pixeltracker

"On the Town" Preview Thread- Page 9

"On the Town" Preview Thread

broadwayguy2
#200ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 5:04am

Bergasse's chroreoghy is strong, I would hardly call the dancers electrifying and virtuosic. There are certainly some incredible dancers up there in quite a number of tracks, but there were also a few dancers who were technically proficient but "dead behind the eyes" as they say and one or two who were consistently off in the performance I saw.

Sing_dance_love,
I absolutely agree that Yazbeck is delivering fine work here, he is just in the wrong role! The Coney Island pas de duex absolutely brings the house down and deservedly so. I think they only moment to surpass it in audience response was Umphress's "I Can Cook Too"

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#201ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 4:55pm

I'm seeing the matinee performance on Nov 1st... the day before I run the NYC Marathon, and I couldn't be more excited!! I think it's the perfect show to pump me up before taking on 26.2 miles through the 5 boroughs of this helluva town!

Question: Do they do an overture? I prefer nothing before the the opening number explodes with sound after the quiet quartet.

Updated On: 9/27/14 at 04:55 PM

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#202ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 5:06pm

EDIT: It's not really an overture, just the preamble to "New York, New York" which I consider to be the opening song for the show.

You don't like overtures? Crazy talk! Yes, they have an overture of sorts and it's very nice.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.
Updated On: 9/27/14 at 05:06 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#203ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 5:32pm

Did they change it? I thought I read that they opened with the national anthem at Barrington.

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#204ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 5:34pm

No, I love overtures! Just for this particular show, I'd choose to go without one, just because the opening is so exhilarating... I think it would have a stronger impact if that's the first time you heard the orchestra. I'm sure it's fine either way... just a preference.

Updated On: 9/27/14 at 05:34 PM

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#205ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 6:06pm

Okay, it's not really an overture so much as it is the opening to the actual show which I always considered to be an overture even though it really isn't. You know, the part that begins with "I feel like I'm not out of bed yet"

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.
Updated On: 9/27/14 at 06:06 PM

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#206ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 6:22pm

Oh that's the workmen quartet. So you don't actually hear the full orchestra until the opening number as the sailors run on? That's what I was hoping!

Updated On: 9/27/14 at 06:22 PM

broadwayguy2
#207ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 6:25pm

The show begins with the Star Spangled Banner arranged for the full orchestra by Josh Clayton, then goes immediately into the quartet. The entire score is performed in whole, as intended, by the Berstein estate.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#208ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 6:31pm

It opens with the national anthem the same as the original production did in 1944. During World War Two, all shows began with the national anthem, as sports events still do.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#209ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 6:36pm

And the original overture is now played as the entr'acte.

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#210ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 6:39pm

Thanks guys! I fully expect my ears to have an orgasm! =)

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#211ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 7:21pm

Yes, it begins with the national anthem, though I don't really consider that to be an overture because it doesn't have much to do with the show.

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#212ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 7:25pm

Only in context of the time period the show is in. I kinda like the idea.

Is the audience expected to stand for it, like at sporting events?

Updated On: 9/27/14 at 07:25 PM

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#213ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 7:27pm

It works with the show being set in NY and the national anthem is always a beautiful piece of music so it's nice to hear.

broadwayguy2
#214ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 8:37pm

The audience instinctively stands and sings along. No cast involvement. The show curtain is the Stars and Stripes.
It is very fitting, but a I will say that in a confined space like a Broadway house, it could potentially be off putting as Americans salute and sing and tourists stand and stare. Haha,

getatme
#215ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 8:47pm

The cast is singing backstage so a lot of audience members join in.

broadwayguy2
#216ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/27/14 at 10:43pm

Yes, but the set up for the audience, doesn't let them see that clue. From the audience's experience, it is a very abrupt start and organic singing, that really, we have been trained to do since birth.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#217ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/28/14 at 12:31am

Wow, what a great show. I had been looking forward to it for weeks, and I was not disappointed. The dancing, staging, singing, lighting, choreography were all fantastic. The scene where Hildy is driving with Chip and the scene with the dinosaur were amazing, very inventive and funny. Jackie Hoffman got plenty of laughs in all her guises. And of course, that glorious music, played to perfection. I love that the musicians in the pit are visible, at least from the mezzanine. I feel this show is the whole package. This is what I go to Broadway for. The show is long, but the time flew by. If I could make any constructive criticism, it would be maybe to cut some of the various nightclubs. That scene dragged a bit. But overall On the Town is a delight!

I had TDF seats in the fourth row of the mezzanine (which is called the Dress Circle), a bit over to the side. The view from there was great. What a gorgeous theater!

Updated On: 9/28/14 at 12:31 AM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#218ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/28/14 at 12:31am

What's the stage like for this one? High? Really asking primarily about sightlines from the orchestra...

broadwayguy2
#219ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/28/14 at 12:34am

Actually, the show deck for the show is very low, so it is not a high stage at all.
They have also added a cross aisle between the orchestra pit (which is large and open) and the first row seats, so are set back further and not staring up.

The cab sequence is a riot and the only time where every single element of the production melds perfectly.

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#220ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/28/14 at 1:05am

I'll be sitting 4th row center Dress Circle. I hear the theatre is huge, so I'm not sure if I'll feel pretty far away or what.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#221ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/28/14 at 7:31am

You'll be fine. It's a big show, so you'll be able to take it all in from there.

MartyO49
#222ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/28/14 at 1:00pm

Saw it on Saturday matinee..TDF row N orchestra on the side...I have seen this show in many versions beginning with the 1971 revival and it never fails to thrill me. This production is one of the best..I loved the three sailors, Hildy and of course Jackie Hoffman. I also loved how this production made it clear that the couples were being intimate. A few minor quibbles like Philip Boykin in the opening (this is not Old Man River!) and Elizabeth Stanley left me cold but all and in all..a real treat and a thrill.. Classic musical theater at it's finest.

Wilmingtom
#223ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/28/14 at 1:14pm

"You know, the part that begins with "I feel like I'm not out of bed yet"

That's the title of the first song in the show and sets up the whole 24 hours premise. NY, NY is the second song in the show.

TheaterGal3
#224ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 9/28/14 at 1:46pm

I wish I enjoyed this show as much as most of the people in this thread have enjoyed it. The orchestra was a highlight as was all of the ballet, but I found the show to be missing something. The woman next to me fell asleep, the people in front of me were restless during the first act and never came back after intermission and quite a few people were talking about it dragging in the middle. I also heard a few people praising the show as I was leaving the theater. It will be interesting to read the reviews when they come out.

This was the first time I've attended a preview. The clapping during the show was constant. At times people started cheering before a number was over. Is this normal for a preview? Are there a lot of friends and family in attendance during these performances?

Videos