adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#125re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 11:29am

No, it was actually Wicked.

mrkita08
#126re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 12:29pm

When I saw Gypsy in the front row I turned my cell phone off and removed the battery. I heard the Sweeney Todd Lupwn story and I feared for my life.

I would be so embarrassed if my phone ever went off during a performance.

And to the girl who "Got a new phone and didn't know how to turn it on silent." Your not supposed to have the phone on silent, or vibrate, its supposed to be off, its supposed to act like a rock and do nothing. All phones have an off button, its usually the red one with an off sign on it. Have some class.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#127re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 12:33pm

Signed. Srsly, if you don't know how to turn your new phone off TO THE EXTENT that you can't even turn it off, leave it the hell at home.

I know I've expounded on this subject before, but I'm absolutely incredulous that a person who is capable of posting at least semi-coherently on an internet discussion board is also incapable of switching off a mobile phone. It's not like she's Amish or severely learning disabled, y'know? Yikes. o_O

mr.scribble Profile Photo
mr.scribble
#128re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 1:23pm

that's a little ridiculous wen i'm on stage and i notice stuff like that it gives me something to talk and laugh about in the green room later, she should just laugh about it and move on

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#129re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 2:08pm

Heh, I love this thread. Good for Patti. If audience members and ushers can't get through to people, then I say bravo to an actor who uses his or her clout to send the message that electronics are not acceptable.

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#130re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 2:46pm

Glenn Close stopped a performance of Sunset Boulevard due to the number of cameras flashing. She had made her first entrance and as she decended the stairs cameras were going off all round the theatre.
When she finished her first song, "WITH ONE LOOK" there was another barrage of photographs at which point, while remaining in NORMA character, Ms Close said,

"We can have a performance or we can have a press conference however we cannot have both".

There was a huge round of applause and not surprisingly the photography session ended.

Good on you Glenn!

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

My.Small.Apricot
#131re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 3:00pm

Wow.... I've never heard anything like this. "Ms. LuPone will not go back onstage until you are removed from the front row!" If someone told me that, I would've probably burst into tears! How Harsh. Then again, the girl was warned not to use the cell phone... But I agree she should just focus on her own performance and not worry about the teen texting. she should just think about the other people who are all eyes on her in the front row, and ignore that one girl. But it was wrong of the girl to keep on texting. It is very disrespectful to the actors and the people around you

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#132re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 3:24pm

At yesterdays matinee, after the intermission, some people were late getting back to their seats, so myself and others had to get up to let them pass, and I noticed Patti looking over because it was right in front, but it wasn't a big deal.
Updated On: 7/13/08 at 03:24 PM

broadwayboy101
#133re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/14/08 at 6:27pm

from today's Onstage & Backstage article by Seth Rudetsky

"Finally, I forgot to tell you that when I was interviewing Laura Benanti last week we were talking about audience behavior at Broadway shows. She said that she was told at Gypsy to constantly be on the lookout for people videotaping the show. She told me she responded, overwhelmed, with, "Really? Can't I just act?" Well, one day the whole cast noticed someone texting non-stop…in the front row! Patti LuPone was mind boggled someone would pay so much for a ticket, but spend the time texting. Well, Patti demanded that the person be thrown out for Act Two! I asked Laura if the person could have insisted on staying and she said Patti wouldn't have gone on again. Brava!!!!!"

So not only did Patti notice, the entire cast noticed.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/119472.html

Bickle Profile Photo
Bickle
#134re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/14/08 at 6:30pm

Go Patti! You go Miss Girl.

BroadwayBelle2
#135re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/14/08 at 8:37pm

I love Patti LuPone!!!!!
OMG how can anyone get bored enough to take out their phone when she's performing.
Updated On: 7/14/08 at 08:37 PM

chino Profile Photo
chino
#136re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/14/08 at 9:01pm

It surprises me that she was bored on that show! Once again, Brava Patti LuPone!

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#137re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/14/08 at 9:09pm

Patti Kick's @ss!

