pixeltracker

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival- Page 6

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#125Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:21pm

Yeah the role of Nick Arnstein is pretty much a thankless one. It's all about Streisand...Brice.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#126Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:23pm

And if we're gonna really think outside the box, Taye Diggs please.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#127Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:51pm

"A little person in the know whispered to me last night that apparently Stephanie Germanotta is indeed the one currently at the top of the producer's wish list. That is some casting that as others have already said could be potentially really exciting.

But who knows...two years away? Anything can happen."

thats unbelievable...I mentioned her name thinking she'd be ideal but never in a million years thought gaga as fanny brice would even be a possibility! How exciting that producers feel that'd shed be a perfect fit as well!!

and gaga was at nyu for at least a year, I'm not sure if it was for musical theatre or just music though.

wow...gaga on broadway...

I'll take the wind and soar.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#128Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:55pm

I do know she went to a musical theater high school but didn't know about her being a former Tisch student, that definitely gives her more credibility in terms of acting. Re-watching the "Telephone" video, I actually think her "acting" comes off better than Beyonce who sounds like she's delivering lines in just about anything she does (as much as I respect her as a musician/performer).
The idea sounds as interesting as Sandra Bernhard in the role. We'll see what comes of it, fingers crossed!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#129Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:57pm

Now THAT'S fascinating casting!

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#130Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 4:00pm

Yes, Paulo might be too under used in this show, but hey, one more experience for him in another musical is better than nothing. Nonetheless, I actually root for him to replace Kelsey Grammer in La Cage more than this(I still hope this is a possiblity).

As for Gaga, this will my first choice if only she can more strengthen her voice to bring down the house. She is a better acting talent than Beyonce! If Beyonce can do, she can do it, just that whether she will be willing to be just an actress.

Updated On: 6/9/10 at 04:00 PM

matineeidol2013
#131Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 4:04pm

some more digging shows gaga was awarded early admitance to nyu when she was 17. she dropped out half way through her sophomore year. i still cant find out if she studied music or musical theatre though...

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#132Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 4:23pm

OK, this is complete and total speculation from me but that's what happens when you announce a revival two years too early! If Lady Gaga went to a musical theater high school and possibly studied musical theater at NYU, one can imagine that for any odd-looking, talented actress/singer who wants to be famous in show business Fanny Brice must be the role to aspire to or at least to sort of look up to. It's possible she might have even wanted to play the part back in the days. Would she take the chance to play it now (in 2012)? We'll see, but it sure sounds like an exciting idea.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

matineeidol2013
#133Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 4:26pm

I agree Ray!!! Fingers crossed!!!!

PauloFanClem
#134Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 8:04pm

Actually, I find Lea Salonga also suitable.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#135Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 9:44pm

I second that...to Lea Salonga!

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

PauloFanClem
#136Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 9:52pm

Oh my goodness! If this is going to happen, I will be so proud to be an Asian. This will be the first time when an Asia set foot in a legendary Caucasian role, basically the star!

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#137Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 10:13pm

For Arnstein, I'd like to see Tony Yazbeck, or maybe Matthew Risch.

Oh, and Ana Gasteyer for Mrs. Brice.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Updated On: 6/9/10 at 10:13 PM

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#138Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 10:50pm

Allow me to cast another vote for Menzel.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#139Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 10:54pm

Are you guys crazy? Gasteyer and Menzel (aside from neither being capable) are WAY TOO OLD. How depressing would a revival of FUNNY GIRL be where our Fanny is middle aged? Get a clue, you obviously don't know the show.

As for Gaga, she didn't go to a performing arts high school, but she DID participate in at least a couple of their musicals, one of which was GUYS AND DOLLS and she played Adelaide. She's got the talent, drive, and chops to make it happen.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#140Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 10:59pm

I do know the show; I like Menzel, think she's right for it, and she looks younger than she is. And I'm not sure if you're aware, but you, munk, have a very large, unattractive stick shoved up your ass that you might want to remove.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#141Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:05pm

I ain't in the mood to start another race discussion here but Fanny is white, she'll be played by a white woman. It's a real person we're talking about not a fictional one. That's just the way it is.

munkustrap178
#142Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:13pm

Menzel does look younger than she really is, but she doesn't look like she's in her early 20's, which is the age Fanny needs to be in the beginning. It would be foolish.

That would be like me saying "Well, Christine Ebersole looks great for her age, and I really like her, so she could do it."

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#143Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:17pm

"Gasteyer and Menzel (aside from neither being capable) are WAY TOO OLD. How depressing would a revival of FUNNY GIRL be where our Fanny is middle aged? Get a clue, you obviously don't know the show."

I suggested Gasteyer for Mrs. Brice, Fanny's mother.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

PauloFanClem
#144Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:21pm

Be careful, Jordan. I once said the same thing about George in Sunday on this board, and got attacked. Well, of course it will be better to cast a Caucasian, but if one has the looks, has the voice, and it's capable to act the role out, we should see through the colour.

P.S. I've convinced myself to think like this over the years.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#145Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:24pm

That's fine but not when we're talking about real people. I've expressed my problem with that for a long time here so it's no surprise. But it doesn't matter because it will never happen. Fanny is a Jewish girl from Brooklyn. And that's spelled W-H-I-T-E. And why shouldn't she be played by a white girl?

matineeidol2013
#146Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:24pm

"Anyone who was in that band at that moment can tell you about the effect she had on us from below, literally and figuratively speaking -- the way she entranced us, distracted us, made "Take Back Your Mink" impossible to play. For minutes at a time, we abandonded the conceit that we were performing rather than watching. And she wasn't just appealing to a 14-year-old's desperation -- she was a pitch-perfect Adelaide, fully embodying the high pitched hysteria of Vivian Blaine in the film version. In our senior year, we were still talking about her."

get it gaga.

PauloFanClem
#147Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:38pm

God! I'm now SO rooted for Gaga! Even though I know it's fat chance, but let's just dream about it for a period...

munkustrap178
#148Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:47pm

Ah...well, for Mrs. Brice, there are better choices than Gasteyer. She's too young.

Victoria Clark is a good choice, as would be Judy Kaye.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#149Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/9/10 at 11:52pm

Lady Gaga was indeed a musical theater major for her two years at NYU. She started taking acting classes in 8th grade. She details some of it in the interview with New York Magazine a while back.

which you can read here

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Videos