pixeltracker

The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread- Page 7

The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread

lovesclassics
#150re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 11:34am

"So now we'll have a bunch of fetuses running around the stage reading lines meant for more mature characters, missing all the laughs."

Best12bars, I love you!

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#151re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 12:31pm

After sitting through 3 and 1/2 hours of GONE WITH THE WIND: the Musical, I don't trust anything that man does.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#152re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:04pm

So now we'll have a bunch of fetuses running around the stage reading lines meant for more mature characters, missing all the laughs.

Brilliant, Besty!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#153re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:12pm

God I hope not. This is my favoirite musical so I hope he doesn't ruin it.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#154re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:25pm

Y'know what's sad?

Had Natasha Richardson lived, she'd probably be playing Desiree. *Sob!*

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#155re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:36pm

Oh the dramatics in this thread.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#156re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:39pm

Oh, the "drama police" in this thread.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

husk_charmer
#157re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:46pm

Well said, best12bars.

The more and more I see of this casting, the only three I'm excited (truly excited) for are Leigh Ann Larkin, Ramona Mallory and the Henrik (who's from my area, and we have an ex in common).

And, while I'm sure it isn't happening, if Waddingham comes over, I will *not* be seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#158re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:48pm

"And, while I'm sure it isn't happening, if Waddingham comes over, I will *not* be seeing it."

Don't be so sure. It doesn't look like Nunn wants to work with anyone but Hannah as Desiree.

Updated On: 7/30/09 at 01:48 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#159re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:49pm

Waddingham is by far the best thing about Nunn's production in London. I don't know why everyone is so determined that she not be part of the show. I know she isn't a name, and everyone wants to see a star take the role, but really, she plays it about as well as you can.

husk_charmer
#160re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:55pm

^ She's too young, she's too strong a singer, and I'm just not a fan.

The big part really being that she's too young. Desirée really needs to be early-mid 40s. The reason being, Charlotte sort of figures that Carl-Magnus is going to cheat on her, which is injury enough, but when he cheats with an older woman, it adds insult to the injury. If Desirée looks like she's about the same age, it's not as insulting.

And I have a feeling that if Nunn wants her to come over, the project will be shelved. I don't think Equity will bend, since she wasn't even discussed until post-Brantley's review.

Updated On: 7/30/09 at 01:55 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#161re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:37pm

Scarywarhol--the issue with Waddingham has very little to do with her talent and much to do with Actors' Equity. There's an "exchange program" set up between the US and the UK unions.

Many rules and precedences have been established over the years. If a lead is transferred internationally for a show, it usually has to be "proven" that this performer has either an essential "name" cache associated with the show, or is integral to the specific production being produced. There's also a tit-for-tat system in place. Equal number of performers are exchanged to keep it balanced. If Hannah were to come over, a comparable West End show would need to use an American actor as its lead. Those "exchanges" are usually scheduled way in advance.

So, with Hannah, she doesn't have a "name" associated with this production. It probably wasn't scheduled in advance to do an Equity exchange, and Trevor Nunn is probably trying to say she's "integral" to this specific production and its creative vision.

Good luck! Equity knows if it accepts, based on that argument, it's basically saying that no American actress can do this role justice now on Broadway. I'm guessing they're scrambling to work out an exchange with an American actor in a West End show. And until they can lock one, they can't accept her to play Desiree.

I'm hoping (against hope) that they scrap Nunn AND Waddingham and start over. It'll never happen, but that would serve this musical best. He's probably only holding out for her because she got good reviews and is a bit of an "insurance policy" for him. She'll make him (and his lame concept and lack of skill as a director) look good.

RANTING AGAIN (so ljay, please look away so you don't try to "control" what I say) ...

Note to Mr. Nunn and many other current theatre directors: When did "clever" substitute for "quality?" Can't you just do a good job? Can't you direct talented actors who are appropriate for the written roles and help them craft brilliant performances? Do you have to cast an 80-year-old Asian man as Fredrika, set the whole musical in Mexico with a mariachi pit orchestra, and have every other spoken line in Esperanto, just to create interest in your work? "Clever" isn't good. Try being "good." It's much more gooder.

"Where's passion in the art, where's craft?"
---Madame Armfeldt, Act I, A Little Night Music

Try trusting this brilliant material! Try honoring it. You're doing a classic Sondheim show in its first revival on Broadway. Don't insult the intelligence of the composer or of your audiences by slathering it with a shiny new coat of "modern clever."

"Don't any of the great truths of the artists come through to you at all? Are you no better than the others?"
---Henrik Eggerman, Act II, A Little Night Music

husk_charmer
#162re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:46pm

^ Brava!

lovesclassics
#163re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:48pm

Here, here, best12bars!

