Nudity on Broadway

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#100nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/27/16 at 8:12am

My first revelation that nudity occurred in musicals came when I was about 14 and watched the Act 1 Finale of Spring Awakening on a bootleg. I remember being grotesquely shocked when Jon Groff exposed Lea Michele's chest...it seemed so scandalous to me at the time.

Even now, onstage nudity makes me a little uncomfortable, and I would personally never do it as a performer...but I do understand its purpose and execution better.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#101nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/27/16 at 8:12am

¿Macavity? said: "dshnookie said: "In the Next Room (or The Vibrator Play)...M.Cerveris has nothing to be shy about.

"

When was there nudity? I saw a regional production and, of course, there was no nudity.

"

In the final scene, in the garden. I've never read the text so I can't say whether it specifies the level of nudity, but Cerveris took it all off. 

A couple non-Broadway examples:

In The Mystery of Love & Sex (which played at Lincoln Center two years ago), there was full front male and female nudity.

In the Atlantic Theater's revival of The Threepenny Opera, the prostitutes in Jenny's brothel appeared topless, and some wore see-through skirts that showed all.

The Metropolitan Opera's production of Salome (which is currently receiving a revival) has the soprano performing Salome get completely naked at the end of the dance of the seven veils. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

MyMeredithMonster Profile Photo
MyMeredithMonster
#102nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/27/16 at 9:29am

Unless I'm remembering this wrong, the actor playing Lucy in the 2006 Roundabout production of Threepenny Opera lifted his skirt to display full frontal male nudity mid-show.  Maybe he had hose on or something ?  It's been over 10 years, so it's hard to recall exactly.

"Yeah, Clarissa, explain it all."

theatreguy12
#103nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/27/16 at 11:40am

Who was the major Broadway actress who once said that she would never go nude because it becomes not about the character you play or the show but rather a discussion about your body.   She hit that nail on the head.  

I still think even in 2016 we Americans still get way too goofy about nudity.     Reduced to giggling teenagers over what we saw.  For me it's way too contrived, and far too gratuitous in most cases.  Meant only for audience reaction than any integral piece of the show.  

For those occasions when it's not, fine.  No biggie.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#104nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/27/16 at 11:55am

I think if you're an actor who has been nude from the onset of your career (even when you were a nobody) somehow you're seen as more serious and people don't care when you're naked. You're viewed as equally serious, naked or not (ie Julianne Moore, Fassbender, Naomi Watts, etc.) However, it you're a STAR who has never been naked and you get naked then it becomes all about the nudity and I think it can detract.

Patricia Clarkson bared her breasts in Elephant Man in a heartbreaking scene that completely negates the below sentiment that nudity hurts a show or a scene. Nudity is used well when it elevates the vulnerability of the characters in a way that heightens the audience's discomfort or empathy. Nudity is also used well in Equus.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#106nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/27/16 at 5:07pm

Didn't Lithgow appear naked in M Butterfly? Or was it another play he was in?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#107nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/27/16 at 5:14pm

SNAFU said: "Didn't Lithgow appear naked in M Butterfly? Or was it another play he was in?"

He may have, but I just recalled my first glimpse of stage nudity and it was on Broadway. I was 17 and on a High School trip. I'm pretty sure he was in "The Changing Room" by David Storey in 1973 - and I recall lots of glimpses as it was set in a locker room. 

Updated On: 12/27/16 at 05:14 PM

¿Macavity?
#109nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/28/16 at 3:25am

AC126748 said: "¿Macavity? said: "dshnookie said: "In the Next Room (or The Vibrator Play)...M.Cerveris has nothing to be shy about.

"

When was there nudity? I saw a regional production and, of course, there was no nudity.

"
In the final scene, in the garden. I've never read the text so I can't say whether it specifies the level of nudity, but Cerveris took it all

"

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

smidge
#110nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/28/16 at 7:03am

MarkBearSF said: "Not Broadway, but in the last season, there was a musical version of "Mrs. Henderson Presents" in which the major plot point was the nude tableaux which were presented. Needless to say, there was MUCH nudity onstage. (a bit from the gents too - pun intended).

Also not Broadway (off), "If There Is, I Haven't Found it Yet" at the Laura Pels theatre in 2012 in which Jake Gyllenhaal first made NY theatregoers aware of his great presence onstage.

Mark, when was there nudity in "If there is"? I seem to remember the niece in undergarments, but not totally naked.

"

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#111nudity on broadway
Posted: 12/28/16 at 7:56am

icecreambenjamin said: "^He had already seen the film, which is considerably more violent then the musical.  I wasn't super upset about the nudity, but I was concerned about how my aunt would react to knowing that I took him to see a show with it.  She's a little bit more conservative than most.

I do think it's sad that violence has become normalized, while a few curse words and the human body will get you crucified.

"

(Me, on my high horse)

but violence is only normalized for people who are exposed to it on a regular basis.   Not good to have an 8yeat old who is ok with Sweeney Todd.      

(Getting off horse now). 

Videos