Elphaba's role

Patti_LuPone_Fan Profile Photo
Patti_LuPone_Fan
#1Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:38pm

This is something I do not understand. Elphaba is in 50% of the songs in the show, Why doesn't she have an alternate, It is a bear of a role.Angela Lansbury had an alternate in Sweeney Todd she was in 32% of the songs. Patti LuPone had an alternate in Evita and she had an alternate and she was in 57% of the songs. Why doesn't Elphaba have an alternate?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#2re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:41pm

Just because a role sings a lot doesn't mean that the songs are hard.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:42pm

Are those percentages scientific?

Patti_LuPone_Fan
#3re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:43pm

I did do the math Elphaba is in 11 of 22 songs
Mrs Lovett is in 17 of 30 songs
Evita is in 17 of 30 songs

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#4re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:45pm

Aren't Sweeney Todd and Evita completely sung through?

Though Elphaba is a major role, I don't think it is one that requires an alternate. There are many major roles on Broadway that don't employ an alternate.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/21/09 at 01:45 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#5re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:46pm

Are you counting "Something Bad" as a song Elphaba sings? Would you say that she exerts the same sort of energy it takes to sing "Rainbow High"?

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#6re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:47pm

I'm sure "wonderful" was counted as well, since she has all of 2-3 lines to sing.

The role of Elphaba does not warrant an alternate.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 8/21/09 at 01:47 PM

PiraguaGuy2
#7re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:47pm

re: Elphaba's role

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#8re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:48pm

Did Lansbury really have an alternate?

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#9re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:50pm

I've never heard of Lansbury having an alternate during her run in Sweeney Todd

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#10re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:51pm

Consider the age of the roles as well... Isn't Elphaba often played by performers about 15-30 years younger than those who play the others?

They can handle it.
Updated On: 8/21/09 at 01:51 PM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#11re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:51pm

To answer Phyllis' question: No, she did not. She had a standby who occasionally went on for her, but she was contracted for all eight shows a week and for the most part she did them with 100% commitment and energy.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Updated On: 8/21/09 at 01:51 PM

Patti_LuPone_Fan
#12re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:54pm

I remember reading on the board she had an alternate. Hmm misinformation

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#13re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:56pm

If your numbers were really scientific, you'd note how much TIME each actress spends singing in the show. Perhaps you should come back after you've done that.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#14re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 2:08pm

Idina Menzel went 5 consecutive months without missing a performance as Elphaba.

There's no need for one, if you can get actresses that can handle it.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#15re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 2:13pm

If your numbers were really scientific, you'd note how much TIME each actress spends singing in the show.

this. I've never seen Evita, but I was pretty sure she is rarely not on stage. besides, the tradition of having an alternate started in London with Elaine Paige.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#16re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 2:16pm

On his XM program the other day, Seth Rudetsky said that the alternate for Evita was done by the producers over LuPone's objections. In fact, she did cabaret/night club shows from time to time during her run, sometimes right after performing in Evita.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

PiraguaGuy2
#17re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 2:16pm

One person who actually did need a standby or alternate? Laura Bell Bundy. A couple months into her run she was a wreck.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#18re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 2:31pm

Angela Lansbury did, in fact, have an alternate in Sweeney Todd. I saw the original production in September 1979 and in the lobby of the then-named Uris Theater was a poster with a picture of alternate Marge Redmond (she played one of the nuns in the old Flying Nun series) with a reprint of a rave review of her performance. It was also noted in the lobby and at the boxoffice window that Redmond played all Wednesday and Saturday matinee performances and to purchase tickets with that understanding. This was not unprecedented. In 1963, Elaine Stritch understudied Uta Hagen in Virginia Woolf and played all the matinees. As Stritch once said, "In dramatic acting you can't do Virginia Woolf every night rippin' and roarin' so why should it be any different in musical theater?"

Sweeney Todd is almost completely sung through and often operatic in range (i.e., chest voice, mid-range, head voice and back again in one song) and Lansbury spent the evening running all over the stage. I also recall it was noted in a Lansbury biography that her "Sweeney" costars lost their voices on BW and the national tour while she never did. Evita is also a sung-through musical, though more in the Wicked vein than Sweeney. "Wicked" is not quite as taxing a musical for a trained singer and BW singers are much more heavily miked now than they ever were then (BELIEVE ME). I'm not criticising anyone who plays Elphaba or who likes Wicked. I'm just saying...

Updated On: 8/21/09 at 02:31 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#19re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 3:12pm

Also, if you want to look at roles that have an alternate that don't need one. Christine Daae in Phantom. I remember Willis telling me that while the show does have an alternate she could all 8 shows a week without a problem. I do doubt that over the long run of the show that she was the only actress who played that role that felt the same way. Keep in mind that the hardest thing for the character to sing in the entire show is the last note in the title song, and that is pre recorded.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

snowskittle
#20re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 3:31pm

Judging from the number of actresses who have suffered vocal problems in this role, I'd think an alternate would be a good thing. There's no way to tell beforehand how whether anyone will be troubled by vocal difficulty, but a large number of them have had trouble after assuming the role.

And I don't think it depends on the number or percentage of songs. It's just that several of them are difficult on the voice apparently.

I think an alternate is a good idea. Or, they could let the standby go on a couple of times a week on a regular basis maybe for the matinees, thus having the principal do only six and never having to do double show days.

dg22894
#21re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 3:33pm

I am pretty sure that standby for elphaba gets to go on a fair amount. Another alternate that was not needed was the Cassie Alternate in the recent chorus line revival Cassie has one big song and dance combination and other than that she stands there and talks here and there but nothing compared to most leading roles on Broadway.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#22re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 3:35pm

On his XM program the other day, Seth Rudetsky said that the alternate for Evita was done by the producers over LuPone's objections. In fact, she did cabaret/night club shows from time to time during her run, sometimes right after performing in Evita.

but from what I've read, she sure needed that alternate during out-of-town tryouts. I also read some not nice things about the company tearing down LuPone's reviews backstage and replacing them with reviews of Klausner's performance.

there was an alternate for Kim in Miss Saigon, too. is this done in all major productions of Miss Saigon?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 8/21/09 at 03:35 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#23re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 3:38pm

Well, according to imdb Marge Redmond was a standby. This is the first I have ever heard of an alternate for Mrs. Lovett.

HollyGolightly2 Profile Photo
HollyGolightly2
#24re: Elphaba's role
Posted: 8/21/09 at 3:51pm

"there was an alternate for Kim in Miss Saigon, too. is this done in all major productions?"

Well, Les Mis, one of the most frickin' huge musicals of all time, doesn't have any alternates.

It just depends on how strenuous the role is.

I think there should have been an Elle alternate in Legally Blonde, for instance. LBB's voice was mangled when she left. That's a really difficult role to do 8 times a week.

Videos