JP2
#2Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 8:32pm

The Mayans were right.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#2Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 8:55pm

Well, I'm all for it. We already have the beautiful taping of the OBC, so it's not like it's going to ruin the record of how good the show is, and I bet they can do some really interesting casting.

And it'll be nice to see Marshall get away from the "Musical Numbers in their Heads" trope, since the material really doesn't lend itself to that. Plus people seem ok with accepting songs in fairy tale settings anyways.

Do we think the songs Sondheim originally wrote for the film adaptation are in play, or are even more new songs on the horizon?

Updated On: 1/10/12 at 08:55 PM

Wildcard
#3Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 8:57pm

Lapine is writing it so I have a little bit of faith. Hopefully, he won't come to Marshall's way of introducing songs to musicals where it's all in the characters' heads. It worked for Chicago (pretty much borrowing the concept from Kiss of the Spider Woman), not so much for Nine. Let the casting suggestions begin…

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 8:59pm

Why, God? Is it because I was bad?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#5Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:00pm

How do you Disney-fy Into the Woods? Isn't the whole point of Into the Woods that it's NOT a sugary version of the classic fairytales? I'm so confused by this choice.

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#6Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

As long as he doesn't do the it's in your head I'm fine with it. Actually though this could have been great as a CGI.

nasty_khakis
#7Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

It's because you touch yourself when you change your avatar.

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#8Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:01pm

I hope Sondheim's songs for the 90's film adaptation are added. That is, if they fit the angle of this version.

Roscoe
#9Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:04pm

God forgive them, for they know not what they are doing.

This will, of course, be an obscenity. Have they not learned from the horrors of CHICAGO and the monstrous NINE?

On the other hand, does this mean we'll be spared that remake/update of THE THIN MAN, with Johnny Depp? Or will Depp play the Baker in this latest misbegotten abortion in waiting?

Let this never happen. Please, let this never happen.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

nasty_khakis
#10Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:05pm

I wonder if the phone call to Zeta-Jones has been made? or with Rock of Ages would she feel "musical-ed out?"

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#11Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:08pm

Looking forward to this!!! Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

gabrieljwickedone Profile Photo
gabrieljwickedone
#12Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:08pm

So Much Hate.....Gosh....Just don't go see it.

Stay home and watch the Broadway version.

I'm excited for it.

So, yeah...

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#13Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:09pm

I am willing to give him a chance.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

beautywickedlover
#14Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:10pm

I am not sure how I feel about this.

Kingtito132
#15Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:13pm

Fingers crossed that this will take long enough for Justin Bieber to finish puberty so he can't play Jack.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#16Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:15pm

Honestly, I adore Marshall's CHICAGO. But every film the man has directed since then continues to prove that Chicago was a fluke.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#17Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:17pm

I liked Chicago, haven't seen Nine.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about Disney's involvement. The second act is pretty hard-core for them, isn't it?

I know you. I know you. I know you.

nasty_khakis
#18Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:21pm

Well, a lot of the elements in the Pirates movies are pretty dark. If they're willing to go pg-13 and not strive to make it like a normal Disney-style animated musical.

undercoveractor Profile Photo
undercoveractor
#19Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:22pm

Good Lord, if some of you guys got this worked up over politics versus a movie musical then perhaps......
ahh never mind

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#20Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:23pm

CHICAGO is a fantastic movie. NINE....not so much.

This should be interesting.

random person 112
#21Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:23pm

You people are forgetting that disney can do deep films. Not often but they can, let's give them and marshal a chance when we hear casting we can gripe.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#22Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:26pm

I really think everyone should relax on the criticism. There are literally 0 details out so it's tough to criticize anything. Like a previous poster said, the stage version has already been filmed and saved for posterity. If anything, a well-made film generates appeal outside the theatre community, something Sondheim rarely has. If it's a hit, that could make a Broadway revival more likely.

That said, I do think it's a strange partnering for Disney since the show isn't really about fairy tales at all. I assume Disney understands that...

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

barcelona20
#23Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:30pm

At least it wasn't Tim Burton.

Would have much preferred someone darker like David Fincher or Christopher Nolan. I'm afraid it's going to be all gloss, no substance.

budfrump Profile Photo
budfrump
#24Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:31pm

The news was just released today.
Let us all see how casting goes and then we can launch violent verbal abuse at whoever we want.

Videos