pixeltracker

What shows have you walked out on?- Page 7

What shows have you walked out on?

Dollypop
#150What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/31/18 at 2:47pm

The original PACIFIC OVERTURES. I had a terrible sinus headache and the kabuki style music was making it worse. Got outside and it was pouring rain (which may have caused the headache) and decided to return to the theater only because it was dry inside.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Alex172005
#151What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/31/18 at 4:50pm

While not really a broadway show, off-broadway’s newsical is one of the worst things I’ve ever had to endure.

I was with others so didn’t walk out, but desperately wanted to.

EdEval
#152What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/31/18 at 11:54pm

I've walked out on the following shows:  Spring Awakening;  Fun Home,  Book of Mormon.      Main reason for all:  I didn't like the music.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#153What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 6/1/18 at 5:48am

I received a Private Message from another board member questioning my reason for liking what I like, and basically asking how could I even like it when they walked out. Here was my reply:

We all like different things, find humor in different things, and are raised differently by our parents or surroundings to like, tolerate, worship, have political views, and aspire to be different things. We all have lives that are complicated by health issues, financial issues, and conflicts in our daily lives and jobs. All of this affects who we are.

A long time ago one of my best friends introduced me to “South Park” the TV show. It too is similar in its style of humor as the musical, but not overly as vulgar. But damned close.

I’ve seen 21 musicals now, ranging from Broadway classics to the controversial. By the way, I’ve never heard of “Spring Awakening” until your message, though I’m sure it may have been mentioned on the forum. It just never stuck in my head. I did love “Fun Home”. It was amazing, and I have a fully cast-signed window card from the National Tour.

If “The Book of Mormon” is still running on Broadway and in a National Tour there is a reason for that. How many tens of thousand of people see it every week? I’m not the only one who found it the funniest thing I’ve ever seen, and you’re most certainly not the first person who walked out on the show.

To each his own.

We as theater lovers shouldn’t admonish others for their likes and dislikes. We should appreciate that there is so much out there, that the choices are so plentiful, as to make just about everyone happy.

I would never see “Sponge Bob” or “Frozen”, “Mean Girls” or “The Boys in the Band”, simply because they are not to my taste.

I have seen 21 musicals that are to my taste, and I enjoyed every single one of them.

And I won’t won’t apologize for that. But I apparently am finding myself defending it?

David

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#154What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 6/1/18 at 6:51am

EdEval said: "I've walked out on the following shows: Spring Awakening; Fun Home, Book of Mormon. Main reason for all: I didn't like the music."

These are some of my favorite shows! Lol

sdrick
#155What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 6/1/18 at 6:30pm

robskynyc said: "blaxx said: "I walked out of Phantom because it was all about a masked man and not a phantom, and it had too much opera. They didn't advertise it was so much opera.

I also walked out of Wicked at intermission because the lead was good and not wicked until the very end, and it had a big dragon and clocks and it was confusing.

And also I walked out of The Lion King because it had puppets but you could see the person handling the puppets, and Iknow it has hakuna Matata and all those songs but I could see the people and I left.
"

you must be be another one of these nasty BWW board trolls I keep hearing aboutheart

I kinda think he was joking . . . I hope he was joking . . .

Oak2
#156What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 6/1/18 at 9:10pm

I have never walked out of a show - ever. I'm still at the theater where the first show I saw was, because it's rude to walk out of a show. So many rude people in this theater, I was the only one that stayed. Even when people tried to tell me to leave, I refused - I have too much respect for the theater to be rude by walking out. I'm still here 25 years later, in my own personal hiding spot I've found - It took some time getting used to living here, but at least I'm able to get a good view of later shows in the place, and I'm able to survive. Had a few close scrapes where an usher almost spotted me and tried to get me thrown out, but lately I've gotten good enough at disguising myself and making it seem like I just came in. And yet I still see hundreds of people each day continue to disrespect the theater by walking out. Disgusting. I feel I am the only person in the world who has the true respect it deserves.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#157What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 6/1/18 at 11:44pm

Left Mean Girls bc seat was cramped, first row extreme end in front of speaker, gentlemen's guide to love and murder bc it was murder to sit thru, war paint, noises off bc it was off, Color Purple bc I got tired of screaming substituting for singing and music so loud it was impossible to get lyrics, Hamilton bc it was July 4th weekend last year and understudies were used in main parts and were disorganized.  Having seen it a dozen times including the orig cast, I didn't want my memory destroyed by the subpar performances.

robskynyc
#158What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 6/2/18 at 1:23pm

Oak2 said: "I have never walked out of a show - ever. I'm still at the theater where the first show I saw was, because it's rude to walk out of a show. So many rude people in this theater, I was the only one that stayed. Even when people tried to tell me to leave, I refused - I have too much respect for the theater to be rude by walking out. I'm still here 25 years later, in my own personal hiding spot I've found - It took some time getting used to living here, but at least I'm able to get a good view of later shows in the place, and I'm able to survive. Had a few close scrapes where an usher almost spotted me and tried to get me thrown out, but lately I've gotten good enough at disguising myself and making it seem like I just came in. And yet I still see hundreds of people each day continue to disrespect the theater by walking out. Disgusting. I feel I am the only person in the world who has the true respect it deserves."

ur basically the phantom of the opera at this point. lol

robskynyc
#159What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 6/2/18 at 1:25pm

JayElle said: "Hamilton bc it was July 4th weekend last year and understudies were used in main parts and were disorganized. Having seen it a dozen times including the orig cast, I didn't want my memory destroyed by the subpar performances."

ill 100% agree on that one. most of their replacement casting has been so scattered. or their singing is crap (its no secret i hate mandy gonzalez as angelica) but im at the point where i've seen the show so much, that i'd only go back if Renee Elise ever reprises her role.

Tom5
#160What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 6/2/18 at 2:11pm

Halfway into a certain Neil LaBute play my wife and I switched seats with a couple who had an obstructed view.

Videos