WAR PAINT Previews

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#100WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:05pm

uncageg said: "Queen, I was expecting that to happen. But as it started I thought that somewhere in the middle of the opening number the two would enter at the same time. That I would have loved. Make us wait just a bit.

"

It's funny you say this, because that's actually how the show opened in Chicago. It curtain came up to reveal Rubinstein at her desk on the left, and Arden at her desk on the right. I thought it was effective enough as they both got applause together, then later when they re-entered individually, they both got re-entrance applause. Seems like what they did in Chicago was working better than the confusion of who's who in the ensemble. 

Updated On: 3/8/17 at 01:05 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#101WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:09pm

Wow. Yes that's a much more effective opening then what they have now.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Trish2
#102WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:22pm

How were Gattelli's dance contributions to the show? Is there much of it, or merely staging?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#103WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:27pm

I saw both and found the individual entrances to be far more effective. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#104WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:40pm

If they want individual entrances, they need a song that is structured to build for a star's entrance. Jerry Herman knew how to do that. I'm not sure these writers do.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#105WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:46pm

Wait, are they going for camp?

Not from what I could tell in Chicago.  The only camp I recall was in the title song, which is now mercifully cut.  Well, and the bit with Rubinstein's dog was pretty campy, which was one of my favorite moments.  Is that still in the show?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#106WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:50pm

Trish2 said: "How were Gattelli's dance contributions to the show? Is there much of it, or merely staging?"

They were fine. Funny you should ask because I really didn't pay attention to the choreography until the big Revlon number. Outside of that it blended into the staging for me. 

Just give the world Love.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#107WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:52pm

Yes it is but that's not really what I would consider camp either. The closest this show comes to camp is the final scene which feels like it might give us something delicious along the lines of the "bathroom cat fight" from Valley of the Dolls but stops well short of that. I by the way loved the lipstick moment in that last scene. I wish the rest of the show had moments as lovely as that.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#108WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 2:01pm

The lipstick moment was womderful!

Also, it was interesting that we got the cell phone amd photos announcememt before each act. I got a GYPSY flashback!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#109WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:09pm

Scarywarhol said: "I saw both and found the individual entrances to be far more effective. 

After seeing both versions as well, I agree that this new method is more effective. It was nice at the time to give them women applause as the curtain rose and then again on each of their entrances, but now it's all that more exciting when they make their individual entrances having not seen them previously.

Christine enters by descending a staircase and singing "I'm here" dressed to the nines. It doesn't get any grander than that. Patti's entrance line was completely swallowed by applause, but she enters on a gang plank and shouts, "It's good to be back in New York, isn't it!" Rarely do you see stars have such wonderfully over the top entrances nowadays. 

I don't think the show is aiming for camp, nor do I think the end result is campy at all. I think when the audience laughed the creators were intending for laughter. Patti's zingers are funny and they got the desired laughs. To me, high camp is like an Into the Light or Prince of Central Park- so earnestly bad that it leaves you in unintended stitches. 

Maybe ljay is right in that this will end up being a cult show. I'm happy to volunteer myself as one of the leaders of the cult council and preside over worship ceremonies and sacrifices to the goddesses, Patti and Christine. :) 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#110WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:30pm

Currently at intermission for the matinee - the first half of act one is very strong, the second half drags on a bit. The number "Step On Out" (I think it's called) needs to be shortened, or cut altogether and replaced with a scene, in my opinion.

Lovely house staff here, even if the leg room is very restricting. Will do a more detailed review after the show.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#111WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:31pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Scarywarhol said: "I saw both and found the individual entrances to be far more effective. 

After seeing both versions as well, I agree that this new method is more effective. It was nice at the time to give them women applause as the curtain rose and then again on each of their entrances, but now it's all that more exciting when they make their individual entrances having not seen them previously.

Christine enters by descending a staircase and singing "I'm here" dressed to the nines. It doesn't get any grander than that. Patti's entrance line was completely swallowed by applause, but she enters on a gang plank and shouts, "It's good to be back in New York, isn't it!" Rarely do you see stars have such wonderfully over the top entrances nowadays. 

