gypsy4
#125KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 12:41am

what about Ashley Brown as Anna?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#126KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 1:40am

I cannot even begin to imagine how gorgeous a set design by Michael Yeargan would be in the Beaumont for this production...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#127KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 9:39am

Ray-Anthony, I think Ambrose as Anna is a lovely idea as well. And count me among those who was solidly in her corner on Funny Girl.

Updated On: 12/31/11 at 09:39 AM

henrikegerman
#128KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 10:09am

Ray-Anthony, I think Ambrose as Anna is a lovely idea as well. And count me among those who was solidly in her corner on Funny Girl.

Pal Joey, I think race does matter in the casting of Mrs. Anna. The particular historical epoch, the clash of cultures and the leads' debates about their world, the threat of and interest of English influence on the court of Siam, the undercurrents of colonialism. It might be a fine thing for a black Anna to represent English liberalism and be anti-slavery. But it might come off as a very phony thing for Anna to represent an England that would appear to be sending a woman of African descent to teach the children of the King and be a proxy for her majesty's government at the court. As prematurely progressive as it would be had Anna been an African American woman sent there by Lincoln himself before Reconstruction.

It is not about race-neutral casting in general. These concerns are about race-neutral casting in a particular work in which race matters.

Updated On: 12/31/11 at 10:09 AM

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#129KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 11:46am

I still think Audra is the most compelling choice. Followed by Kate Baldwin then Laura Benanti.

I've seen BD Wong do some amazing song interpretations before and it would make me very happy to see him on stage again, but I don't know if he has that commanding and powerful presence needed for the King. Similarly if you compare his performance in Pacific Overtures with Mako's original, I think Wong was lacking power.

Dubliner
#130KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 1:06pm

I saw Elaine Paige at the Palladium and thought her performance was a bit hammy - she played to the audience almost like panto - (Jason Scott Lee had left and the King was pleasant but week which may have made it very difficult for her). But my goodness her signing performance of the score was magnificent and rather unexpected given she's not a soprano.

I'd love to see Laura Michelle Kelly or Laura Osnes in this. I also think given that Audra McDonald has been so distinguished as both Julie and Carrie that she should be let be Mrs. Anna. Audiences will willingly be convinced that the character is a white englishwoman without her having to look white. If the Siamese court are all oriental there will still be the contrast needed for the plot to work. I think race will have to be made increasingly irrelevant in classic musical theatre such as Rodgers and Hammerstein to allow the best interpreters to tackle the roles much as has already happened in opera.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#131KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 1:16pm

Other than Lauren Ambrose, Laura Michelle Kelly is far and away the best idea in this thread. She would be absolutely remarkable as Anna. Now that she's done two shows on Broadway, I'm hoping she works here in New York more and more.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 12/31/11 at 01:16 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#132KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 1:51pm

I like Audra McDonald, and I wouldn't mind seeing her in the role, but regardless of race she just isn't my top choice to play the role.
Yes, Laura Michelle Kelly would be wonderful but she sounds like too obvious of a choice after MARY POPPINS. Wouldn't she want to stretch those acting muscles a little more? And believe me I know the role of Mary Poppins is very different from the role of Anna, but I rather see her play a completely different role like say Reeno Sweeney in the current production of ANYTHING GOES.
I much prefer the out-of-box casting idea of Lauren Ambrose, but that's just because I think that type of casting often creates the most surprising and exciting turns (see Sutton Foster in ANYTHING GOES, for example).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#133KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 12/31/11 at 3:12pm

I'm still very attached to the idea of Kate Baldwin as Anna, I think she'd be lovely. I think Kelli O'Hara is the obvious choice given that it's Sher and Lincoln Center and I think she'd be good, but I'd rather someone like Baldwin or Laura Benanti play the role. Laura Michelle Kelly is also a great choice, she was a fantastic Mary Poppins and her voice is glorious, I'd love to hear her sing this score.

Frank thebellhop Profile Photo
Frank thebellhop
#134KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/1/12 at 12:09pm

What about Vicky Clark? Maybe not a revolutionary idea but she would certainly perform the hell out of it. And Telly Leung for Lun Tha maybe?

Musicaldudepeter
#135KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/1/12 at 12:14pm

I think Victoria Clark, Kelli O'Hara or even Rachel Weisz would be great.

gabrieljwickedone Profile Photo
gabrieljwickedone
#136KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/1/12 at 3:06pm

Someone mentioned how great the set design would be.

Am I the only one who would like to see something besides bathing the stage in red and gold?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#137KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/1/12 at 3:55pm

It's a shame Victoria Clark wasn't big enough of a name to replace Donna Murphy in the '96 production (curiously enough, she understudied Murphy's eventual replacement, Faith Prince in GUYS & DOLLS and by all accounts was terrific as Miss Adelaide). I imagine she'd have been as fantastic as Murphy in a completely different way. By now, I believe she's too old to play the mother of a young child; but just like it was great seeing Reba tackle Nellie in the concert production of SOUTH PACIFIC, I'd love to see Clark tackle the role in a concert production of THE KING & I.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

random person 112
#138KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/1/12 at 4:41pm

Rachel York maybe, the show is so famous it dosn't really need a name for anna.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#139KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/1/12 at 5:00pm

Stephanie Powers!

henrikegerman
#140KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/1/12 at 10:33pm

Wow, does Rachel Weisz sing? Assuming she does, it's an enchanting idea.

Musicaldudepeter
#141KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/1/12 at 11:58pm

I would imagine Weisz does sing. Yes, I can totally picture her can't you? Dark features, stellar acting. I don't feel Anna is a massive sing, so Weisz would act the **** out of it.

henrikegerman
#142KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/2/12 at 8:56am

I can totally picture Rachel Weisz as a brilliant, convincingly maternal and very polished Anna. Warm, elegant, radiant, and terrifically engaging. And, yes, I see her as a dark haired lovely vision of an Anna as well.

Emma Thompson might be a very different but equally perfect choice. Musical theater experience, huge draw, and extremely interesting fit for the role.

Updated On: 1/2/12 at 08:56 AM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#143KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/2/12 at 10:27am

I think I'd be more interested in seeing Emma Thompson play Anna in a non-musical adaptation.

I stand by Kate Baldwin as my dream Anna, although I'm sure Laura Benanti and some of the other ladies suggested would be great.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#144KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/2/12 at 10:27am

I think I'd be more interested in seeing Emma Thompson play Anna in a non-musical adaptation.

I stand by Kate Baldwin as my dream Anna, although I'm sure Laura Benanti and some of the other ladies suggested would be great.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Musicaldudepeter
#145KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/2/12 at 11:31am

I think Laura Benanti is too modern for it I'm afraid. can't get to grips with picturing her at all in the role.

broadwayguy2
#146KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/2/12 at 1:36pm

Jessica Grove.

Jon
#147KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/2/12 at 2:21pm

How about Rebecca Luker?

gabrieljwickedone Profile Photo
gabrieljwickedone
#148KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/3/12 at 1:39am

Nah...Rebecca Luker doesn't seem good for it. I think she's just to bland for my taste.

I still prefer Kelli O'Hara

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#149KING AND I Revival a possibility
Posted: 1/3/12 at 1:44am

I think Laura Benanti is too modern for it I'm afraid. can't get to grips with picturing her at all in the role.

Laura was supposedly an excellent Maria in the SOUND OF MUSIC revival. I doubt she'd have a problem playing another period role.

Videos