pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 95

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2350SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 7:30pm

Thanks for the quote, Talulah. I finally have something worthy of my signature line!

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

SporkGoddess
#2351SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 8:18pm

I know it's been said a million times, but I LOVE your avatar, Phyllis.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#2352SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 8:27pm

We finally got some decent acting from McPhee. In the part where she was dead, we could just see it in her eyes.

Talulah
#2353SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 8:44pm

Actually, I stole the 'can't type it line' from twitter.

Are you guys Broadway snobs or something? Hilty isn't playing a coniving slut because she comes from Broadway? McPhee's performance is bad, not because the writing stinks but that she can't act? Or is it because she doesn't have the appropriate Broadway roots? Let's be honest here. I'll bet Broadway types just hate interlopers even if it just a character on a TV show about Broadway.

FindingNamo
#2354SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 8:51pm

No, it's the lack of skills on McPhee's part.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2355SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 8:52pm

Yes, we ARE b'way snobs -- but that has nothing to with disliking McPhee and liking Hilty. One is poor and one is excellent. McPhee cannot act. It has nothing to do with the fact that she's never been on b'way.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#2356SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:01pm

Meh. Ivy slept with Dev and that was pretty crappy but I'm not sure that bumps her into this "conniving slut" category you speak of. *shrug*

SporkGoddess
#2357SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:19pm

So is Derek a slut too, then?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2358SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:21pm

No, he's a whore.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2359Theresa's Back!
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:22pm

Theresa's back the gloves are off!

Rebeck went on to call Smash‘s poor Season 2 ratings performance (which led NBC to banish it to Saturday’s) the least of its problems. “Most media reporters would agree that the second season is a complete disaster,” she wrote. “and that the troubles of a once promising show go far beyond faring poorly in the ratings.”

Ousted Smash Creator Theresa Rebeck Slams Season 2 as a 'Complete Disaster'

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 4/30/13 at 09:22 PM

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#2360Theresa's Back!
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:30pm

Season 1 was a complete disaster too. Who the hell is she fooling?

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

FindingNamo
#2361Theresa's Back!
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:32pm

I'm not a Broadway snob. What is there to be snobby about?

Talulah
#2362SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:41pm

Soooo it is your 'unbiased' opinion that McPhee can't act? lol

And the character Ivy isn't a coniving slut because she is played by a Broadway lady? Excuse me? Ivy slept with Dev when she found out who he was and then told Karen what they did so that Karen would fall apart (which she did)so Ivy would get to play Marilyn by default. Didn't anyone notice how gleefully Ivy skipped across the stage when Karen went missing? Didn't Ivy set it up so that Karen wouldn't be in rehearsal for the Baby Grand song? A rose is a rose, is a rose. A coniving slut is a coniving slut, is a coniving slut.

Don't get me wrong. I've seen Hilty live. She is very talented. I have also seen McPhee live. I think she and Hilty are even Steven on singing ability. She can certainly hold her own with Andre Bocelli. I also think it is easier to play a coniving slut than it is to play an Iowa corn girl(McPhee is a real-life Beverly Hills born and raised sophisticate) particularly when the words she is given to say by writers who don't deserve the title, make me wretch.

FindingNamo
#2363SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:44pm

McPhee proves weekly that she is unable to act. She regularly appears shocked that human beings communicate and in so doing, use speech. The flat affect of her voice, the glazed eyeballs; not since Laura Bush.

Also, you get a thumb down from me for using language like "slut." Sex shaming is hopelessly regressive.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2364SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:48pm

I'm not a Broadway snob. I am a weed snob.

dramamama611
#2365SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:52pm

And you seem to be taking character traits for personality traits.

They all have equally awful dialogue -- no worse for any one actor. She can sing pop music well enough, but she cannot act.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#2366SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:52pm

She and Auto-Tune can sing pop music well enough.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2367SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:56pm

Katharine has had plenty of opportunities to demonstrate her acting abilities and has wasted them. She has been given some very dramatic scenes, and doesn't seem to be even trying to act them. Megan would've done wonders with those scenes. If she's an actress, her job is to make the lines come to live and the work look good, or at the very least try. Plenty of actresses have succeed with mediocre material. The fact that your making excuses for her is ridiculous.

Are you saying sophisticated women don't have facial expressions? They don't feel, cry, love, they don't feel jealous...?

Updated On: 4/30/13 at 09:56 PM

dramamama611
#2368SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 9:59pm

(No, he's saying that "Iowa corn girls" don't!)

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2369SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:03pm

Oh, that makes more sense.

EricMontreal22
#2370SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:06pm

Meh, Ivy was popping pills at the time. She's a saint (I did message that one thing and that it was not very nice of ol' Ivy, but I still don't think that makes her The Conniving Bitch, especially this season.)

Oh Rebeck! Staying classy. I get that it's prob hard not to gloat about the show's performance this year--but after the reports of all the problems she caused last year, it seems beyond petty. I do love though how she refers to herself by her full name--why didn't she write Julia as doing that?

The Buzzfeed emails she sent are in full here http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/smash-creator-theresa-rebeck-emailed-me

FindingNamo
#2371SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:11pm

She's mad that Tom made fun of her scarves.

Updated On: 4/30/13 at 10:11 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2372SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:18pm

Namo, While I share your disdain for sex shaming, in the right context "slut" and "whore" can be badges of honor. If I have a slutty weekend I'm hardly ashamed of it. Maybe these words take on a different meaning though when used in the gay community than when they are directed towards women?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 4/30/13 at 10:18 PM

EricMontreal22
#2373SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:26pm

I think it also depends with who is calling you (or anyone that) and the intention. If someone you don't know says what a slut or whore you are--at least in my case I wouldn't see that as a nice thing. If I'm with friends and call myself that or someone I know well calls me that and I know the context--than I'm pleased as punch.

FindingNamo
#2374SMASH
Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:27pm

Me three, fellas.

Videos