pixeltracker

Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney- Page 7

Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#150Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/12/12 at 6:31am

I'm a fan of the show, so I'll be interested to see how this unfolds. I remember hearing about the version back in the 90s when they were going to partner with Jim Henson. I imagine everything will be CGI now.

I don't think Marshall really has to use the 'characters singing in their minds' technique. It's a fairy tale, people can burst into song. We're not in a 'real' environment the way Chicago was.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#151Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/12/12 at 10:18am

With all the stuff floating around in people's heads over this, Rob Marshall should clearly direct a film adaptation of this thread.

Honestly, I have found life so much easier since I accepted the fact that any film adaptation of a musical I like will never be the way I want. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. What will be, will be. Kay Sarah Sarah.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

nasty_khakis
#152Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/12/12 at 10:27am

Kay Sarah Sarah is the best drag name ever.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#153Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/12/12 at 11:55am

Well said, Matt! There is a very small chance that this movie is going to be the way you expect or want it to be, so if you just try to drop some expectations, you'll be alot happier at the outcome.

It's a minor (fringing on major) pet peeve of mine that people classify pixar movies as Disney movies. As someone said on the first page, Disney has extremely little to do with the development and creation of a Pixar film. All Disney does is tag their brand on at the beginning of the film, and distribute it. It just feels like Pixar is being cheapened when people give credit to Disney for the creation of WALL-E, Up, and others.

here's my fantasy cast. I'm not sure if EVERYONE on this list can actually sing, but it's fantasy, so we can all pretend they can.

Baker: Jim Parsons or Rick Moranis

Baker's wife: Lea Thompson

Jack: Eddie Redmayne

Cinderella: Emma Watson

Cinderella's prince: James Marsden

Rapunzel: Amy Adams

Rapunzel's prince: Neil Patrick Harris

The Witch: Glenn Close

Jack's Mom: Merly Streep

The stepsisters: Kristen Wiig and Emma Stone

Cinderella's Stepmother: Jane Curtin

Cinderella's Stepfather: Steve Martin

The Narrator: Richard Kind or Michael Caine

Red Riding Hood: Abigail Breslin

Grandmother: Betty White

Steward: Paul Giamotti

voice of the Giant: Ian McKellen

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#154Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:08pm

Adding Ricky Martin to my Prince wish list.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#155Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/12/12 at 1:27pm

Some of these suggestions are hilarious.

Not only has Rick Moranis retired from acting, he's about 20 years too old for it.

finebydesign
#156Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/12/12 at 3:39pm

This movie doesn't have to be a white-wash either. Love to hear J-Hud rendition of "Any Moment"

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#157Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 3:29am

With Rob Marshall directing? It means that every song that remains from the score (which means about 17% of it) will have approximately 412 edits from 37 angles in both color and B/W with nonstop camera moves inducing motion sickness and choreography that is cut-off at the knees.

Sounds like my kind of musical.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#158Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 4:21am

You guys know that both of the "In your head" musicals he's done were big showbiz musicals right? I mean he also did the much more revered Annie film and I'm pretty sure those songs weren't all in Annie's head. Into the Woods is already an other worldly piece where "in your head" songs aren't necessary.

finebydesign
#159Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 11:25am

Theatrefan, sorry I'm confused by "'in your head' songs aren't necessary." The songs we mentioned are in the character's heads.

The songs can and probably will be eliminated as they are not really moving the story along. Plus what is song about it really compelling (in the case of Steps of the Palace/Giants in the Sky)

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#160Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 11:29am

"Some of these suggestions are hilarious.

Not only has Rick Moranis retired from acting, he's about 20 years too old for it."

Yes, I'm aware. That's why I said it was a fantasy cast. And in my fantasy Rick Moranis still looks like he did in "Little Shop".

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

finebydesign
#161Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 11:40am

I wouldn't be surprised if the got Broderick and SJP for those parts.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#162Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 11:45am

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Matthew and Sarah were considered for the Baker and his Wife.

I'm hoping for other people, but they've definitely had their share of successes on the big screen.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#163Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 9:01pm

Say, what's Chip Zien doing these days, anyway?

bobbybaby85
#164Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 9:11pm

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 09:11 PM

gabrieljwickedone Profile Photo
gabrieljwickedone
#165Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/13/12 at 9:29pm

I'm still partial to Steve Carrell and Kate Winslet as the Baker and his Wife.

