News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Overrated Performers

VIETgrlTerifa
#150re: overrated
Posted: 2/17/05 at 10:09pm

I never understood the appeal of Matthew Broderick either until I saw a video of him doing Master Harold and the Boys in his pre-Ferris Brueller days. Ever since I saw that performance, I would never call him overrated again.

Idina seems to be overrated and over-the-top hated at the same time...I think that's true with anyone and anything that had some sort of relation to Wicked on this board.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#151re: overrated
Posted: 2/17/05 at 10:21pm

I weep for the theatre world.

With friends like these...

Look, I'm all for being critical about productions and actors' performances in such. It's how we develop as artists...analyzing what works and what doesn't. And I understand the passion with which people argue here.

But SOME of the responses here are just filled with such bile. I only hope that, after working a lifetime to achieve a modicum of success, you are met with nothing but appreciation (and constructive criticism).

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Macy2 Profile Photo
Macy2
#152re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 2:09pm

I think that whenever people display their creative efforts for the general public to scrutinize, as an actor or a playwrite or a composer, one must expect the criticism along with the praise. What's funny is that most everyone is fairly comfortable with trashing various musicals (ahem - Good Vibrations) which are, I might point out, also the product of someone's (and probably a lot of people's) creative effort, and yet there is always a bit more squeamishness about criticizing actors. Why is that?

But as for the bile -- yes, we should all temper our criticism with some respect.

Having said that, Sarah Brightman -- WAY overrated. Her acting never impressed me (but I don't think she ever really professed to be much of an actress) and her high notes make my skin crawl. She has a tendency to close her throat too much on those notes and it produces this thin, sometimes tinny sound that I just can't listen to without feeling really uncomfortable. But hey -- other people just love her.

Another overrated performer would be Idina -- I'll join in that one. She's good and I like her, but she's not quite as amazing as to the extent that people have said. And I lump Sutton Foster into that category, as well. Saw Little Women and although I generally thought she did a fair job, she overacted the part of Jo (felt like I was watching Carol Burnett), and her singing needs some work (those higher notes that she tried to belt out were totally strained during both parts of "Astonishing").

Finally, Bebe Neuwirth -- I'll never understand why some people think she's so great.

Jacques_Clouseau Profile Photo
Jacques_Clouseau
#153re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 2:15pm

Well emcee... when I saw the show about the witches, Mr. Butz was often about a half-pitch flat in his very few opportunties to sing, and he dragged through the show as if on drugs. A talented performer I did not see. Though I will always reserve judgement for a better role to come along.

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."
:: Clouseau Blog ::

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#154re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 2:15pm

I agree about Sutton Foster Macy - I truly thought she was doing a Carol Burnett impression during certain moments of Little Women.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

B.B. Wolf
#155re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 2:20pm

Sutton Foster is one of the best performers on Broadway right now. She deserves all the hype she gets.

It's not her fault the script falls flat and the songs don't go anywhere...

Word. Word, indeed.

sparky310 Profile Photo
sparky310
#156re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 2:23pm

YOU ARE KIDDING--she is one of the most versatile actresses on the broadway stage today.

Macy2 Profile Photo
Macy2
#157re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 2:27pm

You really think SF is one of the best performers on Broadway? Wow. Well, that goes right to my overrated comment. Either that, or there's a crisis of talent out there (except there isn't -- have you seen Victoria Clark????) But I will agree that she's versatile. One of the best dancers I've seen who can also sing (subject to my comments above). Again, the acting needs to be toned WAY down, or she could focus on comedic roles more. Updated On: 2/18/05 at 02:27 PM

B.B. Wolf
#158re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 2:40pm

No there isn't a dearth of talent out there, but there IS a lack of true triple-threats, of which Sutton is one. And yes, Victoria Clark is quite good. re: overrated

Word. Word, indeed.

Plum
#159re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 5:08pm

Macy, it's harder to criticize a person because, well...they're a person. With feelings. And even vicious theater queens sometimes display a semblence of empathy. :)

What's funny is that we usually show no compunction in criticizing a score or a book that can be attributed to one person. Maybe because it's more indirect- you're not insulting the person, just their work in this particular instance.

Another thing that may contribute to the relatively "nice" way we treat actors? Tons of people on this board are aspiring, former, or working actors themselves. I doubt there's as many composers and set designers around here.

Macy2 Profile Photo
Macy2
#160re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 5:36pm

Plum - I definitely understand what you're saying; that to criticize a performer feels like more of a personal attack to us (because many of us happen to be performers), but my playwrite friends would definitely disagree that it's less personal to attack a play or a musical that someone has written than a performer's performance.

Just as an example, a dear friend of mine is an absolutely brilliant playwrite, and although her plays have received much critical acclaim, she has had to endure the occasional slams by reviewers and audience members. And she is, indeed, incredibly hurt by the criticism (even though we all counsel her that there is no bad publicity) because she gives her life blood to these works, and she feels incredibly vulnerable as a result.

But I don't mean to wax philosophical here (nor do I wish to thread-jack -- this is a great thread, by the way, baddadnpa). Just thought I'd mention that I found it interesting that we tend to be less sensitive to other creative people in the industry. But then, that's why some of us are accused of being divas (no, not me, ever!).

Plum
#161re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 5:37pm

I'm not saying it's actually a good thing that actors get less harsh treatment- I'm just trying to elucidate what I think is the thinking behind it.

