pixeltracker

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway- Page 6

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

peerrjb
#125Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 9:49pm

December 1971. Original production of "Follies" (sitting in free house seats, no less!). Not a bad way to start Broadway. Got to go backstage to meet and chat with Dorothy Collins -- who had a cold, though you'd never have known it from out front; and with Marti Rolph (who then sang production-auditions of a show of mine for the next two weeks), and the wonderful Harvey Evans. AND their Production Stage Manager, the late Fritz Holt. Amazing guy, he. A pretty stunning evening for a 21-year-old.

Dennis-in-ct Profile Photo
Dennis-in-ct
#126Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:03pm

Doing Henning's The Magic Show in 1975 or 1976.

I was picked to go up on stage and check the trunk and handcuffs before the trick. I was so excited to get on stage with him. I was around 10 and taking "magic" lessons at a local magic shop. Yes - there used to be magic shops.

Next was Frank Langella in Dracula followed by the Fantastics and Grease in 1978.
Updated On: 5/27/11 at 10:03 PM

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#127Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:11pm

These shared memories get more amazing every time I return!

The FOLLIES and MAGIC SHOW stories are fabulous!

and to Scotts, I was lucky to see SWEENEY TODD four times in its month-long preview period and four more times during the run (with both Lansbury and Loudon). An indelible experience.

PS--I too saw the original FOLLIES, but sadly my experience was not nearly as rewarding.

lstbutifulgrl2
#128Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:13pm

The Secret Garden with Mandy Patinkin, I think I was 8 years old or so.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#129Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:27pm

Wasn't it wonderful? I very much loved THE SECRET GARDEN and the entire cast!

redmustang
#130Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:15pm

My first Broadway show was Chicago with Verdon, Rivera, and Orbach. Years later when I saw Nine with Chita, I worked by way through the mob at the stage door and she signed my program thinking it was fron Nine. When she handed it back to me, I showed her it was from Chicago. She got a huge smile on her face, grabbed it back and kissed above her autograph. What a moment.

EvelynOakleigh
#131Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:43pm

42nd St. in November of 2003 (i think)
I think I saw it with Beth Level

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#132Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 10:29am

Baker Street, 1965

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#133Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 10:55am

Hey Huey, tell your pop I'd love to hear more about his memories of BAKER STREET. As I recall it has a rather dull score, but I think the show had very high production values, yes?

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#134Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 11:50am

FALSETTOS at the John Golden theatre in 1992.

I still have the ticket stub and the Playbill. My seat in row B of the rear mezzanine was $47.50.

On that same visit to NY I also saw Miss Saigon.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
Updated On: 5/28/11 at 11:50 AM

PennybankBill Profile Photo
PennybankBill
#135Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 12:16pm

On what might be my last trip to New York, LOVEMUSIK.

dreamerjj Profile Photo
dreamerjj
#136Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 1:12pm

Wicked, back in December 2005, w/ Shoshana Bean as Elphaba, Megan Hilty as Glinda and Rue McClanahan as Mme Morrible.

DirectorGP
#137Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 2:01pm

42nd Street 1980 the week after it opened and Gower Champion passed away. It was a hot hot ticket then!

MermansMan Profile Photo
MermansMan
#138Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 4:33pm

My first was the '95 revival of Dolly with Carol Channing at the Lunt-Fonanne. I was 9. It was a Friday night performance in December. Tickets were an early Christmas present from my God-Parents. Next afternoon, we saw Phantom, that night we saw Sunset Boulevard... One of the Best weekends of my life! <3

"We'll serve anyone, meaning Anyone and to ANYONE at all!"

broadwaybabywannabe Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe
#139Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 5:36pm

COMPANY...the Summer of 1970...with all the original cast, and LARRY KURT as Bobbie...and i ended up 2nd-acting it, 10 times after i saw it completely...:)

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#140Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/28/11 at 5:45pm

Rent, sadly no original cast, then two days later, The Producers, front row, sadly, no original cast then either, but I was so happy to be seeing Broadway shows that I didn't care!!

OhTossums2 Profile Photo
OhTossums2
#141Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/11 at 9:49am

Beauty and The Beast in 2002, I was in the fourth grade and I fell in love.

Jealous? I ain't jealous. I can take on these fellas whateva.

sjewell88
#142Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/11 at 4:45pm

duh duh duh duh duh duhna dah duh! The original " A Chorus Line" in 1990

jawjuhh
#143Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/11 at 5:00pm

Aida, although I haven't the foggiest when. I believe it was with the OBC but I was like, 9, when I saw it so I don't really know. I do remember singing "How I Know You" on repeat for the rest of the day though

Rockyfan2000 Profile Photo
Rockyfan2000
#144Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/11 at 5:21pm

"Starlight Express" Gershwin Theater in 1987.

"It's not where you start, it's where you finish!"

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#145Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/9/11 at 5:40pm

Nov 1, 1977 THE KING AND I with Yul Brynner & Constance Towers. I had just arrived in NYC that morning and had no show booked for this Tuesday evening so went to teh Uris Theater box office and bought a seat Row J, Centre orchetrsa. Later when RCA released the cast album I discovered that the day before (Oct 31) they had been in studio making the album.

Also that trip saw Liza Minnelli in THE ACT, the original casts of ANNIE and I LOVE MY WIFE. Others shows: A CHORUS LINE, THE MAGIC SHOW and the flop 10th anniversary revival of HAIR. (Cast members told us they were closing the next day - Sunday.)

And yes, I saved my playbills and most ticket stubs. Sadly the stub for THE ACT has been lost.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#146Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/9/11 at 5:53pm

My first was when i was 13.

The Cabaret revival with Natasha Richardson and Alan Cumming when it was at the Henry Miller. I will never forget that production.

My Second was Beauty and the Beast with Toni Braxton then Seussical with Aaron Carter. ( Both School trips where I had nothing to say about what shows we saw!!) I try and forget about those experiences.
Updated On: 6/9/11 at 05:53 PM

BellatrixxLestrangee Profile Photo
BellatrixxLestrangee
#147Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/9/11 at 5:56pm

January 2010- My Dad surprised me with Wicked tickets for my 17th Birthday. I've been in love with Broadway ever since.

You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for? -BP.

kbritt789
#148Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/9/11 at 6:08pm

"Mamma Mia!" in March of 2002- I was 12. Later on in the week my parents took me to see the revival of "Oklahoma!"

Apparently it was the trip of seeing shows whose titles ended in exclamation points...(!)
Updated On: 6/9/11 at 06:08 PM

whatsername
#149Name 1he 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 6/9/11 at 9:13pm

American Idiot :)
best sweet 16 ever!!1

Videos