Stage Door Egos

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#150re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 3:14pm

I agree that Gregg Edelman is one of the nicest guys around. I saw the show enough that he would see me waiting outside for the house to open and come and talk to me. In fact, most of the cast of Wonderful Town were very nice.

RentBoy86
#151re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 4:07pm

Why can't you take a picture with Idina? Why is that "outlawed"

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#152re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 4:08pm

Because she had threats - and then she would take FOREVER to finish at the stage door.

joeybiltmore1
#153re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 4:14pm

Thank you Onceadancer2 for your wonderful post! (previous page)

Audryna Profile Photo
Audryna
#154re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 4:23pm

The idea that actors are employed to act and should not be expected to sign autographs or give a kind word or gesture to their fans TOTALLY eludes me. What did you get into the business for if not to captivate the imagination of your audience along with their adoration? Seems to me the autographs and kind word and gestures are the pay off for all the work you've done. I mean to know that you have inspired such adoration from someone that they wait for you in all weather for a squiggle of the pen and a smile should be the part that makes it complete. THAT'S job satisfaction.

If an actor comes to the point where they are too busy, too tired, or too important to realize the benefit and all around good will of signing a couple autographs, then surely they are not getting the satisfaction out of their job they could be. Maybe it's time to try directing, something not so much in the public eye like choreography or something.

That and it is just poor manners to ignore someone who is trying to get your attention. And I don't care who you are, there is NO EXCUSE for poor manners. Obviously the sign of someone not brought up right.

"It takes considerable knowledge to realise the extent of your own ignorance." Thomas Sowell

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#155re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 4:25pm

Audryna, you have won me over. Welcome!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#156re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 4:28pm

I agree, Audryna.

However, some people are just naturally ASSHOLES - fame or not. You can't really help them.

I do think that a performer should at least come out the stage door to give the fans a wave - even if he or she is too tired to sign.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#157re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 4:32pm

"Why can't you take a picture with Idina? Why is that "outlawed" "

Too many people to please...it would get nuts. People push and shove a grab at her enough when she's signing, imagine how chaotic it would be if she attempted to get pictures with the hundred (sometimes hundreds)or so crazy fans that wait for her.

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#158re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 5:29pm

I have never really had a bad experience at a stage door! Some of the nicest people I have met were:
Sara Ramirez- she was sooo sweet! She was very gracious about signing my playbill and having her picture taken, and she even told me I looked beautiful (I was shocked).
Tim Curry- he was really nice and very, very humble. He talked to people for a long time.
Kerry Butler- she seemed a little shy at first, but she was uber sweet and signed everyone's playbill.
Eric Idle- he was really friendly and, of course, very funny.

Codeman109
#159re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 5:32pm

I got to take a picture with Idina although this was on Thanksgiving before the Tonys and before Wicked was as big as it has become...

Some of the nicest performers I have met were: Raul Esparza, Kerry Butler, all the Q people, Douglas Sills, Tom Hewitt, and Michael Cavanaugh.

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#160re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 5:46pm

What is this about Mark Kudish? Why would he have told you that Justice?

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#161re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 5:50pm

I hate this topic because it's old and tired, but I'm going to be a hypocrite and put up my motion to add "Raúl Esparza" to the definition of gracious. Man doesn't ever fail to blow my mind.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/30/05 at 05:50 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#162re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 7:24pm

Oh, Em, you got it bad!

luvtheEmcee
#163re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 7:24pm

yeah, but we knew that. re: Stage Door Egos

Caravaggio Profile Photo
Caravaggio
#164re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 8:34pm

Actually, Audryna, The idea that some fans petulantly DEMAND that an actor sign autographs or "give a kind word of gesture" after the curtain comes down TOTALLY eludes me.

You chide the actor that is rude or doesn't want to engage with the fans afterwards, but once the curtain comes down, their work for the day is finished. If they have done their job well, they hear the applause and cheers from the audience and for a lot of actors that's where they get their job satisfaction - NOT from signing autographs or shmoozing with the fans. And for many members of the audience if they enjoyed what they've just seen on stage, they leave fully satisfied and content with a great night's entertainment. They don't NEED anything else.

