Retire it, QUEEN!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#125PQ will be great!
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:17pm

Last time I checked, THE WEDDING SINGER flopped.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

NDR
#126**********************
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:21pm

Updated On: 3/8/07 at 03:21 PM

VIETgrlTerifa
#127PQ will be great!
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:22pm

In the end, The Pirate Queen is and will be great. In a day when people herald Cats, Phantom, The Wedding Singer, etc. despite their incredible shortcomings, there is absolutely no way that The Pirate Queen is horrible. Sail on or sail short - The Pirate Queen stands as a triumph in musical theatre.

Tell me this isn't your attempt at being objective.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

SorryGrateful
#128PQ will be great!
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:25pm

Thank you, VIETgrl. That post of yours, NDR, is HIGH-larious!

This is my favorite part:

"In the end, The Pirate Queen is and will be great."

I love that you came in trying to be the voice of reason and then typed something like that. I'm not trying to be facetious. Your post gave me an honest belly laugh.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

NDR
#129*********************
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:25pm

Updated On: 3/8/07 at 03:25 PM

SorryGrateful
#130PQ will be great!
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:27pm

Uh-huh.

NDR
#131*************
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:31pm

Updated On: 3/8/07 at 03:31 PM

SorryGrateful
#132PQ will be great!
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:34pm

Wait-- what?

vmlinnie
#133My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:35pm

Okay, let me make this clear. I haven't seen the Pirate Queen, but I'd like to comment on the posts on this thread.

1. Step dancing? Ugh...

2. No one, I mean NO ONE, in Ireland, calls my native tongue Gaelic. Unless they're trying to make themselves understood to foreigners, usually Americans.

3. I'm rather glad they don't use Irish accents, because if I saw the show I'd be absolutely sick of them. What you guys think are brilliant Irish accents, I cringe at. I HATE Oirish accents, and that's exactly what American Irish films always have. Not Irish accents, Oirish.

4. Yes, in Les Mis the characters don't seem to make an effort to speak English, because they are speaking in their natural tongue, and whatever that may be to them (French) is irrelevant. It was originally aimed at a British audience, and so it was made relative to them. The urchins and downtrodden had recognisably underclass English accents, the Bishop, Javert, etc. have upperclass accents. If they had French accents, the audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference. This tool was used in the film Alexander. The Macedonians, thought to be inferior by their English-accented Greek counterparts, had irish accents. It's all relative.

There's much more where that deluge came from. Any questions about Irish language, accents, dancing or similar, PM me. If you're looking for your Half-Irish great, great uncle, twice removed, twice returned, don't. He's dead.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#134My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:44pm

I'm shilly...NDR, could you get the door?

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

SorryGrateful
#135My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:48pm

*pulls up chair, waiting for more of doodle's genius*

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#136My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:59pm

Sail on or sail short - The Pirate Queen stands as a triumph in musical theatre.

Ha ha ha, these posts are a blast, keep them coming, please! My Irish views on Pirate Queen.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#137My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 4:03pm

Small reminder - the show hasn't opened yet?! Will we have to go through this again at opening? Or can we just replay these threads?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#138My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 4:06pm

Of course not keen! It's BWW! When the show opens, we have to rehash the same topic over again.

Trying to defend this show is like me defending CATS.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#139My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 4:06pm

Let them go at it again, please! Pure entertainment...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#140My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 4:09pm

I like how the same arguments come up every time a mediocre (or worse) show begins previews on Broadway. It's a horrifyingly annoying cycle. :/

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Esparzafan Profile Photo
Esparzafan
#141My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 4:20pm

How many threads can there BE on PQ at one time? Wow this is horrifying.

And Foster, I respect your opinion and appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for posting your review. Updated On: 3/7/07 at 04:20 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#142My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 5:03pm

I'm just going to knock this all out at once. I'm responding to more than one person, so try to keep up, y'all:

"a critique is an objective view of a piece of art in light of one's own experience; a negative (or positive) critique embodies a subjective nature characteristic of one's own preconceptions and/or experience - not necessarily a truly critical and educated point of view."

So what you're saying is, a critique is objective, unless it is either negative or positive, then it becomes subjective? Wouldn't that make it criticism, rather than a critique? It's like saying calling truth a subjective fact, which is not the same thing at all.

"In the end, The Pirate Queen is and will be great. In a day when people herald Cats, Phantom, The Wedding Singer, etc. despite their incredible shortcomings, there is absolutely no way that The Pirate Queen is horrible. Sail on or sail short - The Pirate Queen stands as a triumph in musical theatre."

Is that your critique? Sounds like opinion being stated as fact, which is not very objective.

"I never said that my opinion was anything but subjective at this point - my mutterings were in fact a proposal to the masses to consider their musings"

Ahhhhh.....huh? That's a really weird sentence. What was the proposal? Who's getting married? Momma, I'm a big girl now. What?

"just making it this far - to even the light of day and the broadway stage is an accomplishment - failure or success, the odds of making it to Broadway are small and The Pirate Queen has set sail"

Well, to be honest, the last two out of three B&S musicals made it to Broadway and were huge successes, so the fact that this one made it to Broadway, success or not, is not the biggest accomplishment. Or even surprising. Brooklyn, Lennon, In My Life and Street Corner Symphony making it to Broadway were "accomplishments". Pirate Queen is really par for the course.

"I like how the same arguments come up every time a mediocre (or worse) show begins previews on Broadway."

I think you mean, "every time ANY show begins previews on Broadway". I mean, c'mon! I remember these same feuds for Hairspray, Millie, Wicked, Brooklyn, Spamalot, Sweet Charity, Whoman in White, Avenue Q, and countless others.

"How many threads can there BE on PQ at one time?"

One word: Wicked

Please, this is nothing!

(Marc Shaiman rox)

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#143My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 5:08pm

^That is true. So far, though (I've only been posting here since November, though) it seems to me it gets much bloodier when most agree that the show isn't going to turn up a positive critical response.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#144My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 5:14pm

Au contraire! I don't think anyone got upset that most people didn't like In My Life. That was a unique exception.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Bobo2
#145My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 5:16pm

Well I'm going to try and see it. For $25 how bad can it be.

I'm such a bobo.

perfectliar
#146My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 5:23pm

If they're already selling the entire house for $25, I can't imagine it'll be long until they're throwing free tickets at people.

NDR
#147*****************************
Posted: 3/7/07 at 5:34pm

Updated On: 3/8/07 at 05:34 PM

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#148My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 5:39pm

Oh, who cares?! That guy doesn't matter! Let him stay,
locked up for another half an hour! The police will be here by then and there are two dead bodies in the study!!

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#149My Irish views on Pirate Queen.
Posted: 3/7/07 at 6:11pm

This all reminds me of the good ole' days of all those Dance of the Vampires threads.

Videos