pixeltracker

How many times have you seen Wicked

How many times have you seen Wicked

skibumb5290 Profile Photo
skibumb5290
#1How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:41am

So I saw Wicked for the 5th time today, I won the lottery, and I was just wondering how many times everyone else has seen it.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:43am

Two: once pre-Broadway in San Francisco, and once on Broadway from the lotto seats.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#2re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:44am

15, not including the shortened Universal Studios Japan version, which I've seen once

and LizzieCurry, I thought you didn't like Wicked

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#3re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:46am

4 - three lotto wins for the Boston tour here, and one lotto win for the Broadway production last year. I never actually won any of the four, whoever I was with at the time actually won.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:46am

How can you decide whether you don't like something if you haven't seen it? It's extremely logical to think they saw it once pre-Broadway, then wanted to give it an extra chance on Broadway. I'd be much more willing to accept someone doesn't like a show if they've actually seen it.

I've seen Wicked ONCE in Sydney, Australia. I want to see it again, though.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/19/09 at 12:46 AM

musicaltheatrefan3
#5re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:49am

I'm surprised she tried the lottery if she didn't like the show the first time. and whether or not LizzieCurry likes Wicked doesn't change my opinion of her as a person, just saying.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:52am

As I said, if she saw it pre-broadway it seems logical she would want to give it a second chance or see if it has improved at all etc..

I think if she went with hesitations she'd be more likely to pay a significantly discounted price (i.e. lotto) than buy a full price ticket, too.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:55am

"and LizzieCurry, I thought you didn't like Wicked"

Maybe she thought she would like it after it came to Broadway...?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#8re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:56am

Or maybe she's one of those weird people who likes having informed opinions.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

musicaltheatrefan3
#9re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 12:57am

Okay, whatever. I'm just surprised someone would see a show that they didn't like more than once, but I don't even know for sure if she doesn't like it. Chill out!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:06am

I've heard that unless I've travelled the world and speak 3 languages I'm incapable of 'chilling out', sorry.

Updated On: 10/19/09 at 01:06 AM

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#11re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:08am

Until you've seen the Icelandic company of Wicked, you really can't say you've seen Wicked at all.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

musicaltheatrefan3
#12re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:19am

The only current planned international productions of Wicked, as of now, are:

Oberhausen, Germany (March 17, 2010)
Netherlands (not clear yet which city. I think it will be that new VandenEnde Theater which is going to open next year in South Amsterdam. The rumors of Scheveningen have faded since Mary Poppins was confirmed for the Fortis Circustheater).
Copenhagen (2011)
Helsinki (late 2010 or early 2011)
and there's always a possibility of San Francisco transferring to Toronto, but I don't really consider that an international production

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:23am

Hmmm, you didn't understand the joke. I think it must be because scott68 is too unsophisticated and 'lowly' for you to understand; I'm sorry. Please forgive him.

Updated On: 10/19/09 at 01:23 AM

millie_dillmount
#14re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:25am

"Okay, whatever. I'm just surprised someone would see a show that they didn't like more than once, but I don't even know for sure if she doesn't like it. Chill out!"

Because sometimes the actual Broadway production can be a huge improvement over the pre-Broadway one, and your opinion can change. How can you expect people to "chill out" (by the way, no one was even rude to you) when you act like some know-it-all who thinks you are so amazing because you travel a million countries?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#15re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:26am

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

LizzieCurry
#16re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:26am

I don't dislike Wicked, but I don't really like it, either.

My friend and I had seen Julia Murney in Lennon (pre-Broadway) and while we were in NY, wanted to see her in Wicked -- so we both did lotto. My friend won.

Julia was out that day.

OH SNAP!

Updated On: 10/19/09 at 01:26 AM

musicaltheatrefan3
#17re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:27am

Yes, it is. There's nothing humorous about joking about an Icelandic production of Wicked. Exciting as that would be, it hasn't happened and probably won't happen for years. Wicked seems to be expanding internationally slower than other very financially successful shows. They seem to be focusing more on productions in the US, with sit-downs in 3 different cities (Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco) and 2 North American tours in addition to a Broadway production, and yet it's only played in 4 other countries (technically 5 if you count the stops in Canada on the first North American tour, but there were never any sit-downs there).

Rent only took 3 years from Broadway to Iceland and Les Mis only took 2 years from London to Iceland.

musicaltheatrefan3
#18re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:30am

LizzieCurry, did you see Saycon or Lisa? My guess is Lisa (who is awesome) because Saycon only covered Julia in her first month as Elphaba on Broadway.

LizzieCurry
#19re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:31am

I saw Lisa. She was very good.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:37am

I know from a good source that Rita Brescia is going to open the Icelandic production.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

millie_dillmount
#21re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:39am

Elphie or Glinda?

LizzieCurry
#22re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:39am

I believe Bjork is Glinda.

millie_dillmount
#23re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:42am

I wonder if they will let her wear her swan dress instead of Glinda's usual pink dress in the "Popular" scene.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#24re: How many times have you seen Wicked
Posted: 10/19/09 at 1:42am

Rita has been in a few Wicked productions and she will belt better than Sho, who's my favorite Elphie after Lucy, Eden and Kristy.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE