Official Shrek The Musical Thread

nyc_chick02
#125re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/2/08 at 3:18pm

Updated On: 9/3/08 at 03:18 PM

ChecksintheMayo
#126re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/2/08 at 3:37pm

He, unfortunately, is going to always be compared to Eddie Murphy. While his numbers "I Won't Let You Go" & especially "Gotta Make a Move" are quite good and he knows how to bring it there, for a character who's manic, bouncy and getting in everybody's faces, he's far too taciturn when the focus isn't on him.
Updated On: 9/2/08 at 03:37 PM

umbawumba
#127re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/2/08 at 3:46pm

Agreed. Donkey's character/costume is pretty weak compared to the other characters on stage, considering how big of a role he's got. Hopefully he can pull out something more in the next week while this show is in previews; otherwise, NY is going to be a bit disappointed with him.
Updated On: 9/2/08 at 03:46 PM

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#128re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/3/08 at 1:33pm

https://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20223080,00.html

Looks like Shrek made it into People magazine! "McGreeny," eh? re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread

I would post the picture but it never works for me when I do it...

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/news/080915/shrek240.jpg

~*Sara*~

Who would play you in the movie? "Taye Diggs." --Brian d'Arcy James
Updated On: 9/3/08 at 01:33 PM

rich.hanson59
#129re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/3/08 at 2:15pm

First look from a local Seattle news station.

Youtube Link

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#130re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/3/08 at 3:21pm

Could someone please PM me the songs as well? I'd really love to hear the lyrics. I'm interested to see what they did with the music.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

jesseeinstein
#131re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/3/08 at 6:56pm

I as well would LOVE a copy of the cd! pm away!

stupidbeans
#132re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/3/08 at 8:51pm

I am dying to hear the new songs added during the preview. From what I heard on the demo, the lyrics need a lot of work and big bright beautiful world, eh. I see the potential and I have a feeling that if the creative team is smart, this show might be another lion king.

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

musicnmath
#133re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/4/08 at 4:49pm

I'm interested in all the various changes as I saw it 1st preview. Most especially: I found Pinnochio to be a boring character (bad material, not bad Johnny), yet I'm now hearing he's fabulous. Anyone have a list of what's been changed so far?

umbawumba
#134re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/6/08 at 11:40pm

Shrek is going to be huge on Broadway--even you Disney haters will love it. :) I'm not a fan of the movie to musical genre we've got going on right now, but I'm a huge fan of Shrek (and Hairspray I might add!). The creative team has really been doing wonders at editing this show during the preview run in Seattle. If you saw any preview performance at all, you really need to go back and see the show again as they've had many many changes--too many to list or even attempt to list (scene reordering, line ditching and rewriting, song additions, song deletions, etc.) The show is at a very solid state for Broadway and I think this one is going to be around for a long long time. The acting, set, costumes, songs, lighting, dancing, etc. will really impress you.

SeattleNomad
#135re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/7/08 at 6:29pm

I saw the show on August 24 and they had just replaced two songs that hadn't been sung before. I enjoyed the show and how they adapted it but it was only ok. The songs themselves weren't bad but I didn't think that any single song was all that memorable. Shrek doesn't have any stand-out songs and I think that Christopher Sieber (Lord Farquaad) steals the show from everyone. Kecia Lewis-Evans has a phenomenal voice that is completely underutilized. We were told after the show that they added a song for her on our night and I hope that they took our input and give her more songs! The sets and costumes are great (with exception to Donkey's pants that reminded me of "assless" chaps with cargo pants underneath).

The show itself was entertaining but did have some long lulls that almost put me to sleep. If they work on the timing, amp up some of the songs (they said that Jeanine Tesori was writing songs a few days before they were performing them on stage...talk about talent), and fix Donkey's costume then I think that Broadway will have an entertaining show..or at least one that enough tourists will go to make it successful.

The young kids that sat around me looked bored and tired (and openly stated so) so I wouldn't suggest this for kids under the age of 7 or 9 because the songs aren't that "animated" and there aren't many high-action scenes.

Overall, the cast, costumes, and sets are on-par with Broadway standards. The writing and music still needs some work. I look forward to seeing how the show morphs and have been excited to see how shows are created! I would probably rate the August 24 show as a C+.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#136re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:04pm

At least they're making every effort with this one.

Unlike 'Mermaid' where no effort was made to change anything in the Denver run...

Everything in life...is only for now.

stupidbeans
#137re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:06pm

mermiad has SO many flaws

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

Greenwich Bruce Profile Photo
Greenwich Bruce
#138re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/8/08 at 3:38am

I saw the show tonight. My interest in seeing the show and the reason I spent a lot of money to get a great seat was because Sutton Foster was playing Princess Fiona. However, she was replaced tonight. I hate spending $80 to see a Sutton Foster musical without Sutton Foster. I'd feel the same if Christian Sieber was replaced the night I went. Due to technical difficulties, the show started 33 minutes & 45 seconds late.

