pixeltracker

BKLYN matinee cancelled today....- Page 5

BKLYN matinee cancelled today....

Plum
#100re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:05am

If you're going to do a song comparison between Rent and Brooklyn, you might want to start with songs that actually have comparable functions in the score.

And even though I'm not a big Rent fan, it doesn't take a whole lot to beat out Brooklyn, lyrics-wise.

Cages or Wings
#101re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:06am

Plum I completely agree but she started the "Raven" "Rent" Comparison not me.

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#102re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:08am

Well whether I like Brooklyn or not it certainly seems like Romelda stepped up to the plate for Brooklyn and good for her (though truthfully, I disliked her in Bare - couldn't understand a word she sang).

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#103re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:08am

Well...you are right, but I don't think that it would be such a big deal. I know people on here assume that it's bad because the crtics and people on here said so...myself included. The point I was trying to make was that we are way too judgemental.

Plum
#104re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:10am

No, I assume it's bad because I have the sample CD. I presume I got it in the mail as advertising- it's exactly what the creators of the show wanted me to hear to encourage me to go. I don't think I'm being too judgemental when I judge it by that.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#105re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:14am

That opening stanza, with Goliath and David, are the most inane, senseless, talentless, horrible, forced, senseless lyrics I've ever read.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

FosseBoi
#106re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:17am

StickToPriest: That was one of the things that I thought needed to be changed. It doesnt have anything to do with the rest of the song!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#107re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:18am

This is why I say this song doesn't make sense - all those who think it does, read carefully:

Goliath was a giant..
Taught and mean
David was a sweetheart
Squeaky Clean
But it still takes two
To tell that story
So i'll play my part

*****What does this have to do with anything? Is she saying she's Goliath and David is Brooklyn? She just gets finished being a huge bitch to Brooklyn (the entire show,) and by this point you're already uninterested in her character because she's so awful and mean and obnoxious. So she's already shown everyone how heartless and cruel she is - this song tries to say that she wants the audience's pity now? *****

And in all my glory
I'll fly.. like a raven
In a sky of doves
I'll make you love, to hate me
But that's still love
It's still love

*****Is she saying she'll succeed in a world of white people? Why bring race into this, the show isn't about race at all. Race has nothing to do with the fact that she's a bitch and thinks she's more talented than Brooklyn. And in the show, there's only one white person in the show - so she's certainly not "flying" in a sky of white people. It makes no sense. You can love to hate her - which the entire audience already does by now - but according to her, it's still love. Okay, so why sing about it? It's illogical. The song doesn't make sense...I can love to shoot people, but hey, it's still love. I can love to burn houses down...but it's okay, it's still love! Completely wrong.*****

Love is what i want
Love is what i need
You see beneath this suit of armor
I still bleed
I still bleed

*****You want love, and need love - SO STOP BEING SUCH A HEARTLESS BITCH! THE AUDIENCE DOES NOT HAVE YOUR PITY, and this song is just making it worse. Beneath this suit of armor? More like, beneath this trash heap of armor. She still bleeds? What, all the sudden now, after being a raging BITCH to brooklyn, she's hurt? Please. No one buys it.*****

He used to hold me like a flower
Kiss me, oh, so slow
And we talk about forever
But that was long ago
And now forever's just a place
In someone else's story
And though my heart still breaks
I'm gonna find my glory

*****Irrelevant. Who is he? Why are you singing about someone that doesn't love you anymore at this point in the show? Forever's just a place in someone else's story? Who's story, if it's not yours? ITS MIND BOGGLING!*****

The lyricist for BROOKLYN should absolutely never work again, or if he does, he should team up with John Carrafa and they can go do a GREAT show together. It can star Jackie Mason, and they can sing illogical songs and prance around with homeless people and offend everyone in the audience. Maybe they can even have a black man play an ape.

I'm sorry that this is a very childlike rant, but there is no need for people to back up a show that merits no backing, and to say it makes sense, when there isn't one logical thing about it. It makes me crazy.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Cages or Wings
#108re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:22am

AMEN (sorry this was a pointless post yet i did it anyway)

FosseBoi
#109re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:27am

HAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS AWSOME!! I now LOVE you MUNKUSTRAP178! You are amazing!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
Updated On: 2/20/05 at 12:27 AM

andyf
#110re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:41am

Wow...I hope no one said this because I could NOT subject myself to reading all 5 pages, BUT there's also a line where Ramona comes out and says "Now this may surprise you all...but I didn't know my daddy, neither," which adds to her having to be black-ness, although I'm sure a pretty, little, white girl would be able to pull that line off just fine.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

FosseBoi
#111re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:45am

Thats pretty sterio-typical.

munkustrap178
#112re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:50am

It's pretty awful.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Gypsy2 Profile Photo
Gypsy2
#113re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 8:13am

It's awful because she's singing about a character who isn't in the show? Just because it's a show, doesn't mean it has to limit itself to singing just about the people and characters in it.

You know it and you want it... you just can't believe you've got it.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#114re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:21pm

Good for Remelda(?). That has to be scary as hell for anyone to do.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#115re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 3:35pm

Munk...wow you, well I just am ashamed that you would actually hate bklyn so much. Im sorry that you can't accept change in broadway.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

munkustrap178
#116re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 3:38pm

Accept change in Broadway? What are you talking about? It's the worst show on Broadway - I don't accept garbage on Broadway.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#117re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 3:40pm

One mans trash is another mans treasure

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#118re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 4:10pm

"It's awful because she's singing about a character who isn't in the show? Just because it's a show, doesn't mean it has to limit itself to singing just about the people and characters in it."

If we knew who "he" was it wouldn't be a problem. Is it her father that "she didnt know either" or an old boyfriend or her brother or her best friend? Who?!?

Anyway, people were saying that these lyrics were "superior" to Rent's, Munk was just showing why he didn't agree.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

ghostlight2
#119re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 4:37pm

Munk thrives on disagreement - and is quite disagreeable about it, too (besides, munk, I thought you said Good Vibrations was the worst show on Broadway).

While Brooklyn is definately not my kind of show, it does have a small but enthusiastic audience. Stop attacking people for liking shows that you don't.

Brooklyn is a show with a small cast - several cast members were already out, the understudy got sick - they got caught out. It's a very unfortunate situation. Should they have had another understudy? Not necessarily, many shows only have only one, but there should have been a standby to step in - not sure what happened there.

But these things do happen. Years ago, on Chicago, Uta Lemperer (Velma), left unexpectedly during Act 1. Her understudy, Mamie Duncan-Gibbs, was out of town. Her standby, Nancy Hess, had already been released from the theatre as the show had begun. The curtain had to be rung down for 15 mins, while Ms Hess was located & sped back to the theatre, having to start cold with "I Can't Do It Alone". She got a well deserved standing ovation. I've seen stage managers go on in smaller Broadway shows when many cast members were already out (hey, there's a reason SMs are members of Actors Equity).

Bottom line, this might have been avoidable, but there was a whole string of events leading up to this - it's live theatre - sometimes these things happen.

Videos