STRIKE TOMORROW

MargoChanning
#150re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:28pm

Not to mention, both sides are going to start getting calls from the mayor's and the governor's offices, the tourism bureau and representatives of the hotel and restaurant industries very soon to get this thing resolved as soon as possible. With Thanksgiving and the holidays looming and billions in tourist dollars at stake, a lot of very powerful people are going to be putting the heat on the League and the union, so let's see which side blinks first.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#151re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:39pm

Does anyone think it'll be resolved by next weekend?

I know - I know.

I'm just one of those "stupid ignorant selfish tourists", but i'm driving 10 hours from Ohio on a trip i've had planned since May to see a show based on my favorite Disney movie. 4 of 6 of the shows i'm seeing will still be running (see signature), so yes, i'm not exactly as S.O.L. as as many of the others... but I'd still like to see all of the shows I was planning on seeing.

My tickets for Cyrano and Mermaid are both on 11/17 - i'm hoping all the shows are running again by then.

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

MargoChanning
#152re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:40pm

Best answer: Possibly

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MovieGuy1031
#153re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:42pm

Well that's better than an explicit "no"!

Thanks Margo, I can stop stressing now.

Best of luck to all parties involved: I hope everything works out.

- Eeyore

BwayInsider
#154re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 4:45pm

Tkt2Ride-'some jobs will be eliminated but they are asking that those who have to cover the work of a laid offed or fired worker be compensated for having to do even more work. That is fair.'
So how much should they be paid to cover the work of someone who does not perform any work at all but is getting a paycheck? Riddle me that.

While I do know that some of the stage hands are actually trained and skilled, many of them perform jobs almost anyone could learn to do with minimal training. So I say replace local one with new workers who will be grateful to have a job. Period.

neddyfrank2
#155re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 4:59pm

"Charlotte St. Martin just replied to my email. What a lovely person! *rolls eyes*. I wasn't even rude in my email."

Out of curiousity, neddyfrank2, precisely what did you say in your email?

I basically told her that she needs to stop making the stagehands look like the bad guys (which you can see if you read any of her statements) and that even though she denies it, she is the reason for this strike. And then I said that I don't know what she is doing in her office, but whatever she is doing - she isn't very good at it.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#157re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:03pm

Even though you're more than likely right, neddyfrank2, did you expect her not to take offense?

I know you. I know you. I know you.
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 05:03 PM

BwayInsider
#158re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:05pm

neddyfrank2-have you ever held the office of Executive Director of a trade organization? If so you are qualified to judge Ms. Martin's performance. If not, how the heck would you know how good a job she is doing?!

On another note, in every theater there are near 100 people employed by a show, from actors to ushers to ticket takers, concession workers, maintenance workers, not to mention the many acillary jobs created by shows such as press relations, marketing, advertising etc. The stage crew makes up around 20% of the staff of a show. So the strike is putting the other 80% of people OUT OF WORK!!!

Updated On: 11/10/07 at 05:05 PM

neddyfrank2
#159re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:16pm

neddyfrank2-have you ever held the office of Executive Director of a trade organization? If so you are qualified to judge Ms. Martin's performance. If not, how the heck would you know how good a job she is doing?!

How do I know if she is doing a good job?

Well, judging by the fact that most shows on Broadway are closed today due to a strike by stagehands because SHE won't give in. I would say she is doing a pretty SH*Tty job!

BwayInsider
#160re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:17pm

'judging by the fact that most shows on Broadway are closed today due to a strike by stagehands because SHE won't give in. I would say she is doing a pretty SH*Tty job!'

That's such a well-informed statement. Please stop posting if you have no idea what you are talking about.

neddyfrank2
#161re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:21pm

No idea what I am talking about?

I am sitting here looking at strikers outside of a Broadway theater.

Updated On: 11/10/07 at 05:21 PM

NJluvstheatre
#162re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:22pm

Ok, so I’ve been involved in theatre for nearly 30 years. Lived in NYC in the early 80’s, did my thing, toured, regional theatre, summer stock, dinner theatre, blah, blah, blah… Retired from my theatre career in 1997 live in NJ and occasionally do a local theatre gig to get my fix… That’s me..