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#138re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/14/08 at 9:20pm

who is Patti Kick? and is her ass nice?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#139re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/14/08 at 9:51pm

I kind of want to see someone get LuPwned at the show, lol. (just not me!) In the announcement, both before the show and before Act 2, they made it very clear to not have any cell phones, electronics, candy wrappers, etc. Guess it worked, thankfully.

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#140re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/14/08 at 10:08pm

Is it me or has anyone else noticed the mass irony at the bottom of certain pages of this thread? The ad where you can download your very own Patti LuPone Ringtones????

I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe!!!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

BroadwayBelle2
#141re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/15/08 at 8:26am

Yeah I noticed that too lol.

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#142re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 12:41am

I searched the board to find this original post. It's barely 2 weeks since the cell phone girl, and some of the audience at "Gypsy" still haven't learned how to act in the theater. I was at the 2:00 performance today- one cell phone rang during the firat act, and another during the second act. The people behind me in the orchestra unwrapped candy, gum, or whatever for the entire show at different times- and felt the need to comment after each scene. People walked in at least 15 minutes into the show, and some were very late coming back from intermission. I won't even discuss how people were dressed- I won't get petty. I'm sure that rude behavior occurs during every show, but I remember reading this post recently and it was still fresh in my memory.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

broadwayboy101
#143re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 12:45am

I can totally understand not being dressed up for it. My dad and I are taking the train into NY, and we're going to have to be in jeans and polos or something of that kind for the show (I'm gonna die, I HATE not dressing up for evening shows...), so I don't find that as rude.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#144re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 12:51am

jeniferrenepatricia:

I was at today's matinee as well, and it was ugly. The second worst show crowd-wise that'd I've been too (Spamalot is just about always terrible). There was a lady who was probably intoxicated shouting random things like "Go Herbie" or something similar, people looked like trash, the cellphones, etc.

They did keep refering in the opening message to NOT text message though!

ko74612 Profile Photo
ko74612
#145re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 1:12am

Patti Lupone is the definition of a diva, and her sense of entitlement is astonishing. She should be lucky to have a paying audience. We all put up with minor annoyances. She is a live theater preformer. She won't always capture the attention of everyone. Be professional. Move past it.

Laura Benanti was told to be on the look out for people taping the show. She was amazed and asked "Really? Can't I just act?"

Yes Ms. Benanti, you can. You are there to preform, not play private investigator. If only your melodramtic co-star felt the same.

Why do we follow leaders who never lead?
Why does it take catastrophe to start a revolution?
Tick Tick BOOM

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#146re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 1:22am

Patti saw it, she alerted someone to take care of it, it isn't like she jumped from the stage took the phone and smashed it on the ground. I think it was well controlled and I would have done the same in her position. Even though I'm waiting for this day to come:

re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#147re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 2:22am

PHILLY03- Yes!!! I know exactly what you're talking about. She was sitting in the right orchestra section, a few rows behind me. She was shouting things out during the final scene with Herbie, the dressing room scene with Gypsy and the photographer, and when Gypsy exits laughing at Rose. Obnoxious...plus, she had a few people giggling either with or AT her!!!!!! Thank God I saw this show multiple times. If it was my first time, I would've been more furious than I am now. For some reason, I find the evening audience to be a little more respectful. Of course, that's not always the case; but in my experience, they are better than the matinee crowd.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#148re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 11:16am

I had people sitting in the left orchestra and they didn't know about it...but I was in RORCH J & could hear every last thing of it. Also, the crowd just seemed so bitter, I saw an adult "yelling" (not a full-out yell...a stern talking!) at two teenagers who said something along the lines of "I hope I/you like the show!" And intermission was just not friendly either.

Very bizarre crowd for the record!

Rose_Lee
#149re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/17/08 at 1:33pm

Wow. Poor girl. She deserved it though! How dare someone text in the middle of a Broadway show, yet alone in a show with Patti LuPone?

Videos