pixeltracker

Who's been invited backstage?- Page 5

Who's been invited backstage?

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#100re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 12:44pm

Gone backstage a few times but the best was "A Streetcar Named Desire" revival at the Barrymore. My friend's cousin worked on the production so an hour before the show we went back. He was giving us the tour and then he said go through here, and we did and we were on the stage all set for the show. We got to walk around see all, but the surreal part was, as I looked out, right there in about the fifth row orchestra seats with full house lights up were the cast taking a meeting with the director. Jessica Lange was standing in the aisle talking to him, and Baldwin and cast were in seats talking. Jessica turned around and smiled and waved to us as were were up there. It was cool standing on the stage in full set with the cast down there, only to be completely reversed 45 minutes later.

ThankstoPhantom
#101re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 1:11pm

Les Miserables tour in Boston.

Fiddler on the Roof at the Minskoff. (Got to stand on stage...which was awesome)

Stage door of a few other shows.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#102re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 1:44pm

The first time I went backstage was at SpamAlot soon after it opened. I met John Bolton at the stage door, who was on as Galahad that week, and we started talking. We discussed how I was in town to tour NYU for my upcoming audition tour of BFA Musical Theater programs and he asked if I had ever been on a Broadway stage. He finished signing autographs and brought me backstage and showed me around and let me stand on the stage and explore the set. I even climbed up one of the castle towers on the porscenium. David Hyde Pierce walked across the stage while we were on it and it was pretty neat meeting him like that. I'll always remember that first time as one of the coolest moments of my young life. It was especially thrilling thinking about all the history made on that stage.

Since then I've been backstage at The Wedding Singer, Harispray, and Curtains. Curtains was especially cool, because I was shown around the entire theater. It was fascinating seeing the enormous dressing areas filled with the hundreds of costumes used in the show. Meeting Karen Ziemba in her dressing room didn't hurt either!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#103re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 3:44pm

I got to come backstage two years ago to the POTO tour. I knew David Cryer who was Firmin at the time. I got to go onstage and sang for some cast members including Gary Mauer (The Phantom at the time) it was pretty awsome.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#104re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 3:46pm

Sandra Joseph invited me backstage at Phantom after I wrote to her in 2005. Since I've conducted the Orchestra at Phantom (won it at he 2006 Flea Market/Auction) I've always been welcome back by the stage managers and the lovely cast! I pretty much know mostly everybody backstage there!

I was invited backstage by Danny Burstein at The Drowsy Chaperone! It was fun getting to go on stage there and touch the chair!

I've also been on stage at the St. James with Bill Nolte from The Producers.
Updated On: 6/22/07 at 03:46 PM

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#105re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 3:54pm

i had a standing offer to go backstage at sweeney todd .... however i never got back to new york in time to do it

.. kicking myself for a while for that.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#106re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 4:43pm

January 20, 1980 - being invited backstage by Annie's Sarah Jessica Parker. She showed my best friend and I the backstage area and also showed us her dressing room. I still have the picture of the two of us from that day.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#107re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/22/07 at 5:19pm

If you want to see backstage all you had to do is go see "The Apple Tree".

LeoBloom2
#108re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:55pm

My friend and I saw the Producers ALOT and got friendly with several cast members who tooks us backstage from time to time.

Pity it's closed.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#109re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 8/26/07 at 12:20am

"January 20, 1980 - being invited backstage by Annie's Sarah Jessica Parker. She showed my best friend and I the backstage area and also showed us her dressing room. I still have the picture of the two of us from that day."

Dottie, that's an AMAZING story.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#110re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 8/26/07 at 2:33am

I worked at the hotel Susan Egan lived in while she was doing Cabaret. She got me house seats (I still had to pay full price for them, but they were are at one of the best tables). Of course I got her flowers and sent them back to her with someone from the stage door.
After the show an usher came up to me and my date and asked us to please wait until the house had cleared and he would take us back to her dressing room.
We stayed and chatted with her for about 15-20 minutes in her dressing room. She was very gracious to us.

the show was amazing! It also had Michael Hall as the Emcee. Both of them were fantastic.

....but the world goes 'round

DG
#111re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 8/26/07 at 3:13am

Been backstage too many times to count - that's what happens when you play in the industry.

My favorite was waiting to see Eartha Kitt after TIMBUKTU. She was in full-blown 'I don't see white people mode' (not that I didn't understand her perspective) but I insisted on waiting and forcing myself into the situation. So I sat in the green room and listened to her prepare herself to be greeted by the public (which came complete with her belting out "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" in the shower.)

Finally she appeared - and yes, I was the only white person in the room - and she wasn't happy about my presense. However, she walked right up to me and looked me in the eye - which wasn't easy, as I'm about 14 inches taller than she - and asked me what I wanted.

I said I just wanted to say thank you for a lifetime of work that I admired. She was silent for a long time - a LONG time - and finally said, "You're welcome." She then turned her back, greeted the others, and I slinked out of the room.

But I accomplished my goal!

The Dark I Know Well Profile Photo
The Dark I Know Well
#112re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 8/26/07 at 11:50am

My 1st trip 2 New York,I flew over 2 see the Wedding Singer and when i met the cast at the stage door, told them i came from ireland just 2 see the show,Kevin Cahoon invited me backstage!Was abs amazin!

CHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
#113re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 8/27/07 at 3:46am

Well I'm going backstage for my first time on 8th September, after seeing Lord of the rings in London on 14th August I went to the stage door and met Laura Michelle Kelly, she asked us where we were going and we said back to Waterloo station, and she said that if we wanted to wait 2 minutes she'd go with us, so we walked back with Laura Michelle Kelly, got chating and I know have her address and phone number and the ability to go backstage at any show she's in, shame this didnt happen before the filming of Sweeney todd cause I might have blagged my way on to the set! LOL But what a connection to have!

"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French

Videos