I don't think the show is aiming for camp, nor do I think the end result is campy at all. I think when the audience laughed the creators were intending for laughter. Patti's zingers are funny and they got the desired laughs. To me, high camp is like an Into the Light or Prince of Central Park- so earnestly bad that it leaves you in unintended stitches. 

Maybe ljay is right in that this will end up being a cult show. I'm happy to volunteer myself as one of the leaders of the cult council and preside over worship ceremonies and sacrifices to the goddesses, Patti and Christine. :) 

"

I'd join that cult! 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#112WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:37pm

As someone who loves Grey Gardens, how does War Paint's score compare?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#113WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:38pm

There will be some strict initiation rituals, including an Arden color quiz, so start studying!!WAR PAINT Previews

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#114WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:40pm

I frankly was surprised this score was written by the same people. It has none of Grey Garden's musicality or craft. But obviously a few people here feel differently.

whizzer- I have a feeling I am the only person on this board who has ever actually used an Elizabeth Arden product. Have any other women seen this show? The EA spa is fabulous. If anything the show is also a big commercial for it and Bergdorff Goodman.

Updated On: 3/8/17 at 03:40 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#115WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:45pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Currently at intermission for the matinee - the first half of act one is very strong, the second half drags on a bit. The number "Step On Out" (I think it's called) needs to be shortened, or cut altogether and replaced with a scene, in my opinion.

Lovely house staff here, even if the leg room is very restricting. Will do a more detailed review after the show."

I am always impressed with their house staff. They are strict but not nasty. Last night they were swift and quiet about the picture taking at the end. The evening I saw Honeymoon in Vegas we had 4 very loud and drunk women next to us. I spoke to one of the ushers about it right before the curtain went up. The women continued being loud and before we knew it their stealth staff swooped in and got the women out of the row and into the lobby. In like 15 secomds!

I was upstairs last night and the leg room is horrible. I thankfully had an aisle seat in row M so I was able to extend my legs when they started to fall asleep!

Updated On: 3/8/17 at 03:45 PM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#116WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:49pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "As someone who loves Grey Gardens, how does War Paint's score compare?

It doesn't

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#117WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:54pm

There are a few very subtle "nods" to that score in Ebersole's numbers. But I also attribute that to their somgwriting style.

Will3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
#118WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 4:12pm

I know it's only in previews now but does anyone think it will extend past Sept 3rd? I have a trip planned for Sep 20-25 and have saved a spot for it. I extended  my trip so i now have 3 more slots to fill with Come From Away one of them I think. I already have Hamilton, Hello Dolly and Miss Saigon. Any suggestions? I really want to see Significant Other but from what I'm reading it wont extend.Thanks

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#119WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 4:15pm

I would be surprised if it ran past Labor Day.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#120WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 4:20pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "As someone who loves Grey Gardens, how does War Paint's score compare?

"

There is one song, Pink, that is incredibly melodic/catchy/emotional/dramatic/soaring in the same vein as "Another Winter In a Summer Town" (slightly less effective and affective). I do agree the rest of the score takes some..warming up to. Though I think Grey Gardens had similar issues outside many of the main stunners. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#121WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 4:29pm

qolbinau said: "ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "As someone who loves Grey Gardens, how does War Paint's score compare?

"

There is one song, Pink, that is incredibly melodic/catchy/emotional/dramatic/soaring in the same vein as "Another Winter In a Summer Town" (slightly less effective and affective). I do agree the rest of the score takes some..warming up to. Though I think Grey Gardens had similar issues outside many of the main stunners."

I agree with your thoughts on "PINK". 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#122WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 4:33pm

Obviously I am disappointed that it is not a Patti and Bernadette show, but I can honestly say that I have basically completely forgotten about this because Ebersole is so great singing that song I don't think I could imagine anyone else - kind of like how you can just never hear anyone sing "Will You?" or "Another Winter in a Summer Town" without missing her.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#123WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 4:56pm

qolbinau, I feel the same about Bernadette and "Unexpected Song". I was lucky enough to hear her sing it live about 8 years ago and was moved to tears.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#124WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 5:18pm

That's disappointing to hear about the score. I really would love to see Lupone and Ebersole live, but I don't really care about these make-up entrepreneurs and thought if the score and story was actually more interesting than the premise sounded, then it'd be worth buying a ticket or two.

Videos