pixeltracker

"Ugly Betty" to have a musical episode this season

"Ugly Betty" to have a musical episode this season

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1"Ugly Betty" to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 3:13am

Vanessa Williams mentioned it on The Wendy Williams Show tonight.

She also said she'd love to return to Broadway if it worked out with her shooting schedule for "...Betty". I hope she comes back to the stage soon; she was wonderful in INTO THE WOODS.

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#2re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 6:13am

They've wanted to do a musical episode for a while now...I'm wondering whether they're doing it now because the future is uncertain for the show, so want to make sure they got the chance?

I don't think a 'bursting out into song' musical would work here, because it's not like a slightly warped reality where it would be accepted as one of its quirks.

Maybe 'Meade' has a company show every year and 'Mode' are forced to join in? Or...maybe they have to put on a concert to raise funds for the magazine?

I could believe a Chicago-esque episode, where a musical number takes place in an alternate scene, whilst the live action reality is going on?

A scheme plotting number with Wilhelmina, Mark and Amanda....a number with Betty wondering where to go and what to do...Justin with a bit of teenage angst etc.

That could really work actually...

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 9:50am

UGLY BETTY has been renewed for another season (its 4th), so that is quite telling about the show's future.

Also, a musical episode was planned last season but couldn't be worked into the series due to the Writer's Strike. They just pushed the episode for this season.

Nothing more; nothing less.

Fosse76
#3re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 9:54am

"UGLY BETTY has been renewed for another season (its 4th), so that is quite telling about the show's future."

Everyone knows that. It's after the 4th season that's in question, since ABC moved the show to Friday night. Almost everyone in the industry recognizes that as the execution notice of a television show.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#4re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 9:55am

Sounds good to me - hope it happens!

And yes, would love to see Vanessa back on Broadway. She may be a little old for it now, but I always thought she'd be great in IRMA LA DOUCE.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#5re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 9:58am

I've said it in other threads, but if Vanessa Williams comes back to Broadway, I'd love to see her in Applause (with beyonce as Eve) or in Follies (as Phyllis) or as Norma in Sunset Boulevard..

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 10:03am

My life would be complete if I were to see Miss Vanessa Williams play Phyllis Rogers Stone. And I agree that she'd be great in "Applause" as well.

I don't think a 'bursting out into song' musical would work here, because it's not like a slightly warped reality where it would be accepted as one of its quirks.

See, I disagree. I've always thought Ugly Betty DID take place in a slightly warped reality.

timesquare01
#7re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 11:15am

Maybe if Ana Ortiz sings in this she'll get cast as Daniela in the Heights movie. Talk about dream casting lol.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#8re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 11:16am

I actually read this a few months ago. SO excited!

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#9re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 11:25am

All they'd have to do to do a musical episode, is have someone bump their head, and start seeing singing, or have someone take too many pills, its the same thing they do on other shows with musical episodes. Hopefully they will burst into song, they just need to set it up in a way that works.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#10re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 11:55am

Cant wait

Its a shame the show has been used move to the graveyard slot on Friday night, i fear this could be its last season

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#11re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 4:44pm

slight thread jack, but timesquare01 that is such a good idea! She would be amazing!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 5:26pm

Ana Ortiz is ideal for Daniela, especially since Daniela and Hilda are almost the same character, or at least very similar, and that's even without counting the fact they both own a salon.
I'm with Phyllis, I've always thought UGLY BETTY takes place in a fantasy soap opera world, which they established from season 1 when they were going for a mock-telenovela approach. In fact, one of the reasons why I think the show is not good anymore is because it has sort of unraveled and they haven't been able to really keep the nice mix of fantasy and reality that made their season 1 so great to watch. I don't think they need any sort of excuse whatsoever, I mean, I'd believe a musical episode as much as I believed that episode they did with the poisoned perfume.
I know this is not what they are gonna do but I'd love it if they used a number of showtunes in order to tell the story, though I'm sure it'd be fun to see what musical numbers they create for the show, I'm most interested in Vanessa Williams and Becki Newton's material.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

tellybox Profile Photo
tellybox
#13re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 6:24pm

Beyonce playing Eve to Vanessa's Margo would make my year.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#14re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 6:33pm

Here's to Jason Mraz writing the songs!

Have you guys heard the theme song he wrote for the show?
"The Beauty In Ugly" is on itunes in English and Spanish versions - do yourself a favor and enjoy!

P

janice4
#15re: 'Ugly Betty' to have a musical episode this season
Posted: 7/14/09 at 7:58pm

Does anyone remember when they did an entire musical episode on Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I think it would be terrific to do the same on Ugly Betty.