pixeltracker

Rosario singing - Without You- Page 5

Rosario singing - Without You

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#100the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:02pm

I think that perhaps people should be grateful that some of the original Broadway cast members are in it period! You have no clue how fortunate the film is to have theatre people in it at all and not Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears. Yes, I wish that all of the OBC was in it but that just isn't the way the cookie crumbles. Suck it up and deal with it!

I love DRV but no one seems to be bitching about the fact that other OBC members aren't in it. Gilles Chiasson, Rodney Hicks, Kristen Lee Kelly, Aiko Nakasone, Timothy Britten Parker, Gwen Stewart, Byron Utley ring any bells? Not to mention the swings and of course the obious, Fredi.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

#101the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:03pm

Ok, you are making fun of my Catherine now.....so the boxing gloves are back on. You can not sit there and tell me that Catherine was not a BRILLIANT Velma Kelly. Oh, and Chita Rivera was a better Velma than Bebe. Sorry!!!!

You do realize it was all on film? Bring Catherine Zeta-Jones to Broadway and let's see what she has, without the benefit of multiple takes, camera tricks, and dubbing.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#102the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:03pm

*catches. Tosses again*

haha.

**applauds Wonderboy** I said a lot of that earlier so I agree with you whole heartedly.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#103the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:05pm

well, here is some trivia for you. Catherine Zeta Jones was a singer/dancer on the west end before she was EVER discovered for film, so I say that she does have credentials to do what you ask. Is that enough qualification for you or is she still not a "true" musical star because she has never been on broadway for you to have seen?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

#104the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:06pm

If CZJ has legitimate credits then more power to her.

Where are Rosario's?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#105the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:08pm

Well, even if she hasn't been on bway before, so what?!? If she actually does and she sucks....then you have an argument. Until then, you have no basis for your argument because you do not know what she can do.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#106the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:10pm

CZJ was Peggy Sawyer in the West End's 42ND STREET among other shows.

Also, in Miss Dawson's defense. She has been in the film business since she was a child. KIDS anyone? Besides, she is strutting her stuff live on stage now so, who cares?

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#107the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:13pm

And if you want to me even more specific.....All of the OBC of RENT except for one or two have never been in a bway show before RENT, so right there you are saying that they should not have done the show because they did not have any experience. PISH-TOSH I say.

IveGottaBeME
#108the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:23pm

Slacker, quit your bitching and get over it. I'm the biggest Daphne fan, but I got over it. Mimi should be hot and have sex appeal, and this a freaking movie... it's ok to have one name, geezus. at least it's not beyonce. Rosario might be horrendous, but we have no idea of this yet, and I trust that the OBC wouldn't let her mess up Mimi. either way, Rosario brings in more people who know nothing about Rent, and this is good.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#109SLACKER, BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET. OVER. IT.
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:25pm

slacker is grasping at straws now.
he has no argument. he's repeating himself with absolutely no validity.
case in point: his argument about not giving Broadway performers a chance in movies.
HELLO! EARTH TO SLACKER!: Revolution and Sony are giving almost the entire ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST OF RENT a chance in this film version.
Anyway I'm taking the high road with Wax Lion because now you're just boring the sh!t outta me.
I think I have nothing more to add to this except I cannot wait for this movie to come out.
Good Night!
SLACKER, BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET. OVER. IT.

AuditioningWaitress
#110SLACKER, BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET. OVER. IT.
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:31pm

Thanks for the clip...She sounded different then I thought she would...Not that this is bad...I thought she sounded great!

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#111SLACKER, BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET. OVER. IT.
Posted: 8/17/05 at 6:31pm

Hmmm, well slacker... great job in shooting yourself in the foot over CZJ, there. Better watch that other foot when the soundtrack for RENT comes out...

"Bring Catherine Zeta-Jones to Broadway and let's see what she has, without the benefit of multiple takes, camera tricks, and dubbing." ... suddenly becomes, "If CZJ has legitimate credits then more power to her." Heh.

You amuse me.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

#112Get this straight
Posted: 8/17/05 at 8:09pm

"Well, even if she hasn't been on bway before, so what?!? If she actually does and she sucks....then you have an argument. Until then, you have no basis for your argument because you do not know what she can do."

Try to get this straight. I'm saying the OBC should be in the movie, not someone without any singing or live stage experience. I didn't say the OBC shouldn't have been in "Rent". They paid their dues and made their bones on Broadway. They deserve it. Not some over-hyped neophyte who went "on a lark" and didn't even realize there was singing involved in "Rent".

As for repeating myself, you should check out your own posts before casting that stone, Marquise.

As for shooting myself in the foot, pardon me for not being a CZJ fanatic. If CZJ has the stage experience to recteate a stage role on film then more power to her -- or anyone else who can lay claim to legitimate theater experience. I just can't understand why people who supposedly know so much about legitimate theater are so ready to gush over an unknown quantity without even cursory experience in musical theater. You do Broadway a disservice.