And I really really think we should have Chloe Moretz play Red Ridinghood. Please. Please. Please.

NoHSMisNotAMusical
#166Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 8:35pm

Likely cuts include Jack's Mother's parts in "Prologue", "CInderella at The Grave", "I Guess This Goodbye/Maybe They're Magic", "A Very Nice Prince", The Midnight Songs, "Lament", "Your Fault", and "No More". Not saying don't like them, but those are the most likely candidates.

Am I the only one who wants Patricia Heaton as Baker's Wife? She can sing, and when rewatching the OBC DVD, I realized how much she reminds me of Joanna Gleason.

random person 112
#167Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 9:10pm

I don't about the mothers part if they get a name like roseanne, who apparently has been studing voice now, they could keep it. Maybe there magic i don't think so it's a brillant piece and tells her philosphy for the rest of the show, marshalls not an idiot. A very nice prince could be but we'll see. And yes patricia heaton is a horrible choice for the bakers wife. Ten or fifteen years ago she would have been great, even perfect, but now she looks way to old, even though she's fifty three in HD she look fifty eight.

NoHSMisNotAMusical
#168Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 9:24pm

That's true, I'm just saying she could work, but most likely not. Again, I like Maybe They're Magic, but Marshall's gonna wanna trim the hell out of this for the family crowd and for new Sondheim songs. The Guys and Dolls movie cut " A Bushel and a Peck" and replaced it with some nightmare song about cats. Doesn't matter what the true fans think, matters what the producers think.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#169Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 9:25pm

Liza for the Witch.

NoHSMisNotAMusical
#170Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 9:35pm

Liza is DEFINITELY not a picture of youth and beauty. Try again.

random person 112
#171Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 9:40pm

Yes, but you see i'm not entirly sure disney will want to go the family route noHSM, they know that right now the moneys in the revionist tellings, ala shrek, and their own tangled. They also know that it's a chance to beat rival dreamworks at their own game, and what better than into the woods. Second, with a product like woods i can see it attracting familys without a HUGE amount of changes. Third, sondheim didn't write anything new for the sweeney movie and lets face it you can't improve on perfection. As for the guys and dolls movie, now it's fallen into relative obscurity and 'bushel and a peck' is an iconic song. Lastly, it lets pretty much the crux of act one out in one song, lying to get your way, and helps illustrate with the second how horrible a mistake that always ends up being.

Updated On: 1/14/12 at 09:40 PM

NoHSMisNotAMusical
#172Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 9:54pm

random person- I agree you can't improve on perfection, but the Sweeney movie was far from it, with the cutting of the chorus and lack of talent. However, Sondheim has already written songs for a movie, and Perfection + More Sondheim= My head exploding from the sheer awesomeness. I'm surprised you aren't more outraged I suggested they could cut No More. It's a beautiful song, but it slows the plot down.

random person 112
#173Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 10:05pm

Because no more could actualy work as a scene, and still work beautifully, a well acted scene that is. Plus at this time in the movie the scene will have that beauty and resonance. As for the sweeney movie i'm not saying it was perfection, i actively detest it. I meant the score and plot to woods being perfection, not sweeney. As for new songs, i don't know i actively detest rainbows, the opening number he wrote could work though, plus where do we really NEED a new or adding song. I mean just for promotional purposes cause that wouldn't make senes as so few people know who stephen is. Or does sondheim need a oscar to egot? The reason they can't do it to maybe, is exactly that it explains and puts forth the whole purpose of act one, and sets up act two. And if they just her say something along that songs lines, it won't work, the audience will forget it since it's so early in the movie. But have her sing and they'll 'listen' just like the children Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

Midnights kinda need the cut, they will seem redundant and tiresome to a movie audience, who will have already implied their messasges, and will hate them so so much. Plus with the movie able to show the passage of time in the woods...

Updated On: 1/14/12 at 10:05 PM

finebydesign
#174Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/14/12 at 11:41pm

Awhile back Roseanne was on Leonard Lopate's show and someone called in asking her about the film. She had never heard about it, so she wasn't even in the reading. I wonder who was really cast.

Go to 19:41

Videos