Now, my opinion on this strike. What other job/career does anyone know of that people can get paid not to work? Let’s see, a straight play requiring no flys needs to hire a flyman to stand around and do nothing, hhmmmmm. A “move-in” that really only requires 10 guys needs 15 so 5 can stand around doing nothing, Hhmmm. And so on, and so on… The Stage Hands Union is being completely ridiculous here with their demands. C’mon folks, admit it. I know, I know.. There’s a bunch of you out there who are Equity members (retired Equity member here), and other Union members who feel you HAVE to show support. But, let’s be honest here. The Stage Hands Union is being ridiculous with these absurd demands. We have all stood backstage and watch a lot of these guys sitting around reading the paper, etc and not even breaking a sweat, getting paid dammed good mind you…. But, now their shutting down Broadway because that flyman who sits and does nothing, but gets paid for it, is out of a job.. Or, that move-in that only needed the 10 guys, the 5 others need a job. So, let’s shut down Broadway, disappoint thousands of people (so we look even worse in the eye’s of the public), drag this out and kill the shows that were not doing well anyway (several shows may close due to this strike) and when all is said and done, we go back to work with fewer shows, less jobs, and more stage hands unemployed… Now that’s using the ole brain…

Lastly, why shouldn’t the producers profit from their shows? THEY are the ones taking the risks and putting up millions to mount these shows (and giving everyone work). 8 out of 10 shows don’t recoup. The unions have forced these high mounting costs.. Sooner or later it’s going to be hard to find anyone who will put money into a Broadway show. Years ago there was indeed a need for the Unions. However, the Unions in general have become over blown, over powered, demanding, and ridiculous. All of them! I for one hope to see a union free Broadway one day and ticket prices at a level that more people can enjoy a live show.

gypsy4
#163re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:23pm

How is mary poppins under a different contact? wouldn't all shows be under the one it looks like this show will be getting
some big ticket boosts over the next couple of days.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#164re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:24pm

Just got back from a sold-out Spelling Bee performance, which was excellent. The audience loved it and the cast seemed to love the enthusiastic audience.

When Olive's cellphone goes off Loggaine said something about the strike and how she was told to go agains the man and she supports the Local Ones, very nice touch. And there were several jokes about "So-and-so had tickets for ______ but ended up here today." It was nice.

But I couldn't help but realize all the donations NOT being made toward BC/EFA during the strike. Think of the possible 1000s of dollars the charity won't make. That is dissapointing.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#164re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:49pm

But I couldn't help but realize all the donations NOT being made toward BC/EFA during the strike. Think of the possible 1000s of dollars the charity won't make. That is dissapointing.

That definitely sucks a lot. I feel so bad.

MovieGuy1031
#165re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:51pm

Wow - I never even thought about the effects this will have on the annual BC/EFA collections.

What a shame.

Once again, here's to a speedy resolution.

- Eeyore

MargoChanning
#166re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:53pm

The theater that Mary Poppins is in, The New Amsterdam, has a different and still valid and unexpired contract with the union, so that's why the strike doesn't involve that show.

BwayInsider
#167re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 5:55pm

Well said NJluvstheatre!

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#169re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:22pm

NJLUV-
Just a few corrections:
It's a "Load-in" not a "Move in"
Also, A flyman is required because all of the lighting instruments (among other things) are in the air above the stage. God forbid something goes wrong and the electrics need to come down and there is no one qualified in the theater to operate the Flies.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#170re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 9:00pm

Michael Cerveris made a crack after Cymbeline this afternoon when he asked "Did you have tickets or did you end up here because of the strike?"

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#171re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 9:37pm

As security officers handed out fliers explaining ticket refund or exchange policies, Patrick Page, who plays the Grinch, emerged in a long black coat, apologized to the crowd and sang one of the production’s popular songs, “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.”

It seemed to brighten the mood.

“Some of the kids are crying,” Mr. Page said. “It makes them smile a bit.”

ok that is kind of adorable

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/nyregion/11scene.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#172re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 9:44pm

Brilliance, Jerby.

localonecrew
#173re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:12pm

just back from the picket line. some points:

1. i have never , in my twenty years as a union stagehand, seen a stagehand get paid to do nothing. the only time we stand around is when the production staff screwed up truck scheduling or paid for a set piece and then decided at the last minute to change it at the shop.

2. we were told to expect 2-3 weeks but to not be surprised if we were still standing out there at christmas.

3. we feel bad for ticket holders, we really do, but its feeding my family versus someones 2 hours of entertainment. my family wins.

4. we walked because the league refused to negotiate. sitting at the table and dictating to us a set of never changing terms is not a negotiation.

localonecrew
#174re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/10/07 at 10:13pm

1 more thing. if any of you think for a second that cutting our salaries and jobs is going to mean lower ticket prices then you are delusional.

Videos