#113More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 8:24pm

From some people over at All That Chat who have seen "Two Gentlemen of Verona"

"Rosario Dawson is not much of a singer"

"True, Rosario Dawson is the weakest singer"

"Rosario Dawson is almost completely at sea, but she seldom has to carry a scene or song by herself, and the other principals more than take up the slack."

That's what I want to see. Someone who needs legit actors to take up their slack.

Two Gents tonight 8/16??

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#114More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 8:43pm

It's the first day. She's singing outdoors, in whatever kind of weather comes New York's way. And honestly, maybe she is floundering a bit on stage, especially with the likes of Norm Lewis, etc etc. BUT, you keep going on about how she can't do a movie musical because she hasn't done stage; this goes to show that just because she's having difficulty her very first time on stage may not mean she's going to suck in this movie. You're absolutely spinning us all in circles.

She has musical credits - she wouldn't get singing gigs if she couldn't sing. And of course she hasn't as much experience as we can say CZJ does; she's like ten years younger.

I guess my point in this that doesn't do so much to perpetuate the dizzying "I'm right, you're wrong" tactics is this - what exactly do you want to come of this, by ranting and raving about how she can't sing? You want to convince us that she can't sing, when you've not very much to base it on? What's the use?

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 8/17/05 at 08:43 PM

#115More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:07pm

Right and wrong remain to be seen. I'm forming an opinion based on what I've heard. So are you. Our opinions differ.

Add to that the double standard for theater and movie actors. This forum holds Broadway to very high standards yet drops those standards as soon as Hollywood comes to town. I refuse to accept this status quo. Give the actors who originated the role or those who played the role on Broadway the chance to put it on film for posterity. Especially when you're already filming two thirds of the original cast.

When I see "Rent" on film I want to see the OBC or cast members I saw on stage at the Nederlander. That's my opinion too. Again, yours may differ.

luvtheEmcee
#116More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:09pm

Do you understand that Daphne COULD NOT do it? For whatever reason? Can't that get through your head? It's like logic defies you, and it's just "I want I want I want." We don't always freaking get what we want. And hell, be glad you saw them on stage. I sure didn't, and I wish more than almost anything that I had.

*bangs head into wall*

I do so in defeat. I haven't the energy to go about this on nothing but pure speculation, elitism, and narrow-mindedness.

*continues slams of head*

Updated On: 8/17/05 at 09:09 PM

#117More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:18pm

So audition other Broadway Mimis. Don't give it to someone with not only no Broadway experience but no singing experience whatsoever.

Don't you get it? It's like giving someone who never played the violin a Stradivarius and sitting them down with the NY Philharmonic. This is a plum role that several Broadway actors would be able to handle very well.

luvtheEmcee
#118More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:20pm

They *did* audition other theatre actresses - from Broadway and touring companies. This is a MOVIE, *not* a Broadway show. If they were sticking her in the Broadway company, this all would make sense. But, since they aren't, it doesn't MATTER that she has no BROADWAY experience. And saying that she has "no singing experience whatsoevever" is COMPLETELY untrue. If you're going to be so absurd, at least do your research.

Updated On: 8/17/05 at 09:20 PM

#119More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:38pm

So what are her credits? Josie and the Pussycats?

I rest my case.

#120More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:40pm

PS If they did audition Broadway actors I'm certain they could have found a better Mimi. It's just another exapmle of the double standard. Hollywood is telling Broadway that anyone can do this.

luvtheEmcee
#121More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:42pm

She's also on a CD. I don't know the name of it, and I think there's more, but I'm not doing your research for you.

I'd still like to know how you insist you can be so certain.

But surely I doubt you can explain that, because it's totally unfounded.

insomniak
#122More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:53pm

Emcee, let it lie. You can't change a tiny mind.

Two cent(ences).

Rosario is in the movie. Daphne is not.

It's a fact and I have to say that it annoys me that people on this board care so much. She must have impressed someone and if this is honestly keeping you up at night, go out into the real world and understand that life is made of much more than one movie.

Go buy a ticket and see the movie, then decide how you like her. No matter what you think you know, it will be what it will be. And Wax Lion shouldn't have to spend so much time and bandwith explaining that.

Best of luck to every person involved. I'm rooting for all of you.

#123More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 10:03pm

luvtheEmcee, my opinion is as well founded as your opinion.

insomniak, ever wonder why so many of those Hollywood actors are related to other Hollywood actors? Does all of that talent just happen to run in families? No. They just know when they have it good and how to protect their jobs.

And you can see the movie if you like, I'll see something live, thanks.

Broadway is like Hollywood's ugly little sister. Broadway doesn't care how she's treated as long as Hollywood lets her hang around. And I'm small minded? Then you're asleep. Will you people ever wake up?

Updated On: 8/17/05 at 10:03 PM

luvtheEmcee
#124More on Rosario's singing
Posted: 8/17/05 at 10:04pm

Based. On. Nothing. Nothing but bitterness.

If you aren't even going to SEE the movie, why are you driving us insane over it?

Pathetiiiiic. Wake up.

Videos