KJP
#162re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 5:41pm

Macy2, You made a very good point. People in the public eye have to be somewhat thick-skinned. Constructive criticism should be listened to. But one must also remember that
opinions on a persons performance is subjective and therefore is much more valuable when stated without the "bile" (great way to put it!) and with reasons to back up the critic. Too many times on this board I read useless, and really just plain mean comments. People think they are being witty I guess, but it's not useful. I'd rather see a harsh, yet true felt review than one that just says "I hated it" or "I loved it"
It would be nice if people could say what they have to say nicely. It really can be done and the other just hurts peoples'feelings and puts them on the defensive rather than really listening to what is being said.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#163re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 10:02pm

Marc Kudish. He has his moments - but I never understand how people can rave about his voice. Every show I've seen him in, he sings flat all the time and he's even flat on OBCs...how can someone with so many pitch problems be working on Broadway so often?

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#164re: overrated
Posted: 2/18/05 at 10:41pm

Marc is overrated...Loved him in THE WILD PARTY, but not much else.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#165re: overrated
Posted: 2/21/05 at 4:07am

Ethel Merman came on the scene at a time when american musical comedy was at its peak. She had that huge voice that reached the back rows long before theatres had mics. She also had a sassy "drop the pretences, we're here to have fun" attitude. The shows written for her showcased her talents as a singer and comedienne. (The only film that sort of captures this is CALL ME MADAM.) Only in GYPSY did she have to really act, and if you listen to the GYPSY OCR you hear all that intense anger in "Rose's Turn" and even "Some People." None of the other Roses has given the role that much. She was Broadway's top star from 1930 (GIRL CRAZY) until 1970 when she closed HELLO DOLLY!
No other star has had that kind of career.

But her very broad acting style was rooted in the 1930s when performers played up to the audiences. Still it might have been fun to see her play Mrs Lovett! (she reportedly refused to go and see SWEENEY TODD.)

When I staretd in radio in 1979 we did a couple of interviews with her and she was remarkably candid and down to earth. Best line..we mentioned many of her hit shows and asked what had been some of her disappointments, thinking she might have said HAPPY HUNTING providing a good segue into that show. her response was "Marriages. But we all make mistakes, and thats what I did. I made a few Looloos!" It was great Ethel Merman response.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

actress_06 Profile Photo
actress_06
#166re: overrated
Posted: 2/21/05 at 4:11am

Not to say that she's overrated just over worked...but bernadette peters. She is a fantastic performer she's just been working so long that I think she needs to take a nice long rest for a while

"Better...Better than What?" -Jo March (Little Women the Musical) "NYC...Up there (In Lights) I'll be." -Star to be (Annie)

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#167re: overrated
Posted: 2/21/05 at 4:58am

this thread is awesome!!! donna murphy,joel grey,idina menzel,carol channing,antonio banderas,penelope cruz,etc. are overrated,but liza minnelli is a classic...i just love her...even if she couldnt sing.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

parker russel
#168re: overrated
Posted: 2/21/05 at 11:00am

Just saw Liza and Ben Vereen last night and any one who says they are over rated needs to really step back and evaluate what they appreciate in a performer. Any one who can make an entire theater (including the 80 year old lady next to me and the 10 year old girl behind me) stand and yell like tweens at a Britney concert on a simple key change is definitly amazing. Both have faced death several times and been told they would never perform again and both looked and sounded awesome. There ability to "WOW" an audience is worth more than any high note or perfect arch in a foot will ever be worth. They both deserve to be considered living legends. Overrated...hardly. They deserve every ounce of praise that comes their way.

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#169re: overrated
Posted: 2/21/05 at 11:32am

redhot - he is a rare find, flat or no (leading man in his 40's)
He has quite an undeniable stage presence too.
Pretty darn great in Millie I thought...no?

Menzellover11 Profile Photo
Menzellover11
#170re: overrated
Posted: 2/23/05 at 2:04am

the reason idina menzel is overrated it because shes fantastic.. i know i know this board is filled with her but really if you know true talent u gotta give her credit and shes not even stuck up about it.

theladyofshalott Profile Photo
theladyofshalott
#171re: overrated
Posted: 2/25/05 at 7:36pm

Think for a moment about what you are saying. If an actor is "overrated" that simply means they have garnered a great deal of acclaim for one reason or another. If they are undeserving of that fame (which is a matter of opinion, folks!) then the fault lies with the people who see fit to promote said performer to the level of demi-god. It doesn't mean the performer in question is untalented.

"Theatre is life, cinema is art, television is furniture."

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#172re: overrated
Posted: 2/25/05 at 8:30pm

Yes you can add me to the truckloads of people worshipping Idina, but it's exactly blind...now is it? Though quite frankly being "overrated" isn't exactly her fault...it's not like she requested a large following of tweens and teens to worship her.

I haven't been around long enough or watched shows multiple times so I can't really say who's overrated or not.

Though just from a gut instinct I do get the vibe that Chenoweth is a tad bit fake. Overrated...no. High C's for eight beats...you try that!

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#173re: overrated
Posted: 2/25/05 at 8:39pm

I never understood the appeal of Kristin Chenoweth, Idina Menzel, Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, and Rebecca Luker. I don't blame any performer for being overrated-they can't help that they have people "worship" them. It is,however, annoying to hear about how fabulous a performer is, and then be disappointed that they aren't as wonderful as others have said.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#174re: overrated
Posted: 2/25/05 at 8:47pm

I say the same for Shoshana Bean...I've heard many good things about her...and saw her recently...she wasn't that great. Shoshana is building quite a following. Basically you can blame the context of the show...Rent and Wicked...appear to be a given...you can have chopped liver perform at Wicked now and it'll have a following. Though Jennifer Laura Thompson...she did a good job. I was more then satisfied with her performance.

Maybe we can't exactly put chopped liver on stage...Drew Lachey is a good example of that. :rollseyes:

Videos