Trust the material. A director doesn't have to thrust some convoluted concept onto a classic piece to make it fresh and new. Just help your actors bring honest insights to their roles and do justice to the art. Explore what's already there in the subtext. Don't twist it into something unrecognizable!

If you don't like the essence of an established show, don't do it! Direct a new work, or write something of your own.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#164re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:02pm

Best 12 and others - with all due respect, you haven't seen the production and I'm sensing that a lot of what you are complaining about are *issues* that in truth aren't the real problematic ones about the production, including the supposedly too young cast who, as others in this and other threads have pointed out don't read as much younger than the roles have been played in other productions.

The issue isn't Hannah Waddingham's age (she doesn't look or sound 35) or the age of the alleged cast for Broadway (most of whom are actually about the same ages of the OBC, save Lansbury who is arguably too old.

The issue is whether Nunn's production is the best one for a Broadway revival. I believe that is very much up for debate. This production of night music is slow, small, and serious. Yes, that is due to the director's vision, but not because he has necessarily 're-invented' this material with age changes and some of the other things suggested in this thread. In execution there isn't really any new concept and perhaps thats part of the problem.

Frankly, I am one who rather wishes Sondheim or some other powers that be would step up to the plate and rethink this revival, because I personally don't believe its the one that should transfer.

I suspect if there is a hold up on Waddingham transferring with the production it is an internal debate with the producers who want a name, not AEA who at this point has pretty much relented on keeping anybody from crossing the pond to appear on Broadway.

And I completely understand the disappointment in there not being a 'name' Desiree (and I believe that creates a pretty unbalance opposite a legend like Lansbury) but I imagine that should this all pan out - Waddingham will be the toast of the town, a favorite for the Tony and ultimately pretty loved by some of the current disenters on this thread.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#165re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:13pm

"Clever isn't good."

Except ofcourse when it's Mr Sondheim being clever.

"Don't insult the intelligence of the composer"

Do you think Sondheim would confirm that this production insults his intelligence? Somehow I doubt it. Therefore don't control what Sondheim thinks or says, in just the same way that you request Ijay not to control what you say.

husk_charmer
#166re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:14pm

Michael Bennett-
While I usually agree with you, my issue with the revival really and truly is the age of the cast, particularly Desiree.

You're right, Hannah doesn't look 35 (nor do I think she sounds it), she looks younger.

re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread

And next to Erin Davie (assuming she is Charlotte), I see no reason for the age issue to affect her like it's written to do.
re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#167re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:16pm

You've seen the London revival, I take, MB? A serious "Smiles of a Summer Night?"

Pouts of a Summer Night? Frowns of a Summer Night? Tears of a Summer Night?

Thanks, I'll pass ... and wait for the "tragedy" revival of Mame.

Updated On: 7/30/09 at 03:16 PM

Michael Bennett
#168re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:19pm

Hannah Waddingham definitely reads as late 30s-40 on stage. I'm assuming that since Erin Davie recently played Anne, she will be able to read as younger, if that is the wish - but again, I'm not sure the age difference between Charlotte and Desiree is Nunn's driving focal point in their relationship.

Michael Bennett
#169re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:22pm

To say that the production is void of humour would be incorrect and unfair. Charlotte still gets laughs. The whole affair is just very small and introspective as perhaps you would imagine a production that came out of a 200 seat theatre.

mscarlyon Profile Photo
mscarlyon
#170re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:23pm

best12bars, I appreciate that you are not a fan of Trevor Nunn, but have you actually seen the London production? It doesn't seem fair to make such harsh judgements upon it, and its director, if you are basing your opinions just on hearsay and what have mostly been good reviews. Many, many people have found it an exquisite interpretation of a masterpiece, Stephen Sondheim included.

If you have seen it, fair enough. I'd be much more interested in hearing your views about the production, its concept, and its casting choices if I knew you were basing those views on a genuine theatre experience.

husk_charmer
#171re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:24pm

^ Which means Nunn doesn't get their relationship.

And, I just don't buy Hannah as Desirée. I just don't.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#172re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:29pm

I have seen it (and it is very obvious that best12bars hasn't) and the scenes between Fredrick and the Count were the funniest I have ever seen them.

I still think those of you bemoaning the advance of this production should be booking your tickets to Paris.

Michael Bennett
#173re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:30pm

I think he gets it, Nunn just doesn't direct Charlotte to be quite as sarcastic as say, Maureen Moore, whom I imagine are most people's reference point for the role on this board, and so the competition is on a different level. There have certainly been any number of Charlottes who have been the same age as Desiree in productions over the years, so while I agree that it can be a fascinating and sanguine angle of expoloration, Nunn isn't exactly going against the grain or doing something 'new' by not casting a Charlotte ten years younger than Desiree.

husk_charmer
#174re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:33pm

I think it's best for us to agree to disagree Michael Bennett.

Videos