As of September 2, 2008, Wikipedia had the following songs listed:

Act I
* Big Bright Beautiful World
* I Won't Let You Go
* The Line-Up
* The Line-Up Reprise
* The Goodbye Song
* I Know It's Today
* Things Are Looking Up in Duloc
* Travel Song
* Donkey Pot Pie
* This Is How Dreams Come True
* Who I'd Be

Act II
* Morning Person
* The Ballad of Farquaad
* Let Her In
* When Words Fail
* What Happens to Love
* Freak Flag
* More to the Story
* Wedding Procession
* The Wedding
* Finale

Tonight's program, September 7, 2008, had one order change to Act One - I won't Let You Go comes after The Goodbye Song - & one title change - Dreams Come becomes a Dream Comes. Act Two had a new song added after the useless Morning Person, the inane I Think I Got You Beat; Let Her In is replaced by Make a Move; and Wedding Procession is not listed. Below are my best guess as to the lengths of the songs (I couldn't always see my watch clearly):

Act I 1:14:15
* Big Bright Beautiful World 7:45
* The Line-Up 3:43 [a take-off on A Chorus Line's "I Hope I Get It']
* The Line-Up Reprise (don't recall it)
* The Goodbye Song 2:05
* I Won't Let You Go 2:40
* I Know It's Today 3:15
* Things Are Looking Up in Duloc 4:47
* Travel Song 4:58
* Donkey Pot Pie 4:18
* This Is How a Dream Comes True 3:02
* Who I'd Be 3:30
Intermission 20:00
Act II 1:05:11
* Morning Person 5:00
* I Think I Got You Beat 3:30 + 1:25 of farting & belching
* The Ballad of Farquaad 2:20
* Make a Move 4:30
* When Words Fail 3:00
* Morning Person Reprise (don't remember hearing this)
* What Happens to Love :45
* Freak Flag 4:00
* More to the Story 3:15
* The Wedding 1:52 (really a reprise of BBBW)
* (another reprise of BBBW) :45
* Finale 2:50

Random Review Thougths:
The sets are marvelous but don't have to be too fancy. Keaton Whittaker (Young Fiona) has a future in musicals. Brian D'Arcy James sings/acts/dances well however, he is playing the Mike Myers accented character. Chester Gregory suffers from comparison to Eddie Murphy. While he can sing and dance, he simply is currently lacking in that extra spark which differentiates a Broadway star from national tour. John Tartaglia is often good as Pinocchio. Kecia Lewis-Evans, who also has the best costume, is underutilized as the dragon. Christopher Sieber absolutely steals every scene he's in. It's too bad he doesn't have a song that goes like The Song that Goes Like This (from Spamalot) nor a duet with someone like Tony winning Sara Ramirez. He should be nominated for a Tony for his "short-comings" in Shrek. One of the fresh-faced Duloc welcomers (think It's a Small World) has a dark 5 o'clock shadow and is too much taller than the others. He sings & dances well but just looks wrong in this particular part. Why is Adam Reigler (as young Shrek) chewing gum?

Shrek will make a lot of money in its initial run on Broadway if only because of the movie tie-ins. Once Sutton & Christopher move on, revenue should drop faster than Young Frankenstein or Spamalot. While the songs tell the story of Shrek, I don't think any are show stoppers and NONE will be hummed years from now.

nyc_chick02
#139re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 3:51am

"Chester Gregory suffers from comparison to Eddie Murphy. While he can sing and dance, he simply is currently lacking in that extra spark which differentiates a Broadway star from national tour."

I'v seen a few reviews of Chester Gregory and they all say the same thing about Chester Gregory being compared to Eddie Murphy. I mean it is a hard role to portray because of how Eddie Murphy voiced that role. He brought life to that role. Of course he is going to have big shoes to fill. I haven't seen the show just yet but I have seen Chester in Hairspray, Tarzan and CryBaby and he is one of my favorite Broadway stars out there. He can bring a role to life and has definitely the voice and acting to match. I mean come on how many people do you know who can sing upside down at the top of his lungs?!?!... See what Chester can do and has done alot he is an amazing talent and usually does steal the show but this isn't called DONKEY it's SHREK, he has big shoes to fill and i'm sure it could do with the directing and how they want him to be...i just pray they change that damn costume...lol

thevolleyballer
#140re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 5:17am

Unfortunately, though the role is written for Donkey to steal the show, Gregory does anything but.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#141re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 7:26am

Greenwhich Bruce, which understudy was on for Fiona?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Greenwich Bruce Profile Photo
Greenwich Bruce
#142re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 8:55am

Sarah Jane Everman played Princess Fiona.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#143re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 12:58pm

...Why did they cut I COULD GET USED TO THIS? It was the only one of the songs I remembered hearing from the demo.

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#144re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 1:33pm

New interview with BdJ! :)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/entertainment/2008167402_shrek090.html?syndication=rss

~*Sara*~

nyc_chick02
#145re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 6:07pm

Im sure that it isn't Gregory's acting but the material...i mean like i said hes not suppose to STEAL the show its called SHREK not DONKEY..I mean the musical is written for Seiber not Gregory so how can he steal the show?? I mean look at his costume for goodness sake... they haven't even finalized it... Updated On: 9/9/08 at 06:07 PM

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#146re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 6:12pm

@rose_pearl: That article says Sieber's a Tony winner.

NOMINEE, dumbtards!

notyourmomma
#147re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 7:17pm

Nyc_chick, would you please stop basing your opinion on bootlegs? Thanks.

stupidbeans
#148re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 7:18pm

what did it say, it isn't showing up

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#149re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
Posted: 9/9/08 at 7:36pm

@rose_pearl: That article says Sieber's a Tony winner.

NOMINEE, dumbtards!

I didn't even notice that at first...but yeah, I hate that.

~*Sara*~

Videos