perfectliar
#125GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 9:03pm

ZellMorrowsPledge said: "Anybody have any pictures of the merch?"

https://twitter.com/Groundhogdaybwy/status/842524480916328449

JustAnotherNewYorker
#126GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 9:18pm

QueenAlice said: "...As others have said they could cut 15 minutes easily with superfluous  character songs"

I personally really loved the Nancy song. That, plus a few other songs, really have Tim Minchin's fingerprints on it...

Updated On: 3/18/17 at 09:18 PM

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#127GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 9:34pm

qolbinau said: "The sales for this look TERRIBLE..in a season with so many great shows happening, most of which seem to be doing just fine at the moment (surprising: who would have thought WAR PAINT or COME FROM AWAY would have a strong start) - is Groundhog Day going to be (surprisingly) that doesn't make it? 

"

I don't see why that would surprise anyone... it has very little buzz... as in... no one brings up this show when asked what they are dying to see...

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#128GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 9:46pm

There was a five to ten minute tech hold in the first act during the sequence when Phil is just not caring and doing what he wants. 

After the hold, the show ran smoothly to end of act. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/18/17 at 09:46 PM

Boston Friend
#129GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 11:55pm

I saw tonight's show. There was a small technical interruption near the end of first act. Only lasted 5 minutes. 

Crowd we seemed to go crazy for show. Big sustained applause at the end. 

MadonnaMusical
#130GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 12:17am

I was at the show tonight. I really wanted to hate this show based on the first 20 minutes... but I ended up falling in love with it. I have so many things to say:

spoiler alert!!!

1. I'm not a fan of Tim Minchin... his slant rhymes were driving me crazy all night... and the score, though serviceable was not memorable to me. 

2. I agree with the posters who think the show is chauvinistic. Phil definitely comes off as too 'Rape-y' in act one. They should tone down / cut the sexual assault. There are three or four moments that could be triggers for people.

3. Phil definitely needs an "I want" song, but he doesn't even know that he is missing something in his life yet... so that would be complicated... his I want song should show us that in some way. It would have to be an "UN-I-want-song"... but it would help tremendously. Instead... Rita gets the song... which is not effective.

4. Act one should really end with his first suicide attempt. Act two should begin with the suicide song... cut "Nancy" it was cute... but did little to forward the plot... and act two is just too long... The nancy moment would work as an extended solo moment during the long sequence where everyone in the ensemble reveals their inner thoughts.

5. Since people are complaining about the length (almost 3 hours)... ... make all the repeated dialogue shorter... Many of the same lines are repeated over and over throughout the show... you could speed up the show if the lines were shorter. 

6. Fantastic staging and lights and set and cast!!!! Really fantastic work by the entire creative team. This is a VERY impressive show. REALLY impressive to watch. 

7. Some have complained that the characters were cartoonish. I agree, but I think they were written this way on purpose... because that's how Phil sees them... which makes it that much more powerful when we realize they are actual humans. I cried when it was revealed that Ned's wife had passed away. 

8. I must see it again... Hoping that they make changes though... and also for the record it should be known that I ADORE problem pieces. Loved American Psycho and Women on the Verge and wish I could work on the rewrites.

Updated On: 3/19/17 at 12:17 AM

MadonnaMusical
#131GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 1:13am

QueenAlice said: "Barrett Doss is lovely. She reminds me of a young Audra McDonald. There is no way she is getting a Best Actress nomination for this. Sorry.

"

ditto! She reminded me so much of Audra... but then I got distracted thinking of how amazing Audra would have been. :/ 

dave1606
#132GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 1:13am

I was there tonight and absolutely loved it. I'm a bit surprised about how negative the second preview's reactions were. Creatively this show is more ambitious than nearly anything out this season (maybe this and The Great Comet are comparable). I think Matthew Warchus is a genius, and what he does here is truly magic. There are things happening in the August Wilson that I have NEVER seen onstage before. I also loved Tim Minchin's score and I think it may wind up being one of my favorite new scores of the season. 

This is not another movie adaption. I saw A Bronx Tale for the first time this afternoon and kept thinking about these two shows, both movie adaptations on how different they were. One seems perfectly fine being middle of the road while the other continually strives (and doesn't always reach) for something higher.

Groundhog Day is not a perfect show. It needs at least 15-20 minutes (maybe more) cut out of it. I agree that we spend far too long with Phil being a jerk/downright creepy. You could easily cut down the leadup to his dates with Rita and save some time. 

I was also had an issue with Nancy's opening number. I wasn't sure how it worked in the context of the show. If no one else is remembering what is going on why is she singing out her issues as a one night stand? Or if the show is going Meta why did no one else? Feminist commentary or not I think it is out of place. I think it broke the flow of the show.

