pixeltracker

Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011

Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 11:28am

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/133464-Priscilla_Queen_of_the_Desert_Will_Strut_to_Broadway_in_Early_2011

The North American premiere of the musical Priscilla Queen of the Desert in Toronto in fall 2010 will be followed by a spring 2011 opening on Broadway, according to an industry casting notice.

Produced by Back Row Productions, Specific Films, Rafford Films, Nederlander Productions, Inc., Terri and Timothy Childs in association with MGM On Stageâ??Darcie Denkert and Dean Stolber, the musical based on the Academy Award-winning film of the same name will play 12 weeks at the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto starting in October 2010 before moving to a Broadway house to be determined. A Broadway opening of March 2011 is listed on the casting notice.

The producers have not officially publicly announced this plan. Changes in exact dates routinely occur between such an early casting notice and the actual production.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 10/2/09 at 11:28 AM

Texas Yankee Profile Photo
Texas Yankee
#2re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 11:44am

blaxx, do you predict flop (ala Taboo) or hit (Billy Elliot). and i ask in sincerity (because i enjoy your witty posts).

dramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
#2re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 11:49am

HOORAY! YES! I hope it does well over here like it has in the UK.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 11:51am

I haven't seen the show, but I know everyone and their drag queen moms rave about it. It depends on the other shows of the season, of course, but at least this movie to musical comes from a quality source and uses a lot of the hit songs from the film, so I predict hit.

I just hope it doesn't take too much longer, or I doubt it would happen altogether.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

frapperia
#4re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 12:47pm

This one could go either way. It's definitely doing well as far as London is concerned and pulls in a really mixed audience, but since the source material isn't as widely known in America, it could struggle.

I've seen the show and it really is wonderful - lots of fun, very uplifting but with heart to it as well. The Bob-Bernadette relationship is particularly good. Yes, it's jukebox, but the story is strong, the songs aren't just tacked on but make sense within the narrative and the sparkle and glamour will no doubt appeal to many.

I really, really hope Tony Sheldon gets to reprise Bernadette if it does happen - if you've seen him you'll know what I mean. He's SO good, miles above what Terence Stamp managed in the film. He brings such nuance to the role.
Updated On: 2/19/10 at 12:47 PM

Texas Yankee
#5re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 1:43pm

Personally, I look forward to this production as well because I loved the movie.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 4:36pm

I just pray they don't dumb it down and try to make it too "family friendly" for Broadway audiences.

eatlasagna
#7re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 4:51pm

i always get this movie confused with the Too Wong Foo movie!

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#8re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 4:51pm

This looks great and I loved the movie...but those were my exact words about 9 to 5, and look where that got us!

Texas Yankee
#9re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 5:15pm

eatlasagna, To Wong Foo had Blade, Johnny Castle and Clown (from Spawn).

Priscilla had General Zod, Elrond and the guy from Memento (Guy Pearce). hope that helps, hehe.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#10re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 5:32pm

Saw the show in London in August and it's a lot of fun. All disco songs - people were clapping and the engery was great.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#11re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 5:44pm

How about a lil Rocky Horror vs Priscilla?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

leefowler
#12re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 5:49pm

I wish them luck, but having seen the show in London, they have a LOT of work to do.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

TIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
#13re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 8:10pm

Tony Sheridan? Who dat? ;-> If they bring over Tony Sheldon then you're in for a real treat - he delivers a great performance, one which gives the show its heart.

As for work to be done, I really fear that cultural unfamiliarity, political correctness and a desire to make Priscilla more family/tourist-friendly will mean the show might be eviscerated - not to mention a certain degree of critical snobbery regarding 'jukebox' musicals. Let's hope the producers and their US backers have the courage of their convictions and unleash it in all its frivolous, flippant, fabulous finery.

Seen some shows in my time....

Holbee
#14re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 8:16pm

Oh great. You're all applauding the arrival of another juke box musical. Well done, y'all. Well done.

frapperia
#15re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 8:18pm

I think the litmus test for whether it has a chance in hell will be how La Cage does next spring.

Calm yourself down, there, Judgey McMental. Jukebox does not automatically equal bad unless you're a thorough snob.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#16re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 8:31pm

From the Equity website casting notice for the Toronto/Broadway company(ies):

All principal roles are male, and all are available.