Sure, it's great if stars are unfailing friendly and cheerful to fans afterwards. But some stars, for whatever reason, just don't enjoy post-show fan interaction. And that is their right. Once that curtain is down they really don't owe you anything. Maybe those audience members who insist on a cuddly response from a performer post-show just aren't getting the pleasure from live theater that they should be. Perhaps they might find more satisfaction at a petting zoo.

You disdain the unsolictious actor of "not having been brought up right" yet your arrogant attitude bespeaks a remarkably juvenile and outsized sense of entitlement.

I'm happy as long as there are brownies in the green room.
Updated On: 4/30/05 at 08:34 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#165re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 9:13pm

I've been to quite a few Broadway shows and I've never experienced a desire to wait outside a stage door so, therefore, I've never done it.

I'm sure that it could be a fun thing to do and I might be missing (or have missed) something by not having done it but my preference is to go away from the theatre with the experience that I've had watching the actors on stage and not the experience of how nice or awful they were after the show.

I'm sure that I'm in the minority on this board concerning this topic and it sound like some of you have had some great experiences over the years.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Tirso de Molina
#166re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 9:24pm

I can't imagine how much patience some stars must need at the stage door, with all the requests for autographs and pictures.

My nominee for Best Sport would have to be Pacino: after a performance of Salome, the very pregnant woman standing next to me at the barricade pulled up her maternity blouse and asked him, "Mr. Pacino, will you please sign my baby?!" He looked totally nonplussed for a minute, but then he said "What the hell?" and he autographed her belly with a Sharpie!

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

starlight2
#167re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 9:33pm

ummmm, carravagio, i replied to this earlier on in this thread, please read it, then understand me when I say "you are wrong"! And you really should read through the thread before responding! thanks for your attention to this matter.

Caravaggio Profile Photo
Caravaggio
#168re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 9:52pm

I read all seven pages of this thread, and I understand your feelings, starlinght, but I respectfully disagree.

I feel very strongly that once the curtain goes down, the actor isn't obliged to do anything else. His job is done.

I'm happy as long as there are brownies in the green room.

Eileen2 Profile Photo
Eileen2
#169re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 10:39pm

I met Terrance Mann after Les Miserables at the end of the run. He was truly a gentleman and seemed touched by my compliments of his performance.

Bradley
#170re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 10:49pm

In my experience, I often feel awkward coming out of the stage door when folks are standing there with playbills because often times they don't ask for autographs and just sort of look at you. You never want to be the guy who assumes somebody wants your autograph because how embarrassing that would be if they didn't. I know that is the experience of some of my fellow Broadway actors as well so may I suggest if someone out there wants an autograph, please ask.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#171re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 10:56pm

All I know, is that if I ever make it to broadway or even to a level of minor celebrity IF ANYONE wants my autograph I will gladly oblige. If it becomes thousands *yeah-right!* then I will do as many as possible.
Something to think about:
The day people stop wanting your autograph is the day you have no career!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#172re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 10:57pm

I think one of the best actors ever on stage (that i've seen) is David de Vries (Beauty and the Beast). I wanted to meet him so badly, I RUSHED to the stage door after the show and waited for a little while, it was kinda funny though, I saw him come out of the stage door with a bike and the entire spandex get up with the areodynamic biking helmet..I guess he assumed no one was there for him and took off on the bike. I was a little upset, but I felt honored for just having seen his performance!

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#173re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 11:00pm

well last night I went to see Chitty and the whole cast was extremely sweet. Chip Zien was extremely funny and signed for everyone. Kevin Cahoon signed as well and I was happy that he signed cause I read that he thought people didn't want his autograph so I was glad he signed.Ellen Marlow was very cute to as were all the kids who came out to sign. The sweetest was Erin Dilly. She talked to each person and was super sweet to all the little children that were waiting. Though I had to wait for Raul to come out and miss my train hehe, he was extremely gracious with everyone that was left. we got pictures with him and even discussed Taboo. So everyone at Chitty are extremely sweet and super gracious.

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

luvtheEmcee
#174re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/30/05 at 11:01pm

<--------
::applauds him forever::

Out of curiousity, what did he have to say about Taboo? You know, since that film footage is out now and all.

Videos