Just a note of praise to Andy Karl. I think he continually gets more charismatic with each role. He is such a likeable lead that even when Phil is a dick, we still somehow like him. He is absolutely terrific in this show.

I totally agree with whoever mentioned that Barrett Doss sounded like a young Audra! I thought she was wonderful in this show. She's got a great voice and does a nice job in the role.

Overall, I don't want too much about the show because it really should be experienced. The staging is full of so many wonderful surprises and the audience really enjoyed each one. 

For those asking my rush seats were extreme orchestra row F all the way to the right 18 and 16. They were not marked partial view. If I was paying, I would say that Front Mezz would be the perfect place to see the show, but for $39.50 the rush is a great value. I got there around 8:30am and was second in line. Most people seemed to start coming around 8:50am.

I also stage-doored and it seemed everyone came out, and Andy Karl, Rebecca Faulkenberry and Barrett Doss couldn't be nicer. 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#133GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 1:36am

I went into this not sure what to think and I had never seen the movie so the source material wasn't something I was familiar with. The show needs some trimming and cutting, but ultimately I really enjoyed the show and  Andy Karl and Barrett Doss are so charming and deliver fantastic performances and lead a really wonderful ensemble. 

There was the tech hold I mentioned above and intermission definitely felt a little longer than intended, but the show ran smoothly despite it. 

As others have said, some cuts and trims need to be made - I personally volunteer the song with the two truckers - even if the car sequence following it is hysterical. The audience ate the show up tonight, and the cast was definitely loving the ride. 

Andy Karl is an absolute star and I am so glad to see him getting to play a lead role that appeals to all of his strengths and allow him to be charming, funny, and have depth all at once. Also, he's definitely easy on the eyes, too. Barrett Doss is making a heck of a leading role Broadway debut and has a gorgeous voice - her fairy tale song in Act One was gorgeous and she belted the hell out of her second act solo. The ensemble is full of talented Broadway vets and all play very hilarious and pronounced characters. 

I definitely will be going back once the show opens to see how everything has panned out, but I definitely didn't expect to get choked up by the end when Phil does connect with the town and Rita. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/19/17 at 01:36 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#134GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 5:32am

dave1606 said: "For those asking my rush seats were extreme orchestra row F all the way to the right 18 and 16. They were not marked partial view. If I was paying, I would say that Front Mezz would be the perfect place to see the show, but for $39.50 the rush is a great value. I got there around 8:30am and was second in line. Most people seemed to start coming around 8:50am."

It seemed like the front row was available for lottery losers. Just wondering if the stage is pretty high or something?

MadonnaMusical
#135GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 6:40am

haterobics said: "dave1606 said: "For those asking my rush seats were extreme orchestra row F all the way to the right 18 and 16. They were not marked partial view. If I was paying, I would say that Front Mezz would be the perfect place to see the show, but for $39.50 the rush is a great value. I got there around 8:30am and was second in line. Most people seemed to start coming around 8:50am."

It seemed like the front row was available for lottery losers. Just wondering if the stage is pretty high or something?

"

yes it is

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#136GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 6:43am

MadonnaMusical said: "yes it is"

Thanks, I'm looking forward to this one, since I adore the source material, and rather pay more to see it properly, especially if the doomsayers here are right about its longevity potential. GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

showscpt
#137GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 12:26pm

Saw last nights preview - beyond excruciating. If you want to be stuck watching a never ending repeat of a second rate show that should never have made it to the stage - Groundhog Day is for you. Mindless drivel. Save your money ... this show is going to have a very short life on Broadway.

Jakeevan942
#138GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 3:01pm

I had the luxury of seeing the first preview on Thursday and then coming back for performance 1A, as the production is referring to it, on Friday.

There will probably be some spoilers below.

I think what went on on Thursday may have been one of the most spectacular evenings at the theater I have ever had. The production came together to put on an incredible performance, in light o the circumstances, which I found out Friday were caused by 1 broken caster in one of the revolves. Though many are crediting Jujamcyn with the incredible treatment on Friday, the credit really goes to the producers. Since Rudin pulled out of the production, Warchus, Minchin, and a few of the other creatives are producing the show themselves, breaking the Bialystock rule of "Never Put Your Own Money in the Show." They were doing some incredible service recovery on Thursday, costing themselves tons of money to try and ensure that there was good buzz after the issues.

I really enjoyed the show. I agree with just about every piece of criticism that has been addressed in this thread thus far. You can't go into an adaptation of a quirky comedy film expecting the next Hamilton. You have to go into a piece like this expecting to laugh a bunch and enjoy the show, which I wholeheartedly did. Some of the stage craft, like the car chase sequence and the illusions near the top of Act 2, are among the most impressive moments I have seen on the Broadway stage. After seeing the sung-through version, it was incredible to see the visuals that went with things like the car chase, which seemed like a long music break until you added the black lights, turntables and puppets to the mix.

