WAR PAINT Previews

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#150WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 12:34pm

Looks like the UK are doing our own version of War Paint...

With Frances Barber as Elizabeth Arden and Miriam Margolyes as Helena Rubinstein

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#151WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:04am

The post in the Sunday in the Park with George thread reminded me that I forgot to mention that Mandy Patinkin attended this past Saturday matinee; I spotted him in a center orchestra aisle seat. I thought it was lovely he was there to support Patti (and everyone else affiliated with the show).

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#152WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:19am

I've had a few friends see it over the weekend. They all complained that they couldn't understand a word Patti said when she was singing. They said her acting was great and the jokes landed but they missed all the lyrics in her songs. They preferred Ebersoles diction and crystalline voice. They found the story dull and had no investment in either woman or their narratives. This won't sell to people outside of hardcore theatre fans. I'm worried. Goodman staff also told me patrons overall didn't like it. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#153WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:25am

I didn't have much trouble at all with Patti's accent in her solos or duets with Christine. I did have some problems with the songs when the whole ensemble sings with the accent (when they're playing Helena's staff). Hopefully that will improve over the preview period...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#154WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 10:30am

For those curious about rush, got there around 10:10 this morning and received K101 mezz. Not too bad. I believe you get front row if you line up early enough. 

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#155WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 10:41am

ljay889 said: "For those curious about rush, got there around 10:10 this morning and received K101 mezz. Not too bad. I believe you get front row if you line up early enough."

Not necessarily.  My friend and I were first in line on Saturday for the matinee and got Orchestra Left Row D, which were marked partial view.  It looked like the people in the three rows in front of us also got rush tickets, but were perhaps sold later because the were gets more and more obstructed the closer you are in that corner of the theater. Did you see or hear of anyone getting front row center orchestra?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#156WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 10:43am

The only time I struggled to understand Patti was during her opening number. After that she was fine. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#157WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 11:08am

PianoMann said: "ljay889 said: "For those curious about rush, got there around 10:10 this morning and received K101 mezz. Not too bad. I believe you get front row if you line up early enough."

Not necessarily.  My friend and I were first in line on Saturday for the matinee and got Orchestra Left Row D, which were marked partial view.  It looked like the people in the three rows in front of us also got rush tickets, but were perhaps sold later because the were gets more and more obstructed the closer you are in that corner of the theater. Did you see or hear of anyone getting front row center orchestra?
"

Hmmm. I got there once the line was gone. When I checked before 10, all side front row seats were available. By 10:02 they were gone. I assumed they were sold for rush. Center front row has been sold for a while I believe.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#158WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 11:42am

Obvious sock puppet, but her diction is fine and so is her accent. I understood virtually everything she sang both times I saw it, as much as I catch in any live performance of a musical. Maybe it's my young hearing, maybe it's that people generally don't want to bother paying close attention, but I truly almost never understand complaints like this. Had no real trouble with Ken Watanabe when I saw King and I for the first time in my life, even. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#159WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 11:48am

^Above post re: deleted comments. 

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#160WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:15pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "The only time I struggled to understand Patti was during her opening number. After that she was fine. 

"

Same here! I don't know if I just got used to her accent or if that number alone was hard to understand. After that she was fine

"In here, life is beautiful"

IdinaBellFoster
#161WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:34pm

I think it was the speed of the opening number. I don't think anything else she sang in the show was quite that fast.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#162WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:41pm

Saw the show Sat evening.  I'm with those that say the show is good--what makes it an extraordinary evening is the two stars.  Patti LuPone is just a force of Nature--thrilling to see live--and Christine Ebersole is doing wonderful work.  

I'm interested by the comments regarding the way 'Grey Gardens' insinuated itself into one's heart and mind over time.  That was absolutely true of my experience with that show, perhaps it will be the case here, although the poignancy and tragedy of 'Grey Gardens' was apparent at first sight.  'War Paint' has some (mildly) interesting things to say about Women in Power, but there is no gut-punch pathos here as there is in Grey Gardens.

Still--a very enjoyable night of theater.  

For the record:  I had no issues with Patti's diction.  I think the costumes are a shoo-in for a Tony nod, and was reminded again how dreadful the seats (first row/ctr of the Mezz) are at the Nederlander--torture!  If the spot next to me hadn't been empty, I'm not sure I would have made it through the 2nd act.

Slight spoiler--I'm curious as to whether other audiences have responded as we did on Saturday night:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

When Elizabeth Arden is sending one of the Arden Girls off to war and says--re: Hitler--"you must stand up to bullies", there was a loud and sustained round of applause--and cheers and some whistles--from the audience.  It seemed almost on the verge of stopping the show briefly.

I wonder if that is happening every show?  Ebersole seemed somewhat thrown off, which suggests maybe the response isn't always so strong?

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Updated On: 3/13/17 at 12:41 PM

IdinaBellFoster
#163WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:46pm

Addison D. - The audience didn't respond that way to that specific line when I saw the show, but moments like that happened throughout. Several of Patti's lines (and a few of Christine's) were met with show stopping applause. It was evident the early preview crowd was full of die-hard fans.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#164WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:52pm

"For the record:  I had no issues with Patti's diction.  I think the costumes are a shoo-in for a Tony nod, and was reminded again how dreadful the seats (first row/ctr of the Mezz) are at the Nederlander--torture!  If the spot next to me hadn't been empty, I'm not sure I would have made it through the 2nd act."

Can you expand on why first row mezz seats at this theater are torture? Is it just the leg room or something else?

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#165WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 12:55pm

Luscious--

Apologies for being cryptic.  Narrow seats (Yes--I'm wider than I was at 20, but these seats seem unusually tight) and with my knees almost touching the mezz parapet wall. 

