pixeltracker

City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer- Page 5

City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer

JSquared2
#100City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 9:56pm

terrilovesNY said: "I am extremely disappointed and frustrated that theticket I bought during presale is now listed $30 cheaper (front row balcony) and the entire theatre pricing seems to have been restructured as I’m lookingat tickets tonight for shows during previews. I know Broadwayis a business and certainly prices could have increased after today’s announcement, I’ve just not experienced this type of pricing change in all the years I’ve attended Broadway shows. Sigh."

But if the show is a big hit, then in another month that same ticket could cost double what you paid. That’s how dynamic pricing works.

You buys your ticket, you takes your chances…

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#101City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 11:08pm

terrilovesNY said: "I am extremely disappointed and frustrated that theticket I bought during presale is now listed $30 cheaper (front row balcony) and the entire theatre pricing seems to have been restructured as I’m lookingat tickets tonight for shows during previews. I know Broadwayis a business and certainly prices could have increased after today’s announcement, I’ve just not experienced this type of pricing change in all the years I’ve attended Broadway shows. Sigh."

Buying early is always a gamble because of course there was a chance that after you buy they announce some big star as the queen and prices rise. Or there's price-sensitivity for whatever reason (lack of advertising, casting, reviews, IP's name value, etc) and then the pricing is adjusted accordingly.

I was lucky to get some MERRILY tickets during their presale, which I thought were pricy THEN! One of the people who Sonia Friedman thanked profusely yesterday during her closing curtain call is the man who handles ticket pricing and revenue management for ATG.

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 11:08 PM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#102City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/8/24 at 11:46pm

Who chooses what goes into the ATG theatres?  Is it Jordan Roth?  I understand they don’t own the Hudson either, I’m wandering who’s getting the cash 

gibsons2
#103City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 10:31am

You can easily exchange your ticket for a better one within the same price range. I believe there's an exchange fee, but still, you'll wind up in a better and closer seat. I'll be definitely exchanging my ticket from the front row balcony to dress circle. Thanks for the heads up!

Updated On: 7/9/24 at 10:31 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#104City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 10:40am

Broadway Flash said: "Who chooses what goes into the ATG theatres? Is it Jordan Roth? I understand they don’t own the Hudson either, I’m wandering who’s getting the cash"

The Hudson is owned by Millennium Hotels and operated by ATG. What do you mean “who’s getting the cash”? It’s the same as any other Broadway house. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

inception Profile Photo
inception
#105City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:35am

gibsons2 said: "
You can easily exchange your ticket for a better one within the same price range. I believe there's an exchange fee, but still, you'll wind up in a better and closer seat. I'll be definitely exchanging my ticket from the front row balcony to dress circle. Thanks for the heads up!"

Where I bought in the dress circle there's only a $2 price difference.   Still weird.

gibsons2
#106City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:39am

inception said: "gibsons2 said: "
You can easily exchange your ticket for a better one within the same price range. I believe there's an exchange fee, but still, you'll wind up in a better and closer seat. I'll be definitely exchanging my ticket from the front row balcony to dress circle. Thanks for the heads up!"

Where I bought in the dress circle there's only a $2 price difference. Still weird.
"

Yep, the same price range I'm looking at. I did the exact same exchange for The Doll's House, from the front row balcony to middle center dress circle, when they released a discount. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#107City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 12:28pm

Broadway Flash said: "Who chooses what goes into the ATG theatres? Is it Jordan Roth? I understand they don’t own the Hudson either, I’m wandering who’s getting the cash"

ATG's North American leadership team determines what goes into ATG theatres. That's Kristin Caskey (EVP, Content & Creative North America) and Nicole Kastrinos (VP, Broadway Programming, formerly a Jujamcyn employee).

Producers choose a theatre owner to work with on a specific show based on availability, size of house, and interest of the landlord. It's all a game of availability and numbers. If ATG didn't have an appropriate home for Mattress when Seaview was looking to transfer it, then Seaview would have gone to a different theatre owner.

As for where the money goes, here is a very broad explanation using rounded numbers:

• The theatre owner gets about 6-7 percent of ticket sales
  • The royalty pool (authors & key creative team) gets about 10-15 percent of ticket sales
  • Take off a few percent for credit card fees, ticketing provider fees, etc
  • The remaining money pays all the costs associated with the show, ranging from people (actors, SMs, orchestra, dressers, house staff, associates) to service providers (GM, CM, production mgmt, drycleaning, a nominal producer office fee, etc.) and weekly advertising/marketing/press budgets.
  • Any additional money after all royalties and weekly fees are paid out is profit, which goes towards paying off the investors who capitalized the production. The method of profit distribution is at the producer's discretion. Sometimes people like to pay out the first installment when they hit like 5%, sometimes they like to keep a cushion in the bank in case a show has bad weeks. That's all at the discretion of the lead producer.
  • Numbers, percentages, and revenue shares can increase for some people once the show is fully recouped.
Updated On: 7/10/24 at 12:28 PM

Broadway Flash
#108City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:48pm

Who gets the rent money, ATG or millennium 

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#109City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 8:54pm

Kad said: "Broadway Flash said: "Who chooses what goes into the ATG theatres? Is it Jordan Roth? I understand they don’t own the Hudson either, I’m wandering who’s getting the cash"

The Hudson is owned by Millennium Hotels and operated by ATG. What do you mean “who’s getting the cash”? It’s the same as any other Broadway house.
"

…you knew better Kad, than to feed the troll.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#110City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 10:30pm

Broadway Flash said: "Who gets the rent money, ATG or millennium"

ATG, as the operator.