The show can definitely use to lose about 20 minutes. The plan of the production, per a friend who is working on the show, is to find 10 minutes to cut of actual content, and try to get the intermission down to 15 minutes-It's running at about 25 minutes at this point because of the complexity of the scenic changeover that needs to happen set up for act 2. Though the medical number in Act 1 and Nancy's Song in Act 2 are probably the least necessary to the plot, they have the most of Tim's style in them, and aren't likely to get cut. The show actually only runs 2:15 plus the intermission.

I know there are a number of comparisons to American Psycho. This has a lot more going for it than Psycho did-It has already run in a similar sized theater, and is up for a bunch of Awards in London right now-Andy is likely to pick up an Olivier a week before the show opens on Broadway. Psycho came form a 350 seat fringe theater, got mixed reviews, and no real award buzz. I really want this one to succeed. It is such a tough season since there have been so many really strong new musicals this year.

A word about seating. Thursday night I was in the 4th row of the mezz, house right, perfect view for the 16 minutes of the show we actually saw. When the codes came out for replacing tickets, I jumped at a pair of Row H center orchestra seats, on the aisle, presumably unsold house seats, which provided an incredible view, since I knew what to expect for the show. It might be tough to take in the whole of the production sitting the orchestra on the first viewing-There is a whole lot going on pretty much all the time. I wouldn't sit much closer than I was, as the show deck is really high off the stage to accommodate the mechanics of the 5 turntables that drive the action of the show.

As for merch, 1 t-shirt, hoodie, 2 magnets, 2 keychains, 1 button, mug, and window card.

And yes, they are working on a stuffed groundhog for the merchandise stand.

neonlightsxo
#139GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/20/17 at 9:09am

Sounds like they've done no rewrites since London, then.

Jakeevan942
#140GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/20/17 at 8:06pm

I found an audio of the closing show in London, and it is, note for note, the same show at this point.

Merch update: Not sure if they are in the theater tonight, but the stuffed groundhog came in, should be at the merch booth shortly.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#141GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 12:04am

Saw this again tonight after attending the first preview. 

Overall, I think it's a lovely show with some of the best staging I've seen in recent years (save for Great Comet). The music is beautiful, if not misguided at times. 

It is very apparent to me that the creative team knew exactly where they wanted to go and what they wanted to do once Phil was sufficiently trapped in the cycle (Act One finale - onwards). I think this chunk of the show is by far the most successful, and achieves in showing Phil's progression in the loop with pure, theatrical bliss.

The remainder of the first act, on the other hand, drags and has no idea what kind of pace it wants to tread. My suggestions would be to cut all parts of the "Stuck" song/scenes, and trim nearly every book scene leaving only what is crucial to telling the story. Act 1 came down at 9:25, Act 2 began at 9:45, and the show let out a little after 10:45. If they could get Act 1 down to an hour and five minutes, and get the intermission down to 15 minutes, it'll be a really wonderful evening.

I'd be absolutely devastated if they cut, "Playing Nancy," which I actually find to be my favorite song in the show. It is the perfect segway into the lunacy of "Hope," although it needs a better introduction. 

In terms of Groundhog Day's place in the Tonys, Barrett may have a shot at a nomination if Patti and Christine fall through, like I imagine they may. Andy has got to be a lock, and is the only real competition against Ben. Unless Anastasia arrives surpassing expectations, I'd love to see this nominated for Best Musical behind Great Comet and Come From Away. It's a shame Tim won't win the Tony he was robbed of for Matilda, but glad his music is back on Broadway.

Updated On: 3/21/17 at 12:04 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#142GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 12:14am

I was there this evening and ultimately I was very moved by this musical. I thought the second act was extremely strong and I really, really, really loved Andy Karl. He is to Groundhog Day what Idina was to If/Then. One of my friends said afterwards that Andy was better than the material, but I think the material was successful because of Andy. Now that Jake is out of the running (and quite frankly even if he were still eligible), my vote for Best Actor would go to Andy Karl. 

What surprised me most about act two was how emotional and invested I became after being a little detached from the piece in act one. I think there are two general problems with act one: it needs to be funnier (read more belly laughs, not light chuckles) and Andy needs a big number. He is given several nice solos in act one, but goes all the through act one without a standalone song. Ideally they should turn the opening number, which is a big production lead by Andy and quickly taken over by the townspeople, into more of a showy number for our leading man. 

Act two had my three favorite numbers, "Hope" (hysterical), "Philanthropy" (a showstopper) and "If I Had My Time Again" (a nice duet for Rita and Phil). The show goes all gooey when it realizes it wants to be more of A Christmas Carol meets It's a Wonderful Life, but the emotions feel earned and genuine. 