The seat itself was fully functional--sturdy, clean etc.  

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#166WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:20pm

Addison D. said: "Luscious-- Apologies for being cryptic.  Narrow seats (Yes--I'm wider than I was at 20, but these seats seem unusually tight) and with my knees almost touching the mezz parapet wall. 

The seat itself was fully functional--sturdy, clean etc."

Thanks Addison! I'll probably feel the same way as you after seeing it next month. I, too, am wider than I was at 20! :) I have first-row right mezz seats on the aisle. I'm only 5'7", so hopefully leg room won't be too much of an issue. I was more concerned about clearing the bar across the front of the mezz. But it does'n't sound like that was an issue for you.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#167WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:39pm

Addison D. said: "

When Elizabeth Arden is sending one of the Arden Girls off to war and says--re: Hitler--"you must stand up to bullies", there was a loud and sustained round of applause--and cheers and some whistles--from the audience.  It seemed almost on the verge of stopping the show briefly.

I wonder if that is happening every show?  Ebersole seemed somewhat thrown off, which suggests maybe the response isn't always so strong?

"

The audience also responded this way at the Saturday matinee and it did stop the scene dead in its tracks! Ebersole didn't look visibly surprised, though, just waited for the applause to die down before continuing on with her dialogue.

Ironically,

I think they should cut the entire "Helena and Elizabeth support the troops" scenes / numbers. While it's an interesting bit of history in both of their careers, the show doesn't do much with it, so it feels inserted merely because the creators want to chronicle all of these women's major career milestones. I think doing without would either a) give them more time to dedicate to Revlon or b) shorten and tighten the second act and bring the overall run time down. Either that or find a way to make a more interesting point that warrants its inclusion and so much stage time. Otherwise, I feel like they could cover this with a few passing lines of dialogue.

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#168WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:39pm

Luscious--

When I first sat down, I was dismayed by the size/location of the railing.  I honestly don't recall noticing it at all once the curtain went up.

If the action of the show took place entirely at the leading edge of the stage, it might be an issue, but that isn't the case with 'War Paint'.  

I am a few inches taller than you, but I don't anticipate you will have sight line issues.  Those few inches, meanwhile, will serve you well in the leg room department, as will the aisle seat.  Enjoy the show!  (Don't forget to turn off your cell phone--Ms. LuPone will climb up and grab it out of your hand...)

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#169WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:42pm

PianoMann--

I agree with you.  The war-time advertising--presumably authentic?--could be used to great effect without the associated dialogue and action.

ETA: If she wasn't thrown at the matinee, presumably it wasn't a surprise at the 8PM perf.  I guess I was projecting...

Updated On: 3/13/17 at 01:42 PM

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#170WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 3:47pm

Addison D. said: "Saw the show Sat evening.  I'm with those that say the show is good--what makes it an extraordinary evening is the two stars.  Patti LuPone is just a force of Nature--thrilling to see live--and Christine Ebersole is doing wonderful work.  

I'm interested by the comments regarding the way 'Grey Gardens' insinuated itself into one's heart and mind over time.  That was absolutely true of my experience with that show, perhaps it will be the case here, although the poignancy and tragedy of 'Grey Gardens' was apparent at first sight.  'War Paint' has some (mildly) interesting things to say about Women in Power, but there is no gut-punch pathos here as there is in Grey Gardens.

Still--a very enjoyable night of theater.  

For the record:  I had no issues with Patti's diction.  I think the costumes are a shoo-in for a Tony nod, and was reminded again how dreadful the seats (first row/ctr of the Mezz) are at the Nederlander--torture!  If the spot next to me hadn't been empty, I'm not sure I would have made it through the 2nd act.

Slight spoiler--I'm curious as to whether other audiences have responded as we did on Saturday night:

"

I went on Thursday night and our audience had showstopping cheers at that line too. Ebersole handled it like a pro. 

"In here, life is beautiful"

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#171WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 6:04pm

I really wish this had gotten into a smaller theatre. This jewel of a show needs a smaller house to connect. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#172WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 11:01pm

I was there tonight and really enjoyed it! For those saying it lacks plot, are you serious? It's not the plot heaviest show around, but it's not like a non-linear Sondheim show. The music is good, but not as great as Grey Gardens. The ballads are a little too alike but much of the upbeat jazz infused songs were great. 

The show ran 2:42 tonight. Maybe they did some trimming? Act two is still too long and it needs some work, but act one flew by and was quite exciting. 

The audience responded very well to the show, even "Dinosaurs" received large acclaim. 

The ladies were simply fantastic and I'd be shocked if both aren't nominated for Tonys. Patti has never sounded stronger and she's clearly having a ball on the stage. 

I will definitely see this again after it's officially opened . I think the critics will be divided but there is so much to like and respect about this show. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#173WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 11:01pm

Updated On: 3/13/17 at 11:01 PM

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#174WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/13/17 at 11:54pm

I was also there tonight and echo a lot of what ljay said. I'm definitely in the camp that enjoyed this. I'm honestly surprised that people are referring to the show as plotless; I was engaged the entire time, and the show only left me curious to learn more about the lives and empires of these women.

Both women were phenomenal and both deserve Tony nominations, even if it's just for their 11 o'clock numbers. The costumes were beautiful, as was much of the scenic design (if not as inventive as some of the other work happening this season).

Really hoping I can find the time to catch this again after it opens, and looking forward to a cast recording in the meantime. Also, I passed by Ben Platt in the lobby on my way out of the theatre tonight (which makes sense, considering the multiple connections he has to those involved).

Videos