I don't know the terms of the arrangement with Millennium, but safe to assume that they pay Millennium a flat fee, whether the house sits dark or whether there's a 3-million-dollar hit in it.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#111City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:15pm

"Who chooses what goes into the ATG theatres? Is it Jordan Roth? I understand they don’t own the Hudson either, I’m wandering who’s getting the cash"

I thought you knew?? You’re king of saying x show is going to the Hudson and we’ll have an “egg on our face” when it’s announced? 

Broadway Flash
#112City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/9/24 at 11:39pm

Excuse me sir, you don’t got the goods, I do.  You’ll see very soon.  And why doesn’t millennium just sell the theatre?  I’m sure somebody would buy it for a good chunk of change

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#113City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/10/24 at 12:03am

And are the goods in the room with us right now? Or should you just reference your past posts on…frankly anything. 

MemorableUserName
#114City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/10/24 at 12:17am

Broadway Flash said: "Excuse me sir, you don’t got the goods, I do. You’ll see very soon. And why doesn’t millennium just sell the theatre? I’m sure somebody would buy it for a good chunk of change"

Because the theatre is part of the hotel, which was built around it. Why would they sell part of the building?

hearthemsing22
#115City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/10/24 at 10:45am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Broadway Flash said: "Who chooses what goes into the ATG theatres? Is it Jordan Roth? I understand they don’t own the Hudson either, I’m wandering who’s getting the cash"

ATG's North American leadership team determines what goes into ATG theatres. That's Kristin Caskey (EVP, Content & Creative North America) and Nicole Kastrinos (VP, Broadway Programming, formerly a Jujamcyn employee).

Producers choose a theatre owner to work with on a specific showbased on availability, size of house, and interest of the landlord. It's all a game of availability and numbers. If ATG didn't have an appropriate home for Mattress when Seaview was looking to transfer it, then Seaview would have gone to a different theatre owner.

As for where the money goes, here is a very broad explanation using rounded numbers:

• The theatre owner gets about 6-7 percent of ticket sales
  • The royalty pool (authors & key creative team) gets about 10-15 percent of ticket sales
  • Take off a few percent for credit card fees, ticketing provider fees, etc
  • The remaining moneypays everyone employed by the show...actors, SMs, orchestra, dressers, house staff, associates, GM, CM, production mgmt, a nominal producer office fee, etc.
  • Any additional money after all royalties and weekly fees are paid out is profit, which goes towards paying off the investors who capitalized the production. The method of profit distribution is at the producer's discretion. Sometimes people like to pay out the first installment when they hit like 5%, sometimes they like to keep a cushion in the bank in case a show has bad weeks. That's all at the discretion of the lead producer.
  • Numbers, percentages, and revenue shares canincrease for some people once the show is fully recouped.

"

This is fascinating. Thank you for providing this breakdown! 

Iclick
#116City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/10/24 at 1:03pm

Looking forward to this cast. They all have plenty of ability to enhance this production. 
I certainly hope they re-cast Sutton's terrible wig we all had to endure at Encores. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#117City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/11/24 at 12:25pm

Kara Lindsay will once again be Sutton’s standby. 

“Rounding out the cast are Daniel BeemanWendi BergaminiCicily DanielsTaylor Marie DanielBen DavisSheldon HenryOyoyo JoiAmanda LaMotteSarah Michele LindseyMichael OlaribigbeAdam RobertsJeffrey SchecterDarius Wright, and Richard Riaz Yoder.”

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/11/24 at 12:25 PM

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#118City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/11/24 at 5:22pm

Will be going again. Lindsay will completely make this worth seeing again, Gasteyer too. 

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#119City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/11/24 at 7:57pm

I’d love to know if Sutton has any scheduled absences, I want to see Kara go on as Winnifred!

Broadway Flash
#120City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/11/24 at 8:09pm

Box office opens tomorrow with Michael urie.  First 100 people will pull a pea and get the chance to win a mattress or a free drink or merch or discounted tickets. 

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#121City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/12/24 at 10:35am

Any reports from opening day at the box office?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#122City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/16/24 at 11:01am

According to socials, this began rehearsals YESTERDAY and begins previews two weeks from tomorrow, on July 31. That's practically a summer stock schedule, and has 4 new featured principals who weren't in the Encores run.

They're also burying Ana Gasteyer on the show's website.

This is some truly bizarre producing from people who I trusted! But maybe the creative and financial results won't be impacted by any of that....

Updated On: 7/16/24 at 11:01 AM

DCS
#123City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/16/24 at 11:19am

Any insider knowledge as to whether the entire cast is also contracted to continue with the show when it moves to the Ahmanson in Los Angeles?  The run at the Hudson closes November 30th with LA performances scheduled to begin December 10th, which would seem to indicate the entire company will shift to the west coast.  Unless they plan on only taking the leads and recasting the ensemble in LA and rehearsing them while the NY production is ongoing.  Anyone know?

bigbelterbaby
#124City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
Posted: 7/17/24 at 4:35pm

I am fascinated by the quick turnaround of this show after Merrily and the quick rehearsal process. David Zinn is the set designer and especially with this being an encores transfer I am hoping for a full set design that evokes the fairytale castle vibes that the story takes place in. Hoping for the best! The costume designs they showed on Instagram looked very elegant and well constructed. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.
Updated On: 7/17/24 at 04:35 PM

Videos