Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT- Page 5

Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#100re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:56pm

"He never did rate the performance."

I NEVER SAW IT!

Why don't you rag on the other folks here who thought that Fantasia didn't live up to their standards?

Because you are a one note trumpet, that's why.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

jimnysf
#101re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:01pm

And now I hear she is missing performances! Not a good way to treat the fan girls, now is it?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#102re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:01pm

<< Once again, as I have done on so many of these Tony threads, I will take the unpopular road...I thought Fantasia was good but not great...guess I missed something. Personally, I prefer LaChanze.
>>

Sidney,

Have you seen Fantasia in "TCP" yet? As much as I loved her performance last night, you really can't get a feel for her as Celie until you see the entire performance live. Really is special. I loved LaChanze as well, but Fantasia has taken the role to a different level.

Chardonnay
#103re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:02pm

I thought she was fantastic! I'm not a huge Fantasia fan, but after that performance... I want to go see the show now! I've never had the desire, but she got my vote.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#104re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:17pm

No Testing1232, I have not seen Fantasia in the show....I was just rating what I saw on the Tonys.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#105re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:31pm

Gotcha, Sidney--- check her out in the show if you get a chance. I NEVER thought anyone could replace LaChanze, but Fantasia really exceeded my expectations !

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#106re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:48pm

I thought Fantasia's performance was one of the biggest highlights of the ceremony. She was focused, connected, in control, and she gave 110 percent. Her voice soared, and she really gave a lot of emotional power and meaning to the song.

dream on
#107re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:58pm

TheatreDiva didnt see this performance but comes into a thread about rating it - and - again- brings nothing to the table.

jimnysf
#108re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:15pm

I thought Rudy got rid of all the Fantasia's in Times Square?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

dancinfan
#109re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:49am

I saw The Color Purple on LaChanze's last day and thought she was phenomenal. I was not terribly excited by the casting of Fantasia, nor was I planning to see it again, but after her Tony night performance, I might be doing just that. At the very least, I am thrilled for her that she got to sing and act so well for the event. I was very, very moved.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#110re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:05pm

This was HILARIOUS.

Virgo and Dream on - you are completely ONE TRICK ponies.

Night707 Profile Photo
Night707
#111re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:11pm

I really enjoyed, I suppose that's because I've always liked Fantasia.

:D

TheatreDiva90016
#112re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:17pm

"TheatreDiva didnt see this performance but comes into a thread about rating it - and - again- brings nothing to the table."

Nothing that YOU want.

Give it up. You are proving the FACT that if you give an idiot enough rope, they will hang themselves.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

croft
#113re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:45am

You can see Fantasia's performance here
I can't believe she's only 22 !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0-NlqvB3sY
Updated On: 6/13/07 at 08:45 AM

Virgo
#115re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:13am

"Virgo and Dream on - you are completely ONE TRICK ponies."

Goodness gracious, I didn't even come to this thread yesterday and made only a few but that was day's ago, yet, you've found your way to yet ANOTHER Fantasia thread whom you clearly don't like to once again NOT comment on the TOPIC but to call her fans names.

you really need to grow the hell up. I'm not going anywhere so you might as well stop the fantasia thread trolling. GO else where but then again you troll all the threads here. Here's a clue if you want to get Fantasia's fans to leave the best way to do it would be to ignore them. If you constantly talk to them you are adding fuel the the fire. But that's want you want, a flame war because you are a troll. You notice nobody else does that but a few over the top fools you being one of the biggest. Many don't like her here but they don't stalk EVERY thread, they usually comment and move on or not at all.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#116re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:37am

Fantasia is only 22? Yikes. I thought she was like 28.

Though dream on claimed this is about rating the performance and not her crying, her crying was part of the performance, so it's applicable. In fact, I felt myself so distracted by the crying that it detracted from the vocal performance, as did the 3 different people I was talking to at the time. A singer should be known for her singing, not her over-the-top emotional reactions that are completely inappropriate for the occasion.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

croft
#117re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:54am

She's still very young and 3 years ago was just a teenage single mother with no prospects now she's singing at the Tony's . I expect it's an overwhelming position to be in , but given that though it was undoubtedly and emotional performance I still didn't see any crying
Updated On: 6/13/07 at 10:54 AM

dream on
#118re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:03am

Orangeskittles- I was referring to THeatrediva coming into this thread and commenting on everything but the performance- he hasnt even watched it - but commented on her crying. I didnt see her crying during the singing. She had glassy eyes. Did you listen to the lyrics of the song? It definitely is a powerful and emotional song lyrically.

I respect your opinion though - but - in the context of the show- its what makes the whole character of Celie real. It needs the emotion for people to feel what she has been through her whole life.

Virgo
#119re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:22am

I definitely didn't see any real tears during her performance. I think she just took part of her broadway act to the tony's (which is broadway) and was acting it out partly. The hand in the air at the end, part of her performance, the look of sobbing, part of her performance. If you saw the photos of her back stage, she was having the time of her life, smiling from ear to ear. That's why she's getting the rave reviews folks not only for singing but for ACTING. It is called "broadway" for a reason,right now she isn't just a "singer" she's an "actress" too.

Now, if she were just a regular recording artists and breaking out in tears after every song, especially a "happy" song, then I'd have a problem with this. But even still, regular recording artists sometimes break out tears if it is a song they've emotionally connected with.

She does look older then 22 but a lot of people in their early 20's look older then they really are. Lidnsey Lohan looks about 40 and she's only 20.

Updated On: 6/13/07 at 11:22 AM

TheatreDiva90016
#120re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:47am

Thanks for the link.

Now that I've seen her, I can say 'eh'...

I thought she was overwrought, her breathing was odd and she was a little pitchy, dawg.

And too bad she couldn't go up and double the octave on "Sing OUT" like the original.

"I definitely didn't see any real tears during her performance. I think she just took part of her broadway act to the tony's (which is broadway) and was acting it out partly.

Did we see the same performance? Now I know you have no idea what you are talking about.

So for all of the crowing about how she's Broadways next ledgend, let's see if she actually does another show, because her performance in TCP HAS gotten great reviews, but I certianly don't think it's going to be considered 'Legendary'...

Except by certian folks who will start to rag on me in 5...4....3....

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#121re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:48am

Virgo, you're definitely right about Lindsey Lohan.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#122re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:50am

"It is called "broadway" for a reason"

It's the name of a street.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#123re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:58am

Rath wins.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

peaceone
#124re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 12:08pm

Ok children now thats enough of this

Stop the insults its not going to change a thing, Fantasia sang at the Tony's did a great job by most and i'm sure the Tony's and Oprah are proud as punch.

Fantasia is only going to be in the Color Purple for a few more months, well maybe longer if the rumors are true..lol

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#125re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/13/07 at 1:45pm

Seeing as how she wasn't onstage at the Broadway Theatre, wasn't in costume and wasn't supposed to be in character (as was argued over in recent weeks- this was about celebrating the Atlanta Alliance theatre, not about promoting The Color Purple), you can't claim her crying had anything whatsoever to do with her acting.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Videos