The score had to grow on me a bit- there are highlights, but it doesn't match the cohesive wonder that was Matilda, nor does it have the wild humor so often on display in Minchin's solo shows. It almost takes until the sprawling act one finale, "One Day" for it truly find a groove. I immensely enjoyed Barrett Doss' voice during this section; this is her musical Broadway debut and I was charmed. 

Groundhog Day has its flaws, but there's also a lot to admire, including its ambitious nature. It's no easy task to score a story that repeats the same day over and over again. 

Warchus is going to receive much praise for his staging, and deservedly so, but tonight was all about the true talent of Andy Karl and his ability to carry a show. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

sondmon
#143GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 12:39am

I was there this evening as well and echo alot of what others are saying. Act 1 had very little direction and I had no idea what it was trying to do. By Act 2 I was definitely more invested and the show was more enjoyable and moved more quickly. 

My main issues were that it kind of felt like a play with music rather than a musical. The music did very little to advance the plot in my opinion. Karl was amazing but most of his scenes were book scenses taken straight from the movie. His only real number was the closing number which was great. I definitely enjoyed the night but there are definitely some issues.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#144GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 12:58am

I had the great privilege of seeing ANDY KARL's return to Broadway... and what a return it is...

I know I get flack for my love of him; however MR. KARL and ROCKY helped me and my husband get through his battle with cancer last year... so understandably I get very emotional talking about him...

In any case I think this is his best performance by far... he's equally strong here as he was in LONDON..

MR. KARL is a true Broadway star and he sells the show with incredible comedic timing, and later in act 2, emotional depth... and DAMN those legs!!! He look damn good, he ain't lost it :)

I wish there was a chance for him to win the TONY because this is SUCH a challenging performance, one that requires way more depth and skill as an actor than you might imagine...You almost take his ability to shift from smarmy to likable and ultimately sympathetic for granted because he does it with such ease and comedic skill...I was blown away by him again and I cannot wait to go back... I love him I love him I love him!

With the exception of the new cast I can't quite think of what has changed since the LONDON production... nothing I think? I looooved the new RITA; what a vast improvement from across the pond!!

It's a long show but doesn't feel long... It could be trimmed here and there though. 

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#145GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:03am

Whizzer hello... it makes me so happy that you'd vote for ANDY KARL too... maybe it's possible for an upset?? I mean he can't beat BEN PLATT but ugh it would be so damn cool... :)

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

The_Spielers_2017
#146GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:12am

To echo what some previous posters have said: 

I was ALSO there tonight, and loved the show. No, love isn't quite strong enough. This was easily my favorite night of theatre I've had this season, and quite possibly the last couple seasons. Yes, the show is not perfect BUT ITS SO F*CKING CLOSE TO BEING A MASTERPIECE you cannot help but love it despite/ because of its flaws. 

I went with my notoriously hard to please family (who hated August: Osage County and thought Hamilton was "okay"GROUNDHOG DAY Previews and they too loved the show from beginning to end. It's almost unfair to call it a musical. The way book and score are so skillfully woven together, it's almost a new breed of show. 

I agree that there's some fat to trim. I echo the poster above who says some of the repeated lines could be shortened up just to keep momentum. But nothing big. The way the score's themes play out through the whole evening, mixing into the different songs like beautifully ornate clockwork, it's magical. It's a trim job that needs skill and finesse. The Great Comet used their previews to make similar changes, and with Warchus at the helm, I feel like this show can use the next month to become the winner it deserves to be.

And finally, the audience ate it up. I've never seen an sold out audience rise that quickly for a standing ovation as soon as the lights came up for bows. It's a crowd pleaser, and I truly hope it can find its audience. 

Updated On: 3/21/17 at 01:12 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#147GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:23am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Whizzer hello... it makes me so happy that you'd vote for ANDY KARL too... maybe it's possible for an upset?? I mean he can't beat BEN PLATT but ugh it would be so damn cool... :)

Skimbleshanks, I didn't think Platt was beatable until tonight. He's obviously still the frontrunner and could easily win, but Andy Karl does stand a chance to pull off an upset. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#148GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:45am

I wonder how much the Tim minchin late late show appearance does for ticket sales of the show. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MadonnaMusical
#150GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 6:54am

PThespian said: "showscpt said: "Saw last nights preview - beyond excruciating. If you want to be stuck watching a never ending repeat of a second rate show that should never have made it to the stage - Groundhog Day is for you. Mindless drivel. Save your money ... this show is going to have a very short life on Broadway.

Unfortunately I have to concur. 

I know Andy Karl since the Winter Garden housed Rocky. 

They do not make nicer people. 

Unfortunately he does seem to have a knack for picking bad shows. 

I predict this one will not last as long as Rocky did. 

"

Unfortunately actors rarely get to "pick" what shows will cast them and pay their bills. So glad to hear the show got even better last night. I can't wait to see this again. It is just sooooo close to being really brilliant. 

Videos