show that I have in rehearsal. They loved that. I have a front row center mezzanine seat for Sunday night. I talked to him after the show and was thrilled to find out that it was his final performance. Yes, and as mentioned earlier he is going into a workshop for a new musical. I told him that I would be looking forward to seeing him in future shows.
I never have done stage door. When I was in New York my hotel room window faced the front of the Music Box and saw Patina and Matthew sign for everyone who was waiting. I thought it would be unique to get both original Pippins- Matthew and John Rubinstein to sign a poster so I want back after the show. John was the first one out but met his friend and went back into the theatre. I never saw him come out again. Sasha, Sabrina, the actors who played Theo and Lewis, some of the ensemble and of course Matthew did sign and take photos. They were all very nice to the people waiting. No as nice is the guard who at an appointed time says he has to close the gate and everyone past the gate line must move to the sidewalk. Get to the front if you don’t want to be shut out. Andrea never does stage door one of the staff said.
I am seeing the show again in Orange County later in November so I will be seeing Kyle Dean Massey. I am happy that I will get to see Lucie Arnaz as Berthe. I saw her years ago in They’re Playing Our Song and Wonderful Town. I always wanted to see her in more stage shows.

Wish I had been there to see this
Pippin Tour?

Updated On: 10/31/14 at 02:18 PM

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#114Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 2:22pm

This just announced
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Kyle-Dean-Massey-to-Remain-with-PIPPIN-National-Tour-for-Washington-DC-Engagement-20141031

Also Lucie said in an interview that she is not booked for the entire tour. I wonder who they will get to play Berthe after her.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#115Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 3:23pm

Josh Kaufman's Broadway engagement ends the same night as the Washington, D.C. tour engagement.

I wonder if he'll take over the rest of the tour. I bet the "...featuring two stars of NBC's 'THE VOICE'" marketing scheme is being developed already.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#116Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 3:50pm

I uhh... I ask this with only the slightest bit of ill will.. is Sasha Allen booked for the full tour? Looks like I might be in Minneapolis during the tour's MN stop. Would love to see it again, but only if Allen is no longer with the tour.

RW3
#117Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 4:40pm

Maybe Kyle S. is replacing Josh Kaufman on Broadway? We still don't know who is replacing Josh after January 4th?

Alessio2
#118Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 4:53pm

HorseTears I know exactly how you feel...I really wanted to catch the tour again while it's still here in LA, but decided not to because I would really like to see a different LP! I'm planning on a trip to NY after the holidays and will just catch it again on Broadway!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#119Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:58pm

If you fallow the understudies page on twitter it might announce when the LP's understudy is going on.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#120Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 6:45pm

There is a understudy page on twitter?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Wildcard
#121Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 6:56pm

This page?
@Understudies

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#122Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:05pm

Yes!

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#123Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:18pm

I saw Sasha last night for the second time. Let me just break the news. There is NEVER going to be another person who sings & acts like Patina Miller. GET OVER IT. Not seeing the show just for not liking ONE person is a loss in your end. She was amazing the second time I saw her. I feel like she is improving everyday... I mean come on she's trying to portray a character two Tony Award winners have already done. (Vereen & Miller). Cut her some slack. She CAN sing the house DOWN! Her dancing is pretty good & her acting is average but getting better. So if your planning on skipping it for reading "personal opinions" and not your own, your going to miss out.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#124Pippin Tour?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:37pm

"I saw Sasha last night for the second time. Let me just break the news. There is NEVER going to be another person who sings & acts like Patina Miller. GET OVER IT. Not seeing the show just for not liking ONE person is a loss in your end. She was amazing the second time I saw her. I feel like she is improving everyday... I mean come on she's trying to portray a character two Tony Award winners have already done. (Vereen & Miller). Cut her some slack."

I didn't mind her. But the above statement is BS. First of all.. this is a national 1st tour of a big broadway show. SHE BETTER BRING IT! The " she is improving everyday" comment is ridiculous. This is not a class, college production, or a off broadway show. Now one is there to watch her growth. SHE NEEDS TO BRING IT! And as far as the reference to Patina... Even she wasn't all that in the role. There are tons of ladies out there that could have put her to shame. But I do agree... if she is your reason for missing it then you are a fool.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 10/31/14 at 07:37 PM

Videos