#176re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:16pm

god bless pbs

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#177re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:17pm

My goodness!

If you're going to a show that you've been told is being taped for Great Performances don't dress like you're going to a baseball game. Gosh, people.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

dave1606
#177re: Company Commentary Thread

This was the last show my father saw before he died. He could not stop talking about it. I got student rush tickets for the front row. I am so glad they filmed it so that I will always have that memory.

ashley0139
#179re: Company Commentary Thread

Them all saying "Happy Birthday Robert" at the very end and walking out took be back to the closing performance. Beautiful.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#180re: Company Commentary Thread

Oh, I miss it so much.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#181re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:18pm

Wait, Sondheim!

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#182re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:18pm

You still in one piece, Em?

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#183re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:19pm

If I hadn't seen this on B'way last February and knew it was coming out on DVD I'd be unfathomably angry, but atleast I got to see Ladies Who Lunch and Being Alive.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

misschung
#184re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:19pm

That's beautiful, Dave.

I wonder if Raul's interview is going to be on after this

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#185re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:21pm

I just realized that the first Raoul I ever saw in "Phantom," umpteen years ago, was in this (Keith Buterbaugh). Small world. re: Company Commentary Thread I love "catching up" with actors again years later.

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#186re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:21pm

I hope so!

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

snl89
#187re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:22pm

Ok, so here's the conclusion I've come to having watched the show again:

I almost feel like, with the exception of a couple of songs (Being Alive being the most obvious), the show would work better WITHOUT the music. I just... am not a fan of the score. Sorry, I'm not. I love Marry Me a Little and Being Alive, and there are a couple of others that are alright, but over all the music actually made the show more boring for me. Truly, in the moments where it was just straight acting, I was SO captivated and I loved it. The writing for the straight scenes is just wonderful, and the entire cast was SO strong acting wise (Raul was still clearly my favorite, but I'm hugely biased of course hehe). I just really did not like a lot of the score, to the point where it was actually a turn off for me.

But that said, the performances were so good that it was still a beautiful, generally captivating piece of theater. And I am SO pleased with the way it was shot. OMG why can't all shows be filmed and released like that? Seriously, it was just GORGEOUS. It's such a great thing to have for posterity.

Oh, and once again I've come to the conclusion that Raul Esparza is one of the greatest stage actors of our time. Yup. :) Being Alive is SO FRIGGIN FIERCE it's ridiculous.

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

angelic1 Profile Photo
angelic1
#188re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:26pm

Wow...just wow...I old-school taped it on a VHS but I might have to buy the DVD. This was beautifully directed and, of course, acted. I made everyone in my apartment stop talking during Being Alive. I had goosebumps. So powerful. I love PBS...I've been OD-ing on Jane Austen and now Company. I must donate so I can be one of the "Viewers Like You" they're always talking about.

"Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead." -Tony Kushner's Angels in America
Updated On: 2/20/08 at 11:26 PM

Clarinetbiter135 Profile Photo
Clarinetbiter135
#189re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:26pm

oh! turned it off the station too soon! there were interviews!!!! ugh.....

luvtheEmcee
#190re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:27pm

If you just had the book scenes, you would literally be seeing the same thing, thematically, over and over and over and over again. What makes Company work is the score, because you get that juxtaposition of complete static stillness against the arc. The scenes don't forward the action. You see Bobby sit around and observe time and time again. Bobby's arc is in his songs. You see him go from Someone is Waiting, which is this total ideal, to Marry Me a Little, which is impractical, to Being Alive, which is the reality. You would have exactly what Company began as without the score -- a series of one-acts.

balletandbroadway
#191re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:27pm

How on earth did Raul lose to DHP again?

I saw the show, along with Curtains and Spring Awakening, a few days before the Tony Awards and thought, "Wow. There's no way he's going to lose that award on sunday."

It's a shame. Raul really, really deserved it over DHP.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."-- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

luvtheEmcee
#192re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:29pm

Hah, Tink, yeah. I had seen it already. The first time I watched it, though, I was crying from the very beginning.

misschung
#193re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:31pm

It's interesting, SNL, that you mention it might work better as a straight play, given what Sondheim just said in his interview. Musicals like Company with both positive and negative messages regarding marriage and relationships, and ambiguous themes generally haven't worked well in the medium of musical theater. I am just so in love with the score, and don't think that it would stand up well with only the book scenes. Another Hundred People wouldn't have a backbone, and I don't think the ending would be as unsettling.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

ashley0139
#194re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:32pm

That last interview with Sondheim is from the Broadway: The American Musical series. They just spliced in the new Company stuff. Interesting.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#195re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:33pm

Wow, I loved seeing this again. I saw it three times on Broadway (only twice with Raul; he was out the first time) but apparently I can never see it enough!

I'm really tired but had one quick question: did anyone else miss actually seeing the "birthday cake" go out at the end? I guess if I had to choose between seeing that and seeing Raul exhale, I'd pick Raul re: Company Commentary Thread, but I kind of wish we could have seen both. Could it have been done in split screen, perhaps? A close-up of Raul on one side and a shot on the right showing the "cake" finally going out?

Maggie-the-schnoodle

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#196re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:34pm

angelic1 :) here's to being old-schooled, I taped it on VHS also.

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#197re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:35pm

orlando peps

it will be rerun at 1am tonight

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

luvtheEmcee
#198re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:35pm

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the profile shot. It's fine, but I would have preferred the whole picture.

Updated On: 2/20/08 at 11:35 PM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#199re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/20/08 at 11:37pm

Random thoughts:

I loved the interview with Sondheim! I'm glad I didn't turn off the TV after the credits rolled.

No bleeping here. Except I thought during "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" that the women call Bobby all sorts of names like "motherf***er" & "c**ksucker" but I didn't hear those. Everything else was complete.

Did anyone else notice a strange audio blip during "Someone Is Waiting"? It sounded like Raul sang "Sar-san" like he meshed both names together. Weird.

I loved the close-ups of Raul's facial expressions, especially at the end of "Side By Side." I never caught that sad look before.

Loved (most of) the camera angles and it looked absolutely gorgeous in HD!

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Videos