lisa902652
#1STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 8:40pm

Anyone else get confirmation of this?

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#2re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 8:55pm

i have tix to drowsy tomorrow...i'm gonna be FURIOUS if this is true.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 8:58pm

Where did you hear this?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

SakeDad Profile Photo
SakeDad
#3re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:00pm

Until I see it on Local One's website I'm gonna stay tuned. However, Equity did post on their website today that all Equity members are to honor any picket lines set up by Local One or IATSE.

"God, I hope it's not a REAL emergency...I only brought one bottle of Vodka!" That's my Diva Dog, Sake in the picture.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:25pm

There is a Union meeting set for 9am tomorrow (per Local One website)- I dont think that info was there 10 mins ago.

jake6970
#5re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:26pm

Oh god this is really getting me nervous. I really hope the strike doesn't hit next weekend.

paphillyguy
#6re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:28pm

what is confirmed is that there is a meeting at 9 am for the leadership of local one tomorrow morning. The word throughout the union is that the strike begins tomorrow just following the meeting.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#7re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:28pm

Please -- A question mark in your subject line would be a great help to those of us who have tickets for this weekend. As it reads now, it's a statement, not a query. I have a ticket for Sunday, and my heart dropped when I read your subject line.
Updated On: 11/9/07 at 09:28 PM

jake6970
#8re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:29pm

So how long do you guys think this strike will last? A few weeks? A few days?

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#9re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:30pm

Boo, I have tickets to two shows tomorrow. Although one of them is Cymbeline so I should be ok with that.

paphillyguy
#10re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:31pm

unless there is a drastic change between the union and the league over night, there will be a strike tomorrow. It will last until the league caves. Once the union strikes they will not give in until the league agrees to their demands

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#11re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:37pm

i don't know enough to have an opinion of who is right or wrong...but I do know this sucks.

ILuv2shop531
#12re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:38pm

oh i really hope this doesn't go on very long. I have tickets to Spamalot, for 11/24.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#13re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:39pm

i have a friend coming into town tomorrow night and i was going to take him to see "curtains"...ugh, that'll suck.

jerseygurl
#14re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:40pm

Yes. There will be a strike tomorrow. Unlikely that anything will change since so many stagehands live out of the metro area (commutes of over 1&1/2 hours because they can't afford to live and raise families in NYC despite what some of you think) and they have been told they will be needed for picket lines only.
Nothing is certain after that.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#15re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:42pm

Ugh, I was planning on seeing Is He Dead? tomorrow. This sucks.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#16re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:56pm

As soon as we have an official confirmation, please let us know where we should send our checks to help support the families. At this time of year, I know it will be very harsh but at least our family understands why this strike will be important for everyone working on Broadway.

I hope it doesn't hit the Tours but if it does that will have a huge impact on the industry. Let us all be supportive if you care at all for the talent involved in the shows you enjoy. It isn't just about the stagehands but every Union worker who depends on this organization for their benefits, wages and working conditions.

Good luck.

azeller Profile Photo
azeller
#17re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:58pm

Does anyone know how to determine which touring productions will be affected?

"Let's admit one thing right upfront: With the possible exception of Bernadette Peters, not everyone stays young and cute forever." (NYPost 2/2/05)

iluvcioffiiluvtea Profile Photo
iluvcioffiiluvtea
#18re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:59pm

OMG NO!!!!!

I WANNA SEE CURTAINS!!!!!

R.I.P. Laurann 1987-2005

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#19re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 10:02pm

How did you get confirmation of the strike?

iluvcioffiiluvtea Profile Photo
iluvcioffiiluvtea
#20re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 10:05pm

Oh, I dunno. I looked at the title of this thread.

R.I.P. Laurann 1987-2005

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#21re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 10:11pm

when the Union calls a meeting after talks break off (per the Local 1 website) what else does it mean?

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#22re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 10:12pm

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=75484

It's still speculation though, it says that it hasn't been confirmed by either side.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#23re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 10:38pm

http://www.wnbc.com/news/14556483/detail.html

NEW YORK -- Broadway stagehands will go on strike Saturday morning after a breakdown in contract talks, sources told NewsChannel 4.

The decision to walk off the job came after contract talks between Theatrical Stage Employees Union/Local One and the League of American Theatres and Producers stalled.

One source said the reason the media was being made aware of the strike Friday night was so patrons don't attend shows on Saturday. The move could shut down most Broadway theaters.

Sources said the first show to be affected will be the 11 a.m. performance of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" at the St. James Theatre. Stagehands plan to picket in front of the theatre in the morning, sources said.

On Thursday, it was announced that Thomas C. Short, president of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, authorized a strike. Union members had voted unanimously Oct. 21 to give Local One the authority to call a strike against the League.

The two sides, wrangling over work rules and staffing requirements, had been meeting since summer in an effort to reach a deal.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

henryt
#24re: STRIKE TOMORROW
Posted: 11/9/07 at 10:47pm

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if the strike were tomorrow. Obviously, I don't want a strike at all. And I'm sure if you have tickets for this week, a strike would be bad news, but if you look at the big picture, a strike during the holidays would cost the whole city millions. If it now, it still affects the Broadway community just as much, but not as many other industries are dependent on Broadway now as they are during the holidays. Also, ticket sales aren't as high right now, so it would hurt a show much less than during the busiest season. Just putting everything in perspective.

Videos