pixeltracker

Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?

Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?

April Saul
#1Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 11:14am

Am really on the fence on this, but will be in NYC and it's on TDF. What do you guys think?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 11:17am

I had seen the show a few times and thought it was "ok". I saw it again last night and thought it was much better than I remembered it being. The cast was on fire and having a really great time. I say go for it, if you're in the city. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 11:17am

Yes.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

April Saul
#3re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 11:20am

If I do it, should I worry about going the TDF route? I can't really justify going higher on the price than that...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 11:21am

Nah, I'm sure you'll get a good enough seat at that theater. Even if you're in the back row it's still a great view.

Parks
#5re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 11:25am

Thanks for the heads up on TDF! Just bought 2 tickets for Saturday night! re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother? My first TDF purchase.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#6re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 11:55am

You should go. The energy of a final weekend is always great and you might see Dolly

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#7re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 12:20pm

YES! Go!!!

I enjoyed it more than I did Shrek and Hair.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 12:28pm

Yes, of course you should check out Janney in a Tony nominated performance. She is very winning and it may be her last musical.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

LauriePgh
#9re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 12:41pm

I saw it Sunday and went with very low expectations, but really wanted to see the cast. Absolutley loved it. Wish I had left time to see it again before leaving the city. Can't understand how this show didn't succeed.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#10re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 12:45pm

Yes, of course, you should go see it. Seeing theatre is one of life's true joys!

I'm here in London and have seen a ton of shows these last 2 weeks. Just saw a matinee of "La Cage" today and it was wonderful - and, very different. The theatre is tiny...tiny little theatre and very intimate. The Cagelles are amazing beyond belief, some of their dancing was rather "dark," some of the dialogue has been tweeked, and the songs are different - in terms of their meaning and delivery. A wonderful, wonderful afternoon.

Don't ever question to see a show....no matter what you have seen or heard about it. So many people on this board love to bad mouth a show - as if they can do better. And, a lot of these bashers, haven't even seen the show that they bash. They thrive on..."Well, I heard.......well, so and so told me...." All of them - idiots. Go figure??

There's nothing like that moment when the curtain goes down, and all your thoughts and hopes are concentrated on the stage. Sure, "9 to 5," isn't Sondheim...it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be a fun time at the theatre.

Go........enjoy........don't worry about what you'll pay. That's completely the wrong thought process. You'll remember the experience - the fun you had, the moments that moved you, and that is what it's all about.

Updated On: 9/3/09 at 12:45 PM

PiraguaGuy2
#11re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 1:26pm

Yeah! It's great fun, has a talented, hard-working cast, and deserved a Tony nom.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#12re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 1:40pm

Was disappointed with the show the first time I saw it, but caught it for the second time on Tuesday and really enjoyed myself. I found myself smiling throughout the entire show and can't get some parts of the cast recording off repeat. I definitely recommend you see it before it closes!

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#13re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 1:52pm

I must admit, I'm debating taking the bus to NYC from Boston to finally see it myself...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#14re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 1:57pm

So many people on this board love to bad mouth a show - as if they can do better

EL OH EL

April Saul
#15re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 1:59pm

Okay, I'm going on Saturday afternoon, and if I hate it, it's all your faults....kidding! re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?

Cabchic
#16re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 2:11pm

I really had a great time at the show and I will be seeing it again on Sunday for the final performance. I have a feeling it will be a great crowd that day. At least I hope so!

Yankeefan007
#17re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 2:30pm

My TDF seat was in the center of the center orchestra.

Hope everyone who purchases tickets thru TDF for this piece of crap at least has seats as good as mine.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#19re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 2:47pm

The first time I saw it myself and a friend were going to get student rush tickets to Billy Elliot and the (very rude) man at the box office told us that they werent doing rush that day and that I can buy Premium tickets (If I had money like that I obviously wouldnt be trying to do student rush).

So we were downtown and didnt have a show to see so we brougt tickets for 9 to 5. I REALLY was not expecting anything good from this show but was actually pleasently suprised. Its not breathtaking or classic theater but its a fun evening and I walked out enjoying it.

I am seeing it for my second and last time sunday for the final performance.

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/3/09 at 4:24pm

I know that you've already decided to go but let me just add:

at tdf prices....it's hard NOT to take a chance!

Hoping you enjoy.

(How sad for the cast that tix sales are so bad that closing weekend is on TDF.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#21re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/4/09 at 12:30am

Just to see and hear Stephanie J. Block perform "Get out and Stay Out" live is a definite must.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#22re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/4/09 at 6:34am

People.stop.apologizing. for a show being fun. You don't have to.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#23re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/4/09 at 8:53am

It is an enjoyable crowd pleaser. If you are looking to forget the troubles of life for a few hours. This is certainly the musical for that. I certainly enjoyed it the time I saw it. I wished I could have revisited it again. I hope Allison Janney comes back to Broadway soon!

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#24re: Last chance to catch 9 to 5 this weekend: should I bother?
Posted: 9/4/09 at 1:49pm

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Videos