So as of right now, it seems they are not planning on bringing over any of the current cast.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 10/2/09 at 08:31 PM

Holbee
#17re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 8:58pm

Jukebox ALMOST always means "bad" creatively, but for musical theatre songwriters its always just plain bad.

Each time a jukebox musical is produced it lowers our standards. Bit by bit. Its insidious.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 9:11pm

Oh great. You're all applauding the arrival of another juke box musical. Well done, y'all. Well done.

It's a better attitude than the one you are currently displaying.

Each time a jukebox musical is produced it lowers our standards. Bit by bit. Its insidious.

You're not serious, are you? Or do you sincerely believe the score is the only creative component in a musical? I cannot be alone in thinking an original score automatically validates a show as being well written, more artistic or more entertaining than a jukebox musical. Jukebox musicals have historically had more flops than hits just like the fate of most musicals with original scores that open every season. Not everyone is looking for Sondheim nor are they required to do so.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Holbee
#19re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 9:21pm

The ONLY good thing about jukebox musicals is that they give work to actors.

Of course you are completely valid in your opinion that you enjoy these shows. And I'm sure you can't comprehend how sad it is that you do.

Why not write an original score to Priscilla? No, its lazier and much more cost effect and producer-safe to use a disco score. And, yes, probably more crowd pleasing. Cause that's all that matters, right? How easy. How unchallenging. I'm sure you're applauding adding "I'm A Believer" to Shrek as well.

Again, by your response you have no idea how sad your support of the continuing erosion of the musical theatre is.
Updated On: 10/2/09 at 09:21 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#20re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 9:29pm

"The ONLY good thing about jukebox musicals is that they give work to actors."

So the stage managers, designers, dressers, house managers, company managers, assistants, ushers, musicians, conductors, directors, choreographers, sound ops, doormen - it's not a good thing that they get work?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Texas Yankee
#21re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 10:30pm

Holbee, I see your point. I really do. It's almost the same argument some have made about reality tv ruining the quality of broadcast television.

With that being said; however, I don't necessarily subscribe to the ideology that support for this show will deter other creative artists from producing something wholly original, nor do I believe it will prevent such productions coming to Broadway.

If anything Next To Normal and In The Heights are proof of this. As I see it, there is room for everyone, despite how one feels about the over all quality of jukebox musicals in general.

This show has the one-two punch of not only being a jukebox musical, but a movie to musical adaptation as well, which spells double trouble for most against the genres, yet I still have faith it won't be the be all end all of Broadway you are purporting it to be.

Anyhow, if all of this is sad to you, I'm sorry, but in reality it can't be helped. Hopefully there are things in the near future that will be exciting enough for you to look forward to and this will just be a blip in your memory.

frapperia
#22re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 10:48pm

Some bits and bobs for those who want a better idea of what it'll look like...

Here's a video of the UK production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQXk8R9uzI (don't watch if you don't want to be spoilt for costumes etc).

UK cast in rehearsals before the show started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpKiy1NrCVg&NR=1

Aussie cast performing back in 2007 (spoilers for costumes and song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIThHLuuRZA

UK Divas performing a couple of tunes on a chat show (these guys have such amazingly powerful voices!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BL6nYiSGw

Oh, and what Stephen Fry thinks (and he has good taste!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hRIGfCGZHg

Also, Tigg tells me they've been trying out some new script bits, possibly to make it more understandable for Americans? Like an added line about Joan Rivers, no more 'raw prawn' and getting rid of that godawful 'put a bucket over your head' line, which has never got a laugh when I've seen the show...wonder if it did in Oz?
Updated On: 10/2/09 at 10:48 PM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#23re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 11:12pm

The Toronto production had been cast a few months ago and in an article Director Simon Phillips was quoted as saying that they had cast the entire show (from local talent) save for one of the three leads. Would they use that cast or do they have to recast Americans as the show is going to Broadway?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#24re: Priscilla Queen of the Desert Will Strut to Broadway in Early 2011
Posted: 10/2/09 at 11:17pm

Recast with Americans. The Toronto cast was released and some have since auditioned in New York for the